The vinyl appreciation thread

E

Excelsior Club
Today I bought Chinese Democracy on vinyl. I recently got Death Magnetic and Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends on vinyl as well.

Anyone else collect vinyl records? I have several crates full of them. My wife gets them for me at garage sales or second hand stores. She just got me some old Huey Lewis & The News records a few weeks ago.

They're great because you can usually get a decent old record for like a quarter. I have a Minidisc player that I don't really use any more, but I used to record songs off vinyl to it to listen to. I liked hearing the crackles in the track.

I also have a ton of Beatles records...most of their American releases.

Anyone else?

There are only 2 old men on this site.

They are probably the only ones that know what vinyl is.

Last edited:
I think anyone under the age of 30 who claims to "hear" a positive difference between vinyl and other formats is lying.

I think anyone under the age of 30 who claims to "hear" a positive difference between vinyl and other formats is lying.

What you can hear is what is best described as a "warmer" sound - more natural. Maybe it's because the dynamic range is lower than with CDs so it sounds less...is "processed" the right word?

I have a few high pricey vinyls stored at my mom's house.

One of them is an unopened Micheal Jackson Thriller.

And a couple Beatles records as well. Maybe a Prince too.

What you can hear is what is best described as a "warmer" sound - more natural. Maybe it's because the dynamic range is lower than with CDs so it sounds less...is "processed" the right word?
I don't disagree the possibility.

My dad owns a lot of LPs from his days as a disc jockey, and I think one thing that vinyl definitely has going for it is that most of the studio guys recorded things better. The sheer sensitivity of the recording medium meant that they just couldn't slap the thing down hit record and think, "Yeah that'll do."

As opposed to CDs where they just boost so many of the settings without really giving any thought about whether the sound has been pumped to the point of distortion, making things loud but essentially cramming the wavespace.

Those are points I can concede. CDs abuse the dynamic range, LPs don't.

But the other than that, the notion that anyone under 30 feels a difference rings kind of false to me.

There are only 2 old men on this site.

They are probably the only ones that know what vinyl is.

and an old lady.

I have an extensive vinyl collection, and not just in my clothes closet.

I remember when I was a kid we listened to Michael Jackson and Elton John on vinyl. There is a nice feeling to vinyl I think...

I said before on here, I prefer the way vinyl sounds. I really do.

As opposed to CDs where they just boost so many of the settings without really giving any thought about whether the sound has been pumped to the point of distortion, making things loud but essentially cramming the wavespace.

Exactly. It's all about "loud". You don't get all of the small nuances in the recording.

* points at Used to be *

So not really down with solid oil anymore?

We've got a ton of Vinyl in the house. Last time I broke it out was when I needed an Aqualung fix.

I used to do party dj stuff. mixing scratching mostly. Turntablism. I just lost interest after a while and now I regret selling the numarks.

Exactly. It's all about "loud". You don't get all of the small nuances in the recording.
Yup.

Which is why I don't get all the whole fuss about vinyl. Vinyl records sound better because of, I think, the fact that the engineers during the heyday of vinyl were much more judicious in sound engineering than the guys today.

As such, I don't think of the positive attributes in vinyl records being inherent to the recording medium itself, but a property of smarter album production that's been lost in the CD era.

Yup.

Which is why I don't get all the whole fuss about vinyl. Vinyl records sound better because of, I think, the fact that the engineers during the heyday of vinyl were much more judicious in sound engineering than the guys today.

As such, I don't think of the positive attributes in vinyl records being inherent to the recording medium itself, but a property of smarter album production that's been lost in the CD era.

I agree - I mentioned the sound but it's not a huge sticking point for me and I would bet that a lot of times one might not even be able to tell the difference.

I freely admit that I just like to sit down with a record and put the needle on the vinyl while looking over the album art.

I'm appreciating the some of the labels offering digital downloads when you buy the vinyl version of an album, my copies of Flight of the Conchords, The Fray, Cage the Elephant, and Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, all came with digital copies.

Since moving into a new house last month I now have room to set up my record player again. In the last few weeks I've purchased Kanye West "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", Arcade Fire "The Suburbs", Neutral Milk Hotel "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea", The Kinks "Muswell Hillbillies", and Pixies "Doolittle".

Latest posts

Back