This is a really newbie question but...

tractorbeam

what are the main differences between X-Men and Uncanny X-men? I've just started to read X-Men comics and picked up uncanny 428-447 and 157-166 of X-Men. I should go back and read the New Xmen part of the Xmen series right? It's all a little confusing for a beginner.

The difference is, besides the members, is that in Uncanny, they're really just mutant cops. In X-Men, they don't deal with "cases", just other mutant 'problems'.

Does that help? :?

Also, WELCOME! :D

Is it like two different 'squads' of X-Men? But I noticed wolverine is in both.

tractorbeam said:
Hey, Wolverine is EVERYWHERE! No really, he's all three teams. (Astonishing X-Men too).

But yes, they are different "squads" of X-Men.

icemastertron said:
Hey, Wolverine is EVERYWHERE! No really, he's all three teams. (Astonishing X-Men too).

Not to mention New Avengers.

Welcome! There's a thread in the Lounge forum for new posters to introduce themselves - check it out! :D

tractorbeam said:
what are the main differences between X-Men and Uncanny X-men? I've just started to read X-Men comics and picked up uncanny 428-447 and 157-166 of X-Men. I should go back and read the New Xmen part of the Xmen series right? It's all a little confusing for a beginner.

couldn't tell you...

But, Hell, Welcome Tractor... :twisted:

tractorbeam said:

*Looks up at sky with clenched fists* "Damn you, Marvel!"

Yeah, Wolverine is everywhere. It doesn't make sense, but for some odd reason they feel this will make more money or their creators all wanted Wolverine (most likely the former).

Oh, and welcome tractorbeam.

Last edited:
IcyFlames said:
*Looks up at sky with clenched fists* "Damn you, Marvel!"

Yeah, Wolverine is everywhere. It doesn't make sense, but for some odd reason they feel this will make more money or their creators all wanted Wolverine (most likely the former).

You know what really sucks for Marvel. THey don't realize their fans will buy their products without Wolverine... stupid dumbass mother ............ why can't I curse on this site.... :?

Nurhachi said:
Isnt Uncanny X-Men basically the XSE?

Storm is the head. Every character is a member. Its almost entirely based around XSE related adventures.

TheManWithoutFear said:
stupid dumbass mother ............ why can't I curse on this site.... :?

Because you don't want to offend the kiddies, namely your kiddies.

Knowing this last line will make no sense to poor Tractor, Welcome anyway.

tractorbeam said:
Whats the XSE?

Ooooh oooh pick me pick me

Ok, you know Bishop is from the future right?

Well in the future, he was a cop for the Xavier Security Enforcers. XSE. But when he came to the present, things weren't nearly so hardcore so he mellowed to what he is today. But just recently, during Reloaded, Storm changed the X-treme X-men to be the XSE. The X-treme Sanctions Executive. Basically, they're cops for crimes commited by mutants and also help out local law enforcement some of the time.

Caduceus said:
Ooooh oooh pick me pick me

Ok, you know Bishop is from the future right?

Well in the future, he was a cop for the Xavier Security Enforcers. XSE. But when he came to the present, things weren't nearly so hardcore so he mellowed to what he is today. But just recently, during Reloaded, Storm changed the X-treme X-men to be the XSE. The X-treme Sanctions Executive. Basically, they're cops for crimes commited by mutants and also help out local law enforcement some of the time.
Sounds awesome. Where do I begin?

Ok I'll just take a moment to explain the X-titles of the moment to you.

You have the core 3.
Astonishing- Its written by Joss Whedon. Its one of the best and most popular books out at the moment with complete justification. Read this. The latest issue is number 8 so your not far behind story wise (1 arc and 2 issues) but theres the previous continuity. If you don't get a lot, you'll miss some of the jokes but thats ok. Try not to spoil the return from the dead for yourself if thats possible. I'd recommend grabbing the trade if at all possible. Really.

Uncanny- Tells the classic superhero style stories. Not really realistic but good Claremont fun (Super duper super powered women, lots of typical phrases and its very wordy. Lots of dialog and talking). Personally I like this book but its been a bit up and down. Had a few arcs since Reload but some have been quite interesting.

