The TV News Thread (Spoiler-Free, Please)

Ricky Gervais talks with Digital Spy about his post-Extras plans, says TV Squad:
TV Squad said:
According to the UK entertainment site Digital Spy, Ricky Gervais is talking about doing a spin-off of Extras, which he recently concluded with a holiday special. The spin-off would focus on Shaun Williamson's character Barry (referred to most of the time as "Barry from EastEnders") and co-creator Stephen Merchant's clueless agent Darren Lamb.

Williamson confirmed to a British radio station that he is in talks with Gervais about the spin-off. "We talked half-jokingly about a show with the pair in a camper van, solving crimes," he told the station.
More in the link above.

TV Squad comments on Morgan Spurlock signing a two year deal with FOX:
TV Squad said:
Given the impact that man has made in the documentary world (particularly with his upcoming film Where In The World is Osama Bin Laden?) , it's no surprise that a network like Fox would try to get him under contract. Spurlock is good at making documentaries that examine the fears and problems of American people (terrorism, obesity) and Fox is good at exploiting those problems for profit.
More in the link above.

right now. fox news channel
I don't get FOX on my cable.

Though I'd probably remove it from the channel list anyway. I did the same thing for the local network that was syndicating Jerry Springer and Wheel of Fortune.

I don't get FOX on my cable.

Though I'd probably remove it from the channel list anyway. I did the same thing for the local network that was syndicating Jerry Springer and Wheel of Fortune.

lol, well i don't usually watch it, but they are the only ones broadcasting the debate

Hillary Clinton to Appear on The Daily Show

She's already done a top 10. She's had a heart-to-heart with Tyra. And now, Hillary Clinton is set to appear on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Monday, March 3 (11 pm/ET, Comedy Central). While she has appeared on the show once before, Monday's ep will be her first appearance since announcing her candidacy for president.

Stewart, who also hosted last Sunday's Academy Awards, has had a number of other candidates on his show, which has ongoing election programming as part of its Indecision 2008 series. Among the candidates present and past who've sat down with Stewart are John Edwards, who announced his 2004 campaign on the show, Rudy Giuliani (remember him?), Barack Obama and others. How will Hillary measure up? Will she impress the pants off Stewart and his audience? Or just seem less witty in the face of his searing humor?

This I gotta see. They've been making fun of her (more than anyone else) ever since the strike ended.

I'm too lazy to choose one source to specify, but several TV blogs have noted the following item for fans for Firefly and Drive's Nathan Fillion:

He will be playing the lead in a new pilot entitled "Castle", written and produced by Andrew Marlowe and directed by Rob Bowman (The X-Files) under the ABC network, continuing Fillion's healthy relationship with the network as a recurring character on Desperate Housewives.

Castle is a "witty drama"about a best-selling mystery novelist who acts as a consultant helping the NYPD homicide department solve cases. Ruben Santiago-Hudson will play the chief of police and a female lead, described as a "pretty, brassy detective" is yet to be cast.

Castle is a "witty drama"about a best-selling mystery novelist who acts as a consultant helping the NYPD homicide department solve cases. Ruben Santiago-Hudson will play the chief of police and a female lead, described as a "pretty, brassy detective" is yet to be cast.

So this is "Murder He wrote"

I think it works for the actor though.

Anything works for that actor , at least according to a lot of dreamcasting/dreammovie entries.

In fact I can see it now.

ABC network CEO - "They brought back night rider , Flash gordon , Even Buck Rogers is getting a new film. People are in a nostalgic frenzy. Let's do a remake of .... Battlestar galactica!"

ABC employee - "They've already done that sir. It's doing pretty well."

ABC network CEO - "Ok then ..... How about Murder she wrote"

ABC employee - "Good Idea sir. I'll go cast it now."

*ABC employee makes a Murder she wrote dreamcast with Nathan Fillion as Jessica Fletcher*

Anything works for that actor , at least according to a lot of dreamcasting/dreammovie entries.

In fact I can see it now.

ABC network CEO - "They brought back night rider , Flash gordon , Even Buck Rogers is getting a new film. People are in a nostalgic frenzy. Let's do a remake of .... Battlestar galactica!"

ABC employee - "They've already done that sir. It's doing pretty well."

ABC network CEO - "Ok then ..... How about Murder she wrote"

ABC employee - "Good Idea sir. I'll go cast it now."

