Thumbs up or down?

GMaster said:
Millar did the same thing with MKSM. He had a few arcs, but they were all chapters in a min story. Just wait and see Goodwill and all you other retards. He'll rawk your socks off.
Difference between this and that (Millar rocks hard, btw) is that there the thread was obvious and easy to follow: Aunt May's been kidnapped by a villain who has learnt Spidey's secret identity.
Here, it's not so obvious or easy to follow. So far what do we have that counts as a carry-over thread? Dr Storm being pissed at Reed? The zombie FF? That's about it for now, right? No probs with that. And don't call me a retard, or I'll have to smash you...for I am...Nas-T HULK!!!

Uh...Nas

Nas-T! said:
Now the annual, that was pretty bad, imo. Where was the substance? I could barely see what was happening, and I like Jae Lee's art, I really do. The Inhumans were just underdeveloped and stupid. Gorgon's a female? It's just a change for the sake of changing it, there was no reasoning behind it. And Medusa having snakes for hair? Wow...must've taken a genius to come up with that one.
What Millar should've done is tied them into mythology somehow. Perhaps he could've made Medusa the basis for the legends. Same with Gorgon (three sisters, there's something).

Ah, I shouldn't complain, maybe he still has plans for them. Maybe he's gonna get it all together and we're all gonna be sitting in our chairs typing "lol" as we laugh at our inhibitions. I sure hope so.
The Inhumans are gonna tie in somewhere. Probably within the next two issues. They weren't developed at all but I can't fault Millar because he didn't try to develop them. It was one of those moments. You see something you're in awe by it and then it's gone. At least that's how it should've looked from the FF perspective. I'm sure Namor has a good deal to do with them.

UltimateE said:
I think so too. It's one big story split up into 4 parts. Everything will tie together in the end.

To be honest, I'm a bit sick of the, "just wait - it'll all make sense in the end" philosophy of writing serials. Desperate Housewives, Lost, X-Files, Bendis... it just strikes me these people are trying to justify a series they know isn't very exciting or particulalry well written with the hope the ending will be good. At what point does one think, "He can't write act one well, but man, I'm sure he can write act three!" makes sense?

But yeah - Ultimate Fantastic Four is quite poopy. We had all this, "Will they, won't they" bull**** about them crossing over to 616 which we knew they'd never do which was akin to your mate continuing to threaten you with murder if you don't give him your last rollo. Bull****. Then we had the next two issues, which weren't bad except for the ending which was stupid. Not only was it a big cliche, but Millar missed a wonderful opportunity in using Magneto as the 'uber-villain-that-is-now-good' that sacrifices himself to save the Fantastic Four when Doom would've been a much, much better choice. Then we got the Annual which was bad fanfiction - it was just ****ing terrible, unbelievably pointless. Then we got Tomb of Namor which, despite having a bloody boring first part, the second issue is genuninely interesting and I'm looking forward to the rest of the run.

I'd have to give it 'thumbs down' right now, but I'm hopeful Tomb of Namor will turn it around.

It's just amazing how Millar can write great stories like The Ultimates or The Authority and then utter gash like Wanted or Wolverine.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The Inhumans are gonna tie in somewhere. Probably within the next two issues. They weren't developed at all but I can't fault Millar because he didn't try to develop them. It was one of those moments. You see something you're in awe by it and then it's gone. At least that's how it should've looked from the FF perspective. I'm sure Namor has a good deal to do with them.
I'm sure they will tie in. I just wish there would've been a real story behind the annual. Millar seems to have built the annual around the idea that he was gonna do the Ultimate Inhumans. It doesn't work in the same way that Bendis built the USM annual around the idea that Kitty Pryde was gonna be Peter's new girlfriend. Of course, Bendis' wasn't that bad, considering some of the nonsense he can throw out in a single issue.

I dunno. I didn't hate the annual, it just felt like it was an idea based around "Who can Jae Lee draw for us in the annual? Ah, of course! The same group he's quite well known for drawing really well a few years back!"

Nas

Bass said:
To be honest, I'm a bit sick of the, "just wait - it'll all make sense in the end" philosophy of writing serials. Desperate Housewives, Lost, X-Files, Bendis... it just strikes me these people are trying to justify a series they know isn't very exciting or particulalry well written with the hope the ending will be good. At what point does one think, "He can't write act one well, but man, I'm sure he can write act three!" makes sense?
Exactly.

I don't deny giving writers some amount of faith and the benefit of the doubt, but the problem is that this kind of talk can be easily used for nefarious self-promotion. I mean, okay, we take it on their word that the ending will be great that everything will tie together nicely but regardless if it does or doesn't, they already have our purchasing dollars.

It's like a taxi cab driver telling you, "Yeah I know we've racked up a huge fare but trust me, we'll get there and it'll be awesome."

Bass said:
Don't Bass. Just don't. You implied Bendis was a writer. What the hell is wrong with you?
Sheesh, writer. What will he think of next. Liefeld as an artist?

Bendis would have been at least more thorough and consistant with the characters. Millar is making Reed out to be an idiot and he's making the Storm kids do impossible things...

Also, even if these stories are going to tie together, it seems to me like Millar is wandering. He just wants to have fun and throw odd stuff at the Fantastic Four. Seriously. It's possibly too much, though, since I'm not fond of how jarring these three issue stories are leading into each other. I'll give him to the end of his run, but right now it's not looking too bright.

RUFUS! said:
thumbs up
Thumbs up from me.

I'm not a Mark Millar fan, but if something is fun, it's fun.

The only thing that I didn't like so far is in Issue #24, fourth and last panel of the page, with a very prominent butt shot of Sue and the line "... that beats a (blank) transformation any day of the week." And that was once in 26 issues.

As long as we can stay away from politics, profanities and "heroes" who are slimy and not worth cheering for, I'm probably going to stay happy or mostly happy.

I don't think Ultimate Fantastic Four should be about real science. Not keeping things real or even nearly real isn't a problem for me.

I would have liked a story about the Fantastic Four becoming famous, because that's also a story about going from the mundane to the world of "the fantastic" in a way, and I want that. To me that trip into "the fantastic" is basic to the Ultimate Fantastic Four. (When the going gets weird, our heroes get going.) But not getting everything I want doesn't make the series bad for me.

I like that we see the Ultimate Fantastic Four in time, in space in another dimension, on an exotic mountain, in a Baxter Building made even more fantastic by the sinister genius controlling it and so on. That's what I want.

I like the characters. I like that a lot of work is being put into them. I love that they are heroes, and the more we know them the more we know that.

The stories are good or good enough, they mostly make enough sense. And if the story-telling is wild enough, and comprehensible enough to go with, I'm not interested in finding fault.

Mark Millar can stay on this book as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned. Just keep it amazing, not sleazy, and we're rocking on.

thumbs up! still dont like johnnys hair though. very curious as to what the super skrull is up to, thats whats really keeping this story interesting for me.

Latest posts

Back