There Will Be Brawl

Grocer Man

I'm not too fond of fan videos, particularly those that try to paint characters in an ugly way. It's usually funny for about ten seconds before the joke dies.

That's not the case with this web series.

It's a dark, dystopian look at Nintendo's well of characters in the vein of Sin City or Silence of the Lambs. It manages to keep your attention with strong writing and compelling characterization. Particularly interesting is Kirby as a nightmarish Hannibal Lecter-like psychopath.

But what really sells the series is the intriguing whodunit story. It's deep with political intriuge and all the stuff that makes noir great.

It can be found at www.therewillbebrawl.com Highly reccomended.

Last edited:
Well, the penultimate episode was released, and the offensive material hit the fan.

It was great to see Bowser. The guy is even more boss as a Buddhist gangster. But the show continues to be stolen by Ganondorf. Easily one of the most watchable characters.

And while genre conventions made me really suspicious that
Red
would die, it came as a huge blow when he actually did. Darn it all. And to think he was one of the prime suspects.

I'm guessing Zelda is seeing Ganondorf behind Link's back. Makes a lot of sense with her actions at episodes end. Also, this line made me laugh.

Link: (about Zelda) To hand the kingdom over to a bipolar crossdressing psychotic?

Oh Link. Too bad you had to go fall in love with the psychopath.:D

And he did say the line Well Excuse Me Princess!

Overall the show is good, the plot, while generic in the way of "Let's take these childhood characters and pervert them" is interesting enough. Icarus is a ***** though. Literally. Wasted potential there, instead they went the easy route making him spineless.

Kirby, I bet, it going to be the one who saves them all.

And he did say the line Well Excuse Me Princess!

Overall the show is good, the plot, while generic in the way of "Let's take these childhood characters and pervert them" is interesting enough. Icarus is a ***** though. Literally. Wasted potential there, instead they went the easy route making him spineless.

Kirby, I bet, it going to be the one who saves them all.

Yeah, it'd be a terrible waste if Kirby is really dead. Most likely that's Meta Knight's (who looks just like Kirby without the mask) corpse, too burnt to properly identify.

Not only am I pretty sure it was metaknight who died, I am pretty sure Link has a fairy in a bottle that's going to pop out and we will get a sweet Link/Gannon fight as Link tries to redeem himself. Did anyone else notice the two figures outside Mario's house right before Yoshi got killed. What role do they still play? Are they more sinister then just working for Gannon? Very interesting series. Bets on who the butcher is?

Last edited:
Not only am I pretty sure it was metaknight who died, I am pretty sure Link has a fairy in a bottle that's going to pop out and we will get a sweet Link/Gannon fight as Link tries to redeem himself. Did anyone else notice the two figures outside Mario's house right before Yoshi got killed. What role do they still play? Are they more sinister then just working for Gannon? Very interesting series. Bets on who the butcher is?

The butcher is currently at the tower, which means two possible things:

1) He or she is there to finish the job and kill Ganondorf.

or 2) He or she is a member of Ganondorf's and or/ Zelda's group, which narrows the choices down much more.

Alright, I just finished watching the final episode.

Four points:

First, I totally called Olimar preparing a Final Smash (I don't think I mentioned it here, and I'm sorry for that since I sound like Gilderoy Lockheart now, but I called it) and Ganondorf and Zelda in a realationship.

Second, Ganondorf. Many of his scenes were really painful to watch. Not because of his acting, but because of the actor. For those not aware, Ganondorf was played by Matthew Mercer, the co-creator of the series. (He also voiced Kirby and Meta-Knight, but that wasn't really a problem for me.) The final episode suffered a lot of scheduling problems, and Mercer overworked himself trying to meet the release date. The guy nearly killed himself for his art. He's currently on bedrest and should be fine, but that doesn't make Ganondorf's fate any less uncomfortable.

Third, the murderer. I think the identity makes sense from three standpoints: thematic, logical within the setting, and a twisted sort of sense considering the game of origin. But does anyone remember any foreshadowing? I read on some forums that there was one line in the second episode, but I don't remember it and am not in the mood to look through it.

Fourth, the final scene. Seriously, that was...what? It only makes a little more sense if you watch the credits, and not by much.

Still, a very good series. Hope Matt gets better.

Latest posts

Back