Things you would like see from DC in terms of movies

The Overlord

Really it seems like almost every major Marvel hero has made it on to the big screen, while only a hand full of DC heroes have do so. It seems odd that Rocket Raccoon has made into the big screen before Wonder Woman or the Flash. It often seems like DC is playing follow the leader with Marvel in terms of movies at this point.

So what should DC do to narrow this gap? Try to spin off Wonder Woman and Flash from the upcoming Justice League movie? Try to make movies about other popular franchises like the Teen Titans? Try to reboot Green Lantern? Or should they just stick to Superman and Batman movies?

They just announced a Batman/Superman film for 2015, a Flash movie in 2016, and Justice League in 2017.

I'm pretty satisfied with that announcement. I'm hoping the execs, Snyder, and Goyer learned from the missteps they made with Man of Steel, are listening to the fans (the intelligent ones anyway) and use that to better shape the DC Cinematic Universe.

I'd like to see them finally get a decent Wonder Woman film off the ground.

I definitely don't want to see a JL movie without their "Trinity" established and a JL movie isn't really the place to introduce "huge" characters like that.

Part of it is that Marvel Studios can focus solely on making Marvel films, while WB can't focus solely on it's DC characters. WB has also been focusing a lot of attention on pumping out those Harry Potter films while the kids were still young enough. Now that that's over, I imagine their DC properties will become more of a focus. I've always thought the criticism that DC/WB gets is a bit unjustified in that regard. WB should create some sort of subdivision for it's DC films to solely focus on it's DC characters. Dini/Timm seem like good candidates to head it, since they've already done a great job at adapting the DC Universe in animation.

In terms of what I want to see...I'm pretty ok with their Batman/Superman 2015, Flash 2016, and JL 2017 announcement. Ideally, I would like a Wonder Woman movie before they do JL though. Green Lantern is an interesting challenge. I'd honestly be fine if they had Reynolds returned, as long as the sequels were radically different from the first film in terms of scope, approach and tone. I have a feeling they want to get to JL as quickly as they can, and use it to springboard individual franchises for Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc, as well as sequels for Superman and Flash. A lot of what I want depends on the approach they decide to take. I'd say keep the first JL movie focused on the main 5 members, and maybe bring in Aquaman and Martain Manhunter later. I've heard talk of an Aquaman movie, which I'd love. However, I think it'd be hard to overcome the popular perception of him.

And all that's understandable.

I think if they wanna pipeline a JL movie the easiest way to do it is get a Wonder Woman movie out there within the next 18 months w/ a Superman cameo tie-in from a military/Daily Planet source about "another costumed vigilante in another illustrious cities". I think that leaves it vague enough for people to think Batman but also it technically be Flash or Green Arrow or even Aquaman.

But Wonder Woman is followed by a double release year w/ Flash and at the end of his movie just as he's about to speed off--he's stopped in his tracks by a glowing green force field, but the real stinger is that it's not Hal, it's John Stewart! This allows DC to keep their GL franchise without having to "recast" Reynolds. It's a simple handwave on why GL is different but still keeping all the basic known elements. GL mentions that something "dark" is coming toward Earth and he need help stopping it. Flash responds with something like "sounds serious...but you're gonna need more than just 2 guys. If its as bad as you say, you're gonna need a whole league of help."

To be followed with a huge Justice League movie that shows Superman, Wonder Woman, Lantern and Flash attempting to recruit Batman's help in stopping whatever menace DC decides to use.

I think once try get that JL movie going they can continue franchises and that even sets up a sequel to their JL movie being a possible adaptation of the "Tower of Babel" storyline.

Just spitballing here...

I think the reality is movie studios are still very wary of a superhero film with a female lead, as a Wonder Woman film will be. Ultimately they see the comic book industry as a male dominated and oriented medium, and even though the films spun off from those comics open themselves to a wider audience, I think they feel those core fans in large part dictate the success of a movie.

Think about it. Marvel Studios has been around for over 5 years now, released 7 films so far with 5 more in the pipeline over the next 2 years. Out of those 12 films not a single one will feature a lead female superhero, nor a black hero lead (where's my Black Panther film, damn it!). I view that lack of diversity as Marvel's main fault with their series.

The first bit of female lead we're getting in the Marvel verse is the upcoming Agent Carter one shot, which was very well received at Comic Con. I'm hoping that might pave the way to show Marvel/Disney that there is a definite market for both female heroes in lead roles (Captain Marvel, and in DC's case Wonder Woman) and maybe get them going on getting the Black Panther film happening.

But yeah, I think DC/WB are taking the safe route of introducing and establishing Wonder Woman in the Justice League film where the already existing interest in blockbuster characters like Batman and Superman, enhanced by the team film dynamic, can hopefully buoy interest in Diana and lead into a successful and quality solo film.

Last edited:
Honestly? I don't care all that much about most of their superhero movies or the direction they're taking. I'd like to see Wonder Woman, but am skeptical that what they produce ends up being a WW movie I want to see.

But for Christ's sake, let Del Toro make his Vertigo crossover movie. Horror, mystical, and urban fantasy characters are the great advantage you have over Marvel, DC. While they struggle to have one book in their library featuring a magic character, you have a deep and wide history of well regarded and good sellling stories, and Del Toro is the perfect guy to adapt them. Focus on that, guys. It's a huge advantage. Get it out the door before Dr. Strange. And get Sandman on HBO.

It seems like a no-brainer priority.

Honestly? I don't care all that much about most of their superhero movies or the direction they're taking. I'd like to see Wonder Woman, but am skeptical that what they produce ends up being a WW movie I want to see.

But for Christ's sake, let Del Toro make his Vertigo crossover movie. Horror, mystical, and urban fantasy characters are the great advantage you have over Marvel, DC. While they struggle to have one book in their library featuring a magic character, you have a deep and wide history of well regarded and good sellling stories, and Del Toro is the perfect guy to adapt them. Focus on that, guys. It's a huge advantage. Get it out the door before Dr. Strange. And get Sandman on HBO.

It seems like a no-brainer priority.

Eh, I honestly think the problem with DC adapting their lesser known properties in films becomes how receptive general movie going audiences are to the final product. While I have no doubt Del Toro can do an amazing job with those characters, I just wonder how likely most movie goers are going to be willing to buy a ticket for a movie about characters they mostly or entirely don't recognize.

Latest posts

Back