The Ultimate FF as celebrities

E

Excelsior Club
Does anyone besides me remember when they first announced this series it was supposed to be that The Fantastic Four were these big celebrities, appearing in tabloids and stuff? Like the opposite of Spider-Man? Even the cover to #5 is based off this. Plus, it was supposed to be similar to the movie plans.

I am really enjoying Ellis's writing but I'd like to see the fame and fortune side of things touched on. Similar to the media blitz the Ultimates experienced when they were launched.

I never heard of that. Ofcourse when it came out, I didnt go online for comic news and stuff.

Where did you hear about it?

well, things could still turn out that way, down the road.
and if they don't I wouldn't care much either.
After all, the only reason the wanted to make the UFF celebrities was probably the fact, that their 616 counterparts have been celebrities for most of their career. And if I have to choose between a well though-through change and sticking to 616-concepts without thinking, I'm sure where I stand.

No, no. I actually think that it's better that they are keeping it a more scientific approach rather than the fame way. It seems to me like by having the Baxter Building being described as a think tank rather than a palace, it's a much better title and one that belongs in comics. They can make the FF famous all they want in the movie, but I really feel the science should be kept in the stories. I like it that way. Think it's brilliant, really...

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #68 & #69
Written by Brian Michael Bendis
Pencils & Cover by Mark Bagley

PARTS 1 & 2 (OF 2) Johnny Storm realizes that despite his new flame powers and fame on the horizon, he still doesn't have a high school diploma. And where does the young New Yorker enroll? Why none other than a certain Queens high school that also has one Peter Parker - Spider-Man - as a student. And what's up between Johnny and sweet Liz Allen? Watch the sparks fly!

"Fame on the horizon"
Well, I guess that explains it. Way I see it, currently as its early on in their career, the Army (which basically funds the Baxter Building) wants to keep the FF under wraps. This is evidenced in the second arc where Ben complains about not being let outside due to his appearance, though Johnny gets to go outside because he can still pass for human when he's not flamed on. I expect as the UFF career continues and they face different threats, their celebrity status will grow despite the Army's efforts, and in fact at this point they'll probably do as SHIELD did with the Ultimates and sponsor them as a super group or something. Either way, many times the FF have been mentioned in the other books, so we must assume that by the time the UFF timeline catches up to the rest of the Ultimate books, they've gained some degree of notoriety. After all, their first fight as a super-group was in the middle of the street in New York City, and in the current arc I think they're managing to break several international laws as they go after Doom in Europe. Yup, don't think the UFF will be no-names for too long in the books.

I want to see the UFF as celebrities. I mean thats why the FF in the 616 are as big as they are. I hope they do become celebrities

I do, and hope it happens. That's what they are all about - they are the opposite of Spider-Man.

DIrishB - thanks for that post. I totally glossed over that and forgot it. :D

There's also the fact the Reed is already somewhat of a celebrity in science and technology circles.

In that respect, I think I can accept the celebrity, but if it is mainstream, "Let's let the Thing be the next action hero next to Jet Lee," Or "Let's let the Human Torch have his own rap album," Or "Let's make action figures and dolls of Reed and Sue," that would just insult the science put into this title. Something's there that other comics don't have and I want it to stay there.

hero next to Jet Lee," Or "Let's let the Human Torch have his own rap album," Or "Let's make action figures and dolls of Reed and Sue," that would just insult the science put into this title. Something's there that other comics don't have and I want it to stay there.

I doubt it will be like that.

First of all:
I doubt the FF are actually set up in the past. They are most likely in current continuity.
Past references to them ought to be ignored, even with the Dr. Reed Richards notes.
I don't think Ellis's direction will lead the FF anywhere near the fame of the Ultimates.
Think about it, though: the FF could be made into action figures, Jonny could bring out his own rap-album, and the stories themselves could still centre around science fiction.

In that respect, I think I can accept the celebrity, but if it is mainstream, "Let's let the Thing be the next action hero next to Jet Lee," Or "Let's let the Human Torch have his own rap album," Or "Let's make action figures and dolls of Reed and Sue," that would just insult the science put into this title. Something's there that other comics don't have and I want it to stay there.

I think that's a little bit extreme.

You know Johnny making a rap album woldnt be so far fetched. Johnny would likely make a rap album cause he thinks he's the shit. The Thing would be followed around by paprazzi and he get pissed and stuff. Reed and Sue, I dont know. I can see it working

You guys see where this could go wrong now, right?

I don't think it's fair to the writer(s) to assume it will take that kind of turn. It certainly hasn't come out that way at any time in the past for the 616 book.

Latest posts

Back