Thumbs up or down?

Goodwill

Millar's made a mark on this title, whether good or bad. What do you think?

I believe most of you know how I feel about his run so far. The first issue was fun. The novelty of the Fantastic Four finally getting into the thick of things and actually being part of the world in terms of celebrity and an allegience with the Ultimates was, well, fantastic. I really liked how Millar set that up. Then, as the zombies were introduced (Which I'm convinced only came around to beef up Marvel's horror titles), that was taken away for pure bull****, in my honest opinion. Not only was it obscure, but extremely pointless. There are cooler things to explore--Namor, the Inhumans, time travel, the N-Zone... EVEN DOOM! Furthermore, Millar really dumbed down the title. Any writer following Ellis is going to look stupid when they attempt what he accomplished--science. Millar doesn't really even try to make sense... He's just trying to be convincing but fails miserably. I hate that about his writing. Lastly, and probably most importantly to me, are these three issue arcs. They take away from so much. From what we've seen now, it's going to be a stretch to tie all of these stories together. Seriously. I don't have faith in that. Millar should've done two six-issue arcs and focused on Doom and Namor. He would've put Ellis' run in the back of our heads with a Doom arc. Seriously.

I'm not enjoying the title as much as I'd hoped. But I don't think the FF are all about science. Millar does media well, and the FF are celebrities in the Marvel U and now in this one. I am disappointed that Millar didn't follow Ellis directly from the point where they could not hide in the Baxter building and write a story that documented their rise to stardom.

In the Ultimates Millar clearly has his masked heroes as part of popular culture and everyday day life. Captain America and Wasp were not even recognised by muggers though. The FF could have been his way of getting the story straight about what it is to be a famous hero in the Ultimate universe, instead he went straight to the press scene and it was never heard of again. That was my first disappointment.

Second is that they're spending so much time "off world" - back in time, alternate dimension, top of a mountain, and now deep in the ocean. He's avoiding the real issue at hand, perhaps.

Will this be addressed with President Thor? Maybe, I hope so. But I don't feel as though he's really gotten to the meat and potatoes of the FF yet, science geeks, adventurers, celebrities. He needs to do some work to catch up with my expectations.

You've picked up on some good things that I wouldn't have a problem... Had you not said something. I do agree that they're doing too much out of our world and not getting attention where it's deserved. They're celebrities... Let's show that a little. Like, seriously, the first issue was so cool with that and now, where'd that all go?

Guijllons said:
I'm not enjoying the title as much as I'd hoped. But I don't think the FF are all about science. Millar does media well, and the FF are celebrities in the Marvel U and now in this one. I am disappointed that Millar didn't follow Ellis directly from the point where they could not hide in the Baxter building and write a story that documented their rise to stardom.

In the Ultimates Millar clearly has his masked heroes as part of popular culture and everyday day life. Captain America and Wasp were not even recognised by muggers though. The FF could have been his way of getting the story straight about what it is to be a famous hero in the Ultimate universe, instead he went straight to the press scene and it was never heard of again. That was my first disappointment.

Second is that they're spending so much time "off world" - back in time, alternate dimension, top of a mountain, and now deep in the ocean. He's avoiding the real issue at hand, perhaps.

Will this be addressed with President Thor? Maybe, I hope so. But I don't feel as though he's really gotten to the meat and potatoes of the FF yet, science geeks, adventurers, celebrities. He needs to do some work to catch up with my expectations.
Amen.

I'm giving up... If Millar is supposed to be this big-time comic book writer, why isn't he ever doing it for me? He's not as good as people say he is and I'm not enjoying one of my titles as much as I should right now.

Goodwill said:
I'm giving up... If Millar is supposed to be this big-time comic book writer, why isn't he ever doing it for me? He's not as good as people say he is and I'm not enjoying one of my titles as much as I should right now.
Millar is a great writer. Just not always. It's horses for courses with him though, him more than most. I'm expecting Millar to produce the most amazing piece of comic book fiction I've ever read at some point, he just hasn't done it yet.

