The Ultimates 2 #12 Discussion (SPOILERS!)

This issue rocked on so many different levels that I don't even think some of those levels have even been invented yet. :rockon:

DIrishB said:
I actually found this issue to not be very impressive. It was good, don't get me wrong, but it seemed too simply wrapped up (then again, I felt the same way about the first series, but that can be explained away due to the length of time between issues...after waiting so long, it just seemed kind of anti-climactic--read all at once it probably flows better). Just didn't compare to the earlier issues of Ultimates 2.

I give it a 3/5.

That's the best thing about all this. Millar/Hitch wrapping things up just like all their other volumes. That way when it's time to start with a new story things are finalized and not just left hanging in mid-air.

I mean sure we can expound on different aspects like:
  • What are we gonna do with Fury's arm?
  • What's gonna happen with Pym?
  • What about the love triangle between Pym/Janet/Cap?
  • What is SHIELD gonna do about Tony Stark having a weapon like IronMan6 around and not telling anyone about it?
  • What do we do now that Hulk is back and in control (presumably)?

Stuff like that is up there for new writers to expound upon.

One thing I just noticed while looking at the art is that Captain America uses Guile's (from Street Fighter) flip kick agains al-Rahman. SWEET. 8)

Good issue, but with all the delays I was expecting more.
I think the Colonel should have lived. He was a great character, and him alone would not be a threat to the Ultimates. Actually it would be quite interesting if he was imprisioned in the Triskelion.
Maybe it was too much action in so few pages?
Well I'm looking forward to the next issue nonetheless.

4/5 - Quicksilver is just awesome.

...and you can tell from the way they interact that Betty loves Fury!

(sorry...couldn't resist :) )

On a more serious note, I can understand DIrishB's sentiment regarding 'bang' vs. 'wait time' - but I don't think it could ever equal the anticipation. I actually liked it even more the second time I read it.

Nice ending, too...will there be a death next issue? (Of an Ultimate, I mean?)

On a side note, Isn't it nice when a comic advertises as 'double sized' (or whatever they called it) and it really is, instead of ending just after the staples, and filling it out with nonsense (I'm looking at you, USM 100)

That's the best thing about all this. Millar/Hitch wrapping things up just like all their other volumes. That way when it's time to start with a new story things are finalized and not just left hanging in mid-air.

I mean sure we can expound on different aspects like:
  • What are we gonna do with Fury's arm?
  • What's gonna happen with Pym?
  • What about the love triangle between Pym/Janet/Cap?
  • What is SHIELD gonna do about Tony Stark having a weapon like IronMan6 around and not telling anyone about it?
  • What do we do now that Hulk is back and in control (presumably)?

Stuff like that is up there for new writers to expound upon.

They said #13 will wrapped up every major plot line

Well worth the wait.

Quicksilver is one of the most amazing characters ever. That death was indeed one of the best in the history of death. (Which has a long extended list of nominees)

Abomination immediately turning into a snizzling coward before Hulk was awesome.

Captain America vs. Not Ultimate Red Skull? Too cliche and didn't grab me at all.

Iron Man 6... eh. Necessary and cool way to blow off Dynamo but unimpressed.

European Union. One of my favorite use of "Secret Identities" ever. But how the hell did they get out?

Hank Pym/Ultrons. Interesting to see Ultron even question Pym's orders, although very expected. But I hated how Pym merely switched sides when the battle tilted in Ultimates favor. But then again he did give Jan that serum which was one of my favorite moments.

Thor as always was very cool but I was kind've hopeing for Odin.

5/5 easy.

Betty does not Love Fury.

This was awesome. For the reasons evryone already stated.

5/5

Captain America vs. Not Ultimate Red Skull? Too cliche and didn't grab me at all.

Oh man, I really emjoyed the cap fight. It was especially enjoyable that Cap assured Red Skull (as I'm calling him until some else takes the title) that "thats not how we do things in this country" shortly before killing him.

Red Skull was easy to sympathize with (he was just as patriotic as Cap, if a little more extreme), but so was Cap for killing him.

MWoF said:
European Union. One of my favorite use of "Secret Identities" ever. But how the hell did they get out?

If you are referring to getting out from custody, they never got taken hostage.

At least I don't think so, its been a while since I read 11 though.

Oh man, I really emjoyed the cap fight. It was especially enjoyable that Cap assured Red Skull (as I'm calling him until some else takes the title) that "thats not how we do things in this country" shortly before killing him.

Red Skull was easy to sympathize with (he was just as patriotic as Cap, if a little more extreme), but so was Cap for killing him.

I believe we've coined him, Darth Red when #9 came out so go with that

Its been a while for me reading the earlier issues also - but I picture them not being 'captured' per se, but (I think) there was a panel or two where they explained that they couldn't get over there to assist...then Captain Britain said something like, "...there is another option."

...Now I may be WAY off, but I think it went something like that, because I think that led to further speculation that they assisted Hulk in his return (which may still be the case)

I would be happy to be corrected on this, though - my memory is not what it used t.....what was I typing?

Not quite what I was expecting, but still a solid 5/5.

The best parts? Quicksilver reaching light speed and disintegrating Hurricane was awesome - Millar is very good at having characters "overdo it". Hulk was similar - all of the sudden he overcomes Abomination, rips his arms off, and punches through his head. Wow.

I liked that al-Rahman didn't have a dorky codename.

Iron Man 6 - awesome. That's exactly what I'd expect the ultimate Iron Man suit to be. Wow x2.

The Hank Pym scene was great, trying to convince Ultron that he really was a double agent. What a douche. I hope he dies. :D

And Thor's return - man, the Jesus parallels don't stop, do they? Awesome return.

I thought this issue was supposed to tie up a bunch of plot lines, but it didn't seem to. Ultimates vol. 1 #12 was a big fight issue, and this was too except it was much better done. Hopefully the tie-ups happen in #13.

Now that I think about it....I'm disappointed in Tony's Iron Man6 design. It's just a massive space-station-ship-flying death thing.

I was kinda hoping for a giant robot that he dubbed "War Marchine" ala Ultimate Avengers.

I thought this issue was supposed to tie up a bunch of plot lines, but it didn't seem to. Ultimates vol. 1 #12 was a big fight issue, and this was too except it was much better done. Hopefully the tie-ups happen in #13.

Well it would have been if they didnt spilt the issue in half

Now that I think about it....I'm disappointed in Tony's Iron Man6 design. It's just a massive space-station-ship-flying death thing.

But think about it - isn't that the most logical progression for the armor, which is constantly developing?

I mean, it's even still armor!

Very cool.

But think about it - isn't that the most logical progression for the armor, which is constantly developing?

I mean, it's even still armor!

Very cool.

There no confirmation that it's armor. It could just be Tony is a one-man cockpit wrecking **** as giant IronMan Airplane.

I guess I just figured that the next few steps for his armor would either be a huge mech or streamlined version incorporating Capt Marvel tech. :?

Not denying it's awesomeness.......just presence.

Last edited:
There no confirmation that it's armor. It could just be Tony is a one-man cockpit wrecking **** as giant IronMan Airplane.

I guess that still qualifies as armor to me. it is airplane-like but isn't really an airplane.

It's kind of similar the the Earth X Iron Man, minus the limbs but with more lasers.

The Quicksilver bits were my favorite, because they play on a long-running joke from V1, where you never actually saw Quicksilver DO anything, and he was always boasting about having saved everyone. This issue you get to see that he was probably always telling the truth. The fight was so fast that they were literally invisible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back