Adjectivelss X-men- The weakest of the titles so far. There has been 1 arc and a christmas issue so your not far behind. The first arc was written by Austen. I wouldn't recommend it. You might just want to give this one a miss altogether except a new writer (Milligan from X-statix) just came on and may be ok. Personally, make this the lowest of your 3.

Then you have the solo series. I'll mention all I can remember but there are a lot at the moment.

Nightcrawler- Going on a break soon but apparently its ok so maybe if your a fan, about 6 issues so far

Rogue- New writer doing much better, first arc was pretty lame but did finally explain Rogue's family. They were hippies in a cult and her mother had magical powers and went to some alternate plane. It wasn't great. Her name's Anna-Marie. The new writer, Tony Bedard (Exiles) is doing quite well from what I've read. Again, Read if your a fan, 6 issues so far

Gambit- Same as nightcrawler with no break. 7 or 8 issues so far

Cable/Deadpool- This is supposed to be quite a good book, even if you don't like one of the characters. I would probably say this would be a good choice from the solo series 12 or 14 so far

District X- This is also one of the better books out at the moment. Not really a solo book but its centered on Bishop. Its about the less super hero type mutants who live in mutant town 10 or so so far

Then there are the other titles, some important some not so

Excalibur- A book thats getting good. If you like Mags and Xavier, come here. About 10 issues. Not for everyone but lots of people do like it.

Exiles- A great book thats really easy to get into. I wouldn't recommend jumping on at the current issues though. Try to get the trades because, personally I do love this book

New X-men- About the students at Xaviers. Stories aimed at younger readers (less grit, destruction and sex) but they are still some good stories. Really a continuation from New Mutants second series. About 20 issues (incl New Mutants)

Wolverine- Loads of issues. If you like Wolverine, its apparently in a good place now being written by Millar.

The Minis.
X-23- A miniseries about a new character who was in a few Uncanny issues and Nyx (see below). This is only about 2 issues in but its a fantastically written story. Its about her origin. Basically, she's a tiny female Wolverine with a blade in her foot and only two on her hands. Not mutant tiny, just short that is. Even if you dislike the concept, I would suggest trying this book because its so well written

Phoenix Endsong- Supposedly the "Final Story Ever of the Phoenix". Mostly for long time fans. Too continuity laden to use to get into the X-verse. It'll be there when your ready for it.

Nyx- Wonderful book about street life for mutants. This started nearly 2 years ago but its only 4 issues in because of terrible scheduling. Its a great book and it introduces X-23 so some issues might be hard to come by except they're being reprinted in Must Haves for april. 3 issues to come, supposedly in the next few months

Hope this all helps, if you ahve any more questions, just ask and to everyone else, sorry if i made a few mistakes on the issue numbers. They were just guesses.

Caduceus said:
Because you don't want to offend the kiddies, namely your kiddies.

Kids aren't the ones offended by swearing.

Also, welcome Tractor, and i second (third, fourth, etc) the recommendation of Astonishing X-Men. :D

Ok, definitely gonna read Astonishing.

What about the (New) X-Men before Chuck Austen started writing it? Is it worth it?

Well, Chuck Austen isn't on the series anymore. It's now Peter Milligan, and his first issue on the series, which came out last month, was really good. I say its definetly worth picking up now.

I left that out.

X-treme became Uncanny

New X-men became Astonishing

Uncanny became X-men.

These are just based on the cast but thats the way it went. Austen was on Uncanny before and with a few exceptions a long time ago, was really really bad. The only good work he's ever done i know about was on Exiles.

New X-men however was written by Grant Morrison for the entire time it was called New X-men. I would definitely recommend reading this for a few reasons. It explains whats happening on Genosha with Xavier and Magneto now. It explains so many things like secondary mutations, John Sublime and the Phoenix, the Xavier Institute, and so on. Its a great innovative run. Expect some big changes. Pretty much all Morrison's work (114-156) was worth reading. Trades or hardcovers are probably the way to go but you have to read these. Seriously.

Latest posts

Back