Edit: I think in part that's because I never feel anything for his characters.

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
Then, as the zombies were introduced (Which I'm convinced only came around to beef up Marvel's horror titles), that was taken away for pure bull****, in my honest opinion. Not only was it obscure, but extremely pointless.
How are zombies 'obscure'?

Zombies are nothing... They're just an excuse to have senseless killing and cool chase scenes. OH SHOOT that's what Cross-Over consisted of... :)

Goodwill said:
Zombies have no purpose in a title that has substance.
That's not 'obscure'. What you mean to say is that zombies are stupid in a UFF book.

I'm no big fan of zombies, but I don't think they're inherently stupid as a menace or as a story. Sure, zombies are a strange fit in the UFF but nothing is too crazy for the Fantastic Four. I think the problem with Millar's use of zombies in the UFF isn't the zombies themselves, but Millar's writing.

Yes, well, you get what I'm trying to say. Maybe I think zombies can serve some kind of purpose, but not in the UFF. That would make them obscure.

I think he's got a story he wants to complete, and these are all chapters to this story. I'm sure you'll get what you want when it's all over.

Hopefully.

I really hope so to. How he'll be able to tie in a diseased zombie, with a prisoner from Atlantis, with time travelling and whatever else he's got in store, is beyond me, though.

Guijllons said:
I am disappointed that Millar didn't follow Ellis directly from the point where they could not hide in the Baxter building and write a story that documented their rise to stardom.

Yeah, I was really hoping for that too.

ProjectX2 said:
I think he's got a story he wants to complete, and these are all chapters to this story. I'm sure you'll get what you want when it's all over.

Hopefully.

I think so too. It's one big story split up into 4 parts. Everything will tie together in the end.

Goodwill said:
I really hope so to. How he'll be able to tie in a diseased zombie, with a prisoner from Atlantis, with time travelling and whatever else he's got in store, is beyond me, though.

It's not those major plots that will tie in. Somehow there's a common element in all of the stories that will bring them together. The Zombie have nothing to do with Atlantis that has nothing to do with Thor who has nothing to do with a rival school.

I hope that MWoF and you others are right (yeah, I said it8) ) cos I don't want this run to suck. It isn't HORRIBLE. It's nothing like, say, a Bendis run would've been on UFF, but it's definitely lacking something.

The first ish (#21) was good because Millar threw together a bunch of elements in short scenes that all led to that great ending. #22 and #23 weren't so good because they were unbelievable. Millar was trying too damn hard to fit it all together so that the UFF won in the end, that it just didn't work. I mean, how could these FF who claimed to be so much more experienced and stronger than the UFF get stopped by being shut behind a door!? They said it took a day to kill everyone on their world. So, like, what, no one closed a door in their faces when they saw zombie superheroes? Couldn't the zombified Ben just rip the door open or something? I get that there was gas, but that couldn't have slowed them down all that much.

Now the annual, that was pretty bad, imo. Where was the substance? I could barely see what was happening, and I like Jae Lee's art, I really do. The Inhumans were just underdeveloped and stupid. Gorgon's a female? It's just a change for the sake of changing it, there was no reasoning behind it. And Medusa having snakes for hair? Wow...must've taken a genius to come up with that one.
What Millar should've done is tied them into mythology somehow. Perhaps he could've made Medusa the basis for the legends. Same with Gorgon (three sisters, there's something).

Ah, I shouldn't complain, maybe he still has plans for them. Maybe he's gonna get it all together and we're all gonna be sitting in our chairs typing "lol" as we laugh at our inhibitions. I sure hope so.

Nas

Millar did the same thing with MKSM. He had a few arcs, but they were all chapters in a min story. Just wait and see Goodwill and all you other retards. He'll rawk your socks off.

Latest posts

Back