The Usual Suspects

Goodwill

Wow.

So, I'm staying in my basement this holiday... Due to the fact that my grandparents are staying in my room.

Not that this is a bad thing, though.

You see, I'm staying in the room with my Nintendo Wii, PS2, and 52" flat-screen television... I mean, who could ask for more, right?

Anyway...

So, It's around 1:30 at night and I am searching throught the On Demand free movies list... And look up award winners. There was a long list, but none that appealed to me more than the Usual Suspects and Fargo. I had already seen Fargo, but hadn't checked out the Usual Suspects. At first, I was opposed because, before this movie, I resented Bryan Singer for wronging the X-Men and resorting to Superman... But since I'm a sucker for crime thrillers, I decided to watch it.

Boy, was I surprised. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Like, right up there with Godfather Part 2 and The Shawshank Redemption. I really enjoyed how this movie was written and filmed... Just a really great ride that kept me going for the duration. The characters were interesting as hell, the story was spinning around action and suspense, which I love... And the ending? Wow. :) Great movie.

The Usual Suspects definitely makes my list of top movies. See it if you haven't already.

Own it. Excellent film. Casting was perfect, pacing was perfect, writing was perfect, I honestly have no complaints at all with this movie. One everyone should see.

I am killing myself for not watching this when it was on last month now.

You know what? I did not like Usual Suspects. It was one of the most disappointing films I've ever seen.

Why?
The entire movie is only worth the twist at the end. Try watching it for a second time. It's boring and pointless. A truly great movie is one like the Sixth Sense, which is just as moving and captivating the second time around, even when you know the big twist. Usual Suspects gets by on shock value. Otherwise it's just your standard complex crime movie. Nothing more or less.

Last edited:
You know what? I did not like Usual Suspects.

Why?
The entire movie is only worth the twist at the end. Try watching it for a second time. It's boring and pointless. A truly great movie is one like the Sixth Sense, which is just as moving and captivating the second time around, even when you know the big twist. Usual Suspects gets by on shock value. Otherwise it's just your standard complex crime movie. Nothing more or less.

I agree. But, I thought it was boring the first time, too.

You know what? I did not like Usual Suspects.

Why?

See the situations reversed with me on this and the sixth sense. I don't think that holds up to rewatchings at all while I enjoy popping in Suspects and trying to find what I consider kernels of truth in the film. Diffrent tastes I suppose.

See the situations reversed with me on this and the sixth sense. I don't think that holds up to rewatchings at all while I enjoy popping in Suspects and trying to find what I consider kernels of truth in the film. Diffrent tastes I suppose.

Maybe. While I liked the Sixth Sense the first time around, it, too, has become boring. I'm not a big fan of twists since it ruins rewatching it (Or in the case of comics and novels, rereading).

The Usual Suspects being compared to the Sixth Sense? The Sixth Sense couldn't hold a candle to this movie.

Let me tell you...

The Sixth Sense was a contrived piece of work that was only hyped because of the "stunning" delivery of ONE line ("I see dead people...!") and a cheese ending that you could've seen coming from a mile off.

The Usual Suspects on the other hand, plays up Kevin Spacey's character as weak, even giving him a physical handicap to illustrate this point, yet, at the end... He is STILL the criminal mastermind... AND it all makes sense. :shock: I know, I know... When you watch it a second time, you pick up all of the things you missed from the very beginning. If that isn't fun, I don't know what is.

Call me crazy...

Latest posts

Back