The Ultimate Universe

-beardoms-

Well, lately the ultimate universe has been receiving a lot of bad credit, mostly because of Loeb. I haven't read Ultimates 3 yet so I am not going to say anything. But in my opinion the Ultimate Universe is the best. It is the most intriguing comic universe there is, I like how a lot of the things is related, like how spider-man was created is linked in with the hulk , etc. It's fantastic. There are a few stories that I can't stand, mostly the Ultimate FF ones (didn't like God War, or silver surfer or most of the recent stuff).
But what I am trying to say is the people have very little faith in this universe, people are moaning about the mess up with the writers. For instance Bendis has re-writ what happened to Peter's mum and dad. But I personally feel that the writers have a plan.
I have a wacky solution to the mess up by Bendis, if it was a mess up. Wouldn't it be cool if when Peter was found by Fury he put him to adoption, then someone adopted him, and these people were the people who died in the plane crash, so therefore Aunt May is not actually peters real aunt. I think that would add an interesting twist to the story. Thoughts please.
Anyway, okay I haven't read Ultimates 3 yet, I plan to when it is released next month in TPB. But if it is such a terrible, don't complain, it's a story which is part of the greatest comic universe ever. Let's just go and see how ultimatum works out.
Another thing I want to see is no more ongoing issues , etc. It has been hinted that X-Men and FF will be cancelled. They should all be cancelled except spider-man, after that they should release Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D which is a new ongoing story, it features a lot of the x-men, FF and Ultimates. Every four issues is a new story, that story may revolve around a team, a character or all of them. That's how I think it should work, Thoughts about this one as well please.
Another thing that I have a small issue with is the look of the watchers, I thought the watchers existed outside of time and space and that they watched every universe, therefore they should be the same people seen in 616 comics. This issue with the watchers has brought me to a conclusion. The ultimate universe was meant to be a re-boot, but it existed in another dimension, I believe that the ultimate universe is a re-boot but it doesn't exist in an alternate universe it is a new set of universes, it actually a re-boot not a parallel universe, do you see what I am trying to say?
Anyway lets just have some faith in the Ultimate Universe.

Last edited:
Well, lately the ultimate universe has been receiving a lot of bad credit, mostly because of Loeb. I haven't read Ultimates 3 yet so I am not going to say anything. But in my opinion the Ultimate Universe is the best. It is the most intriguing comic universe there is, I like how a lot of the things is related, like how spider-man was created is linked in with the hulk , etc. It's fantastic. There are a few stories that I can't stand, mostly the Ultimate FF ones (didn't like God War, or silver surfer or most of the recent stuff).
But what I am trying to say is the people have very little faith in this universe, people are moaning about the mess up with the writers. For instance Bendis has re-writ what happened to Peter's mum and dad. But I personally feel that the writers have a plan.
I have a wacky solution to the mess up by Bendis, if it was a mess up. Wouldn't it be cool if when Peter was found by Fury he put him to adoption, then someone adopted him, and these people were the people who died in the plane crash, so therefore Aunt May is not actually peters real aunt. I think that would add an interesting twist to the story. Thoughts please.
Anyway, okay I haven't read Ultimates 3 yet, I plan to when it is released next month in TPB. But if it is such a terrible, don't complain, it's a story which is part of the greatest comic universe ever. Let's just go and see how ultimatum works out.
Another thing I want to see is no more ongoing issues , etc. It has been hinted that X-Men and FF will be cancelled. They should all be cancelled except spider-man, after that they should release Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D which is a new ongoing story, it features a lot of the x-men, FF and Ultimates. Every four issues is a new story, that story may revolve around a team, a character or all of them. That's how I think it should work, Thoughts about this one as well please.
Another thing that I have a small issue with is the look of the watchers, I thought the watchers existed outside of time and space and that they watched every universe, therefore they should be the same people seen in 616 comics. This issue with the watchers has brought me to a conclusion. The ultimate universe was meant to be a re-boot, but it existed in another dimension, I believe that the ultimate universe is a re-boot but it doesn't exist in an alternate universe it is a new set of universes, it actually a re-boot not a parallel universe, do you see what I am trying to say?

You want to talk about faith? Read Ultimates 3. By the end, you will be clinging to your faith, I guarantee it. Don't tell me not to complain about Ultimates 3 when you haven't even read it yourself. When you get the TPB, then we'll talk.

Making Peter's "first" adoptive parents the ones that died in the plane crash?
1) Peter will have had TWO sets of parents that died - give the kid a break
2) Uncle Ben not being Peter's real uncle? It's a twist, but it makes Peter's career as Spider-Man, living by the strict moral code of power/responsibility, seem pointless....his Uncle was a fraud?! Everything Peter's believed is a lie?!
3) More convoluted backstory....It'd be better if there was no plane crash at all, no "first" adoptive parents - just Richard, Mary, Ben, May

The Ultimate universe has pretty much always been a separate dimension from 616....It is confusing, but think about the N-Zone, all the other lettered "zones" that have been mentioned. Ultimate universe's Annihilus is from a different universe, but he's still considered ULTIMATE Annihilus.

