The View Askewniverse Films Discussion Thread

Clerks felt like pure brilliance when I saw it on tv when I was something like 15. Then I saw Dogma when I was about 20, and found it funny, but thought the two weird guys in it seemed oddly familiar. After making the connection, I quickly checked every other Kevin Smith movie (well, except Jersey Girl, still dreading it too much to actually watch it), and found them all to be works of a genius (except Mallrats, never got the taste for that).

And sure Clerks II was a disappointment, but there was no way it couldn't have been. Doesn't mean it's not still a great and funny movie.

1. Clerks
2. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
3. Chasing Amy
4. Dogma
5. Clerks II
6. Mallrats

I think I was the only one not disappointed by Clerks II. I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one.

I still haven't seen Clerks II. I'm disgusted with myself.

I'd have to say Mallrats is my fav, followed by Dogma then Clerks. My least favorite would have to be Chasing Amy but I haven't seen it in years and years. I might have to rent it again when I rent Clerks II.

Loved Clerks II. Hands down funniest film of last year.

I agree with P-M. I actually liked it better than the first, which I found was not as amazing as everyone says it is. Funny? Yes. Good? Yes. Groundbreaking? Yes. Deserves to be up there on the greatest comedies of all time list? No.

I think I was the only one not disappointed by Clerks II. I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one.

I agree. It wasn't quite up to Clerks, but it was close and I wasn't disappointed at all. I almost fell out of my chair several times at the theater in fits of laughter, as did a few of my friends.

Is Kevin Smith working any other View Askew films?

I'm sure he's gotta be burnt out on them but I'd love to see some more.

Is Kevin Smith working any other View Askew films?

I'm sure he's gotta be burnt out on them but I'd love to see some more.

He's supposed to be working on an untitled horror film. I'm not sure how I feel about this. As he said in Philadelphia "I put people in front of the camera and make **** happen. I don't move the camera. A superhero movie by me would suck because it would be two guys leaning on a car talking about how they bang their girlfriends, then they'd walk off camera, kick someones *** and come back with "so I put it up her butt"". I feel that applies to a horror movie as well. Dynamic camera work is a hallmark of the genera, from the peering over look from the remake of Night of the Living Dead to the elaborate home made rigs in Sam Rami's The Evil Dead. I just don't think his style would work.

I rewatched Clerks II, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back recently and I've decided that Mallrats is probably my favourite of the lot, because I can relate so damn much to it. My respect for Chasing Amy has gone up while my praise for Jay & Silent Bob remains. I still think it's the ultimate payoff to all the films and the best jokes are in-jokes (watch the scene when they're all coming out of the Bluntman & Chronic movie). I've decided that Clerks II makes sense as a 'serious' departure from the Jersey series, whereas J&SBSB was just a fun, cartoony payoff. Clerks II is good, but it has nothing on any of the other films and it annoys me that so few of the actors from the other films were in it, whereas EVERY one of the actors was in J&SBSB.

I'm going to rewatch Clerks and Dogma as soon as I can get them, as I have only seen those two once each.

They're rerunning this show called "I'll fly away" over here, and T.S. from Mallrats plays one of the main characters. He's basically the same likeable, but neurotic, self-absorbed character he is in View Askew.

They're rerunning this show called "I'll fly away" over here, and T.S. from Mallrats plays one of the main characters. He's basically the same likeable, but neurotic, self-absorbed character he is in View Askew.

Are you sure it's not his identical twin brother?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back