*ABC employee makes a Murder she wrote dreamcast with Nathan Fillion as Jessica Fletcher*
Willverine: "Ugh, I hate Nathan Fillion. And Famke Janssen, too."

Langsta: "Nathan Fillion isn't even a woman! Or from Cabot Cove, Maine!"

Last edited:
From The Hollywood Reporter comes news that Matthew Perry (Friends,Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip) is collaborating with Peter Tolan, co-creator of The Job and Rescue Me to produce a pilot for Showtime:
Showtime is getting into business with Matthew Perry and Peter Tolan with "The End of Steve," a dark comedy that the duo are writing and executive producing.

The pay cable network has given a pilot commitment with a substantial penalty to the half-hour project, which is from Sony Pictures TV. Perry also will star as the title character, an egomaniacal local talk show host who is on a reluctant path to redemption.

Showtime president of entertainment Robert Greenblatt said, "I've been trying to get into business with Peter Tolan for literally 20 years, so my persistence finally paid off. And I couldn't be happier than to have him co-creating this bitingly funny character with Matthew Perry, who seems born to play this character better than anyone I can think of."

"This role will show fans that he can be not only funny but also reach to some dark places," he said. "It will be a departure from the way America thinks of Matthew. This is the beginning of a really exciting journey."

Last edited:
There's a new show starting on Monday in the UK called "Dead Set".

It's about Zombie invasion occurring and they attack the british Big brother show contestants (reality TV people who've been chosen specifically to wind each other up). Basically they've all gotta work together but they're all really really annoying.

It's also produced (or something) by Charlie Brooker, journalist who also did the series Nathan Barley with Chris Morris. I really love his articles and pretty much everything he ever does, so I'm definitely checking this out. It should also be released on DVD before Xmas. Here's the link

http://www.e4.com/deadset/story.html

Heroes creator Tim Kring, struggled to describe why so many people prefer to watch his show via Tivo or through online downloads, effectively hurting the show's Nielsen score:
Tim Kring said:
[Serialized storytelling] is a very flawed way of telling stories on network television right now, because of the advent of the DVR and online streaming. The engine that drove [serialized TV] was you had to be in front of the TV [when it aired]. Now you can watch it when you want, where you want, how you want to watch it, and almost all of those ways are superior to watching it on air. So [watching it] on air is related to the saps and the dips**ts who can't figure out how to watch it in a superior way.
That's right: He just said that people who try to control their viewing experience are schmucks. At least that's what it seems. TIME Magazine's James Poniewozik offered a quick rebuttal:
James Poniewozik said:
"…the idea that DVRs and streaming make it harder to follow serial shows is so transparently ridiculous I seriously wonder if Kring even believes it. I mean, OK, maybe in the sense that alternative platforms have driven down live viewing across the board and made it more challenging to make the same kind of money off advertising. But that's hardly limited to serial shows. And time-shifting, streaming and watching on DVD are precisely what has made it more attractive for viewers to watch serial shows."
However, Kring clarified his point, insisting that the awkward phrasing above was an accidental self-mangling of what he really meant to say.
Tim Kring said:
I need to strongly apologize for the slightly mangled quote of mine that is making it's way around the internet. It was made while trying to explain the rise in DVR and online audience for the show. I was making the point that these platforms now offer a superior way to watch the show (without commercials, with extra content, commentary, at the audience's convenience, etc.) And went on to say how it's getting to the point where "watching the show on the air is relegated to the poor saps and dip****s who can't figure out how to program their DVR's". (Or something close to that) It was a boneheaded attempt at being "cute" and making a point. Instead, it turned out to be just plain insulting and stupid. I know now how it sounded, but I truly never meant to suggest anything negative about our audience. No one cares more about the fans than we do at Heroes, and no one appreciates them more than me. We are grateful for whatever way people are finding our show. Now more than ever.

I want to take this opportunity to say that I'm very sorry for this careless, lame remark. The best way to make it up to you is to live up to my promise that the upcoming episodes of the show are fantastic. I think you'll agree we're really on a roll and we couldn't be more excited about the last four episodes of "Villains" and the upcoming volume, "Fugitives", which we feel will be a huge hit with the audience.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Humbly,
Tim Kring
IMHO, I believe him. The phrasing is so weirdly put in the IGN interview that I have trouble believing that what he said was what he meant.

Latest posts

Back