I have no faith left in the majority of the Ultimate Universe. This is almost entirely Ultimates 3's doing, although not solely. NONE of the books have been as good as they were initially. I'll admit that I've never read UFF, but UXM has been awful since the end of the Magical arc, and USM does this thing where it fluctuates between win and fail with such frequency that I find myself only ever cautiously optimistic about any new issue. Bendis is no longer consistent with it, and that's an issue. Ultimates 3 is just assastic, and is something of a slap in the face to those of us who enjoyed Millar's run. No, wait, not a slap. A kick in the nuts. Swift, too. Ranting about why it's bad would take far too long, and would anyways be redundant; go read the thread about U3 if you really want to know the specifics on why we think it's so awful. But I can sum it up here by saying that it's an insult.

My biggest problem with the Ultimate Universe, though, isn't really any individual book, but more its continuity. Nothing makes any ******* sense anymore. USM has, Bendis wants us to believe, taken place in under a year. That was fine 50 issues ago, but as time goes on, it becomes less and less likely that Peter Parker is still in tenth grade, that he hasn't had a birthday or gotten any older, that he hasn't had a summer vacation, etc. Now, that would be tolerable...but then we have the other books. Ultimate Power, The Ultimates 2, UXM...all of these take place at a faster pace and at a later time than USM (which is still stuck in 2003, at the latest), and yet somehow alongside it. That's ridiculous, and we shouldn't be expected to believe it, but we are. The Ultimate Universe used to have a fairly tight continuity, but no more. I suppose Ultimates 2 could be blamed for it, if blame has to be placed, but what caused it to happen isn't important. It happened, and now the timeline makes sense whatsoever.

Finally, I hate this Ultimatum thing. Know what should have been a universe-wide and universe-changing event? Grand Theft America. Y'know, that second arc from Ultimates 2. The one where the entire country is invaded by superhumans, the local superheroes rounded up and imprisoned, leaders taken out of commission, etc. That's a big deal. That should have been addressed in every Ultimate book, and its fallout should have been felt in the same. But it wasn't. This, like Galactus, was confined to the pages of its own story, never to be directly addressed again. And that frustrates me, because it was, for the most part, a great story. And here we are, getting Ultimatum, which is practically GUARANTEED to suck. Loeb has proven he cannot write this universe with U3, and yet he's being allowed to this major event that is getting the attention that major events handled by much more capable writers were denied.

Sorry for the tangent there. That's my two cents.

Okay i have not been on these boards in 2 and a half years and after the last week really wanted to come over and see peoples opinions on the stat of the Ultimate line. I stopped reading UXM at the start of the kirkman run, UFF at the end of millars second run, ultimates after millars run and as of 2 weeks ago dropped USM which was the comic that got me started reading comics again and i have bought since issue 1, which is so sad for me.
The past week i have been sitting in the comic store catching up on the ultimate stuff. I think it is truly awful what this line has become, now don't get me wrong I normally don't give a toss for continuity and understand the difficulties 40+ years of storytelling can represent, but the ultimate line is brand new in comparison and yet it seems in the last 6 months continuity has gone out the window, it shows a great disrespect to fans that writers are too lazy or unimaginative to come up with stories set in the continuity established my people like Mark Millar And BMB, and the thing is its not like what they had come up with was particularly constrictive. Here are a list of the following errors in continuity I found particularly unbelievable:

Xavier now has never been able to read Magnetos mind in direct contradiction to the first UXM arc .
Spider-man was now orphaned as a baby as opposed to a toddler who clearly remembers his father in the venom arc (specifically the video of his family at the picnic with the brocks)
Richard Parker was now working on the super soldier serum as opposed to the venom suit when he died.
Wanda created dinosaurs in the savage land years after they where supposed to be there when Xavier and Magneto first travelled there.
Nick Fury suddenly has superpowers (coulda told him that at the end of the arm ripping ultimates2)

The list goes on, now like I said I normally don't care about continuity but this stuff is so in your face it yanks you right out of the story. Its bad writing bad editing and just plain sloppy for professionals to print. Its like they want to slap you in the face with it, the whole reason behind the creation of ultimate universe was to start anew with none of the continuity problems of 616 but in the last year it seems like they have gone out there way to ruin it, and the thing is I really mean it! It feels like they have deliberately done this, no-one can be this bad at their job. I mean Bendis wrote half this stuff and he`s one of the worst offenders!!!, he cant even write in his own continuity! It beggars belief.

Usm has become a pale shadow of its self, Bendis should have left the title with Bagley to allow new blood to invigorate it, as it stands I don't think the man has written a good comic in three years and I was one of his biggest fans. Ultimate's 3 might be one of the worst things I have ever read, it puts comics back 15 years, that's all I will say on it. The ultimate x-men arc with the banshee? Suddenly this drug is something everyone has known about for years but were just hearing about it? Moira Mctaggert is suddenly a evil drug manufacturer for magneto? This stuff is laughable and so thematically weak you have to laugh or you'll cry. Its comics written by people who don't care about the legacy, there's no consistency with the storytelling, they trample established continuity written by good writers to make there water weak stories and ideas work and its criminal, as far as im concerned they have ruined the ultimate universe.

So as of two weeks ago I dropped my final ultimate title and I really don't think I will be coming back, and its such a shame as well because it used to be the best line out there by far but it has been ruined by poor writers who clearly don't care for the subject matter or want to be writing 616 but cant and lazy editors who can be bothered to tighten up there writers work and have no care for what has come before.

That's a fair statement.

Latest posts

Back