The Ultimates - Tomorrow Men (novel)

You won't be the only one. I believe a few others such as Seldes, Rhyo, E, and Ice, as well as myself will be looking into this too.

Wish the cover wasn't as horrible as it is but meh....snakes on a plane.

I'd like to read it, but I don't think any bookshop will sell it.

Victor Von Doom said:
You won't be the only one. I believe a few others such as Seldes, Rhyo, E, and Ice, as well as myself will be looking into this too.

Wish the cover wasn't as horrible as it is but meh....snakes on a plane.

True.

MaxwellSmart said:
I might give it a flip through at Borders sometime, though I doubt I'll buy it.

Cheap bastard.

ProjectX2 said:
I'd like to read it, but I don't think any bookshop will sell it.

Look here:

The Ultimates - Tomorrow Men

MaxwellSmart said:
Mostly just an apathetic bastard.

I have never met someone so conflicting as you. You're so interestd in the world, life, and how/why things are..........but at the same time you don't care either.

Your like an enigma, topped with mystery and wrapped in a flour tortilla.

Victor Von Doom said:
I have never met someone so conflicting as you. You're so interestd in the world, life, and how/why things are..........but at the same time you don't care either.

Your like an enigma, topped with mystery and wrapped in a flour tortilla.
When I said "apathetic," I should have said apathetic about literature. I rarely take the iniative with reading. I only start a pull after reading my brother-in-law comics for about a year.

MaxwellSmart said:
When I said "apathetic," I should have said apathetic about literature. I rarely take the iniative with reading. I only start a pull after reading my brother-in-law comics for about a year.

Ah...I see what you're saying. I'm pretty much the same way. I could care less about what new literature is out and who writes what.

Might make me sound a little dumb but I don't like to read.

I won't be picking this one up. I don't see the point, really. I read comic books for the story and the art. Novelizations of comic books usually just come up very flat.

By the title and the description on Amazon.com, it sounds like Ultimate Kang will be making an appearance.

Still, not going to read this one.

Willverine said:
I won't be picking this one up. I don't see the point, really. I read comic books for the story and the art. Novelizations of comic books usually just come up very flat.

By the title and the description on Amazon.com, it sounds like Ultimate Kang will be making an appearance.

Kang, huh? Maybe I will pick this up. Is it only available at amazon? Doom, i would like to use that flour tortilla quote.

I've got this on my wish list at Amazon.com to remind myself to pick it up. Perhaps I should buy the "official UC copy" of this and we could all take turns mailing it to each other after we read it. That way only one of us actually has to spend any money on it.... :wink:

I'll get it. I go to Barnes & Nobles every Tuesday hoping to find it.

I know it will prolly suck, but I'm one of those people Marvel was hoping would buy it just cos it says ULTIMATES on it.

Willverine said:

Not Ultimate Kang...

I bought it last night and finished it in about three hours. Wasn't overly impressed, but it was sufficient on most levels: characterization, translation from the comics, staying in continuity (which it did a really good job of minus some discrepancies with Stark's origin here and in Card's Ultimate Iron Man origin...but who really cares about that?).

The story is really the only problem. The novel starts out strong, and is even interesting for the first hundred pages or so. Then we really get into the cliche of time travel and the book just drones on from there.

While it wasn't anywhere near as good as Ultimates v.1 or 2, it was better than most other Ultimates stories (Ultimate Six, Ultimate War, etc).

I'll give it a 3/5.

Also, I think this book should definitly be included in the timeline. The author went a long way to keep it in continuity, so I have to respect that. Its specifically mentioned as taking place a few weeks or months after the first volume of Ultimates, so I've place it accordingly on the timeline.

Finished this in about an hour and a half, which is not the sign of a deep read...

It's a reasonably good Ultimate Tony Stark story, with a lot of good little character moments for him. There are some interesting Thor moments, too, where Thor's "divinity" and role are much more clearly spelled out than they have EVER been in the comics. Both Captain America and Jan get some character moments (Cap early on, and then not much after) and Jan even gets some spy-type action scenes. Natasha mopes about her feelings for Tony Stark and is, very oddly, portrayed as a loyal and good SHIELD agent. Fury, Banner and Pym are used about equally, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Pietro gets one semi-action scene, and then you see more of Happy Hogan and Betty Ross than you do Pietro, Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch. It's clear the writer doesn't much care about those last two and he's pretty dismissive of both of them. I suppose, though, if you'd only read V1 of the Ultimates, the characterizations of the Wonder Twins and Hawkeye is about right.

The basic plot is far too obvious (People from the future have come to get our help in preventing a horrible future event! Uh-huh, how many movies have YOU seen?). It's more fun for the chance to see inside various character's heads, but these often don't sound like the characters we know from the comics.

And didn't Millar sort of quietly back away from the "Tony has a brain tumor" thing?

Well, can't say I was expecting a "deep read" on something like this. A lot of comic-related novels just assume you already know the characters and set-up and then go on from there.

My copy is on its way, so I appreciate people not spoiling things too much before I get a chance to read it (probably over the weekend). Some of this actually sounds promising.

Rhyo said:
And didn't Millar sort of quietly back away from the "Tony has a brain tumor" thing?
Wasn't there a mention by either Tony or Natasha in one of the later issues of Ultimates2 that Tony was undergoing chemo? Or were my eyes (or memory) playing tricks on me?

Latest posts

Back