Tom Raney to finish 'Ultimate Secret'

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Newsarama.com reports that Marvel has revealed that artist Tom Raney (Ultimate X-Men Annual) will be on to finish the sequel mini to Ultimate Nightmare, which is a part of the "Ultimate Galactus Trilogy". Steve McNiven will now only provide the covers to the last two reamining issues. Ultimate Secret #3 is scheduled for September 28.

As said on Newsarama:

While it's scheduling delay from June to September caused some outcry among fans, Marvel today confirmed for Newsarama that Ultimate Secret #3 is back on the schedule, but without Steve McNiven, artist of the first two issues. McNiven will still provide the covers, but artist Tom Raney will step in to pencil the remaining issues of the miniseries.

In doing so, Raney re-teams with writer Warren Ellis, putting the former Stormwatch team back together for another outing.

"Warren and I really clicked on Stormwatch," Raney said in a press release. "I've been looking forward to working with him again. I've also been enjoying Ultimate Secret and previously Ultimate Nightmare. So, getting the chance to have these two converge is too cool for words!"

As stated, Secret is the second of a trilogy of Ellis-penned miniseries, at the conclusion of the first, Ultimate Nightmare, the Vision, the herald of Galactus (or "Gah Lak Tus" in the Ultimate universe) has informed the heroes that the creature has set its sights on earth.

Even with Raney replacing McNiven though, the issue will still ship in September (the 28th). The minis is slated to run for four issues (according to the solicitation for issue #3). The safe money would see the third part of the trilogy, Ultimate Extinction, debuting in December, as Marvel traditionally likes to begin Ultimate events in December (Ultimate Secret #1, for instance, was slated to ship in December of 2004).

An artist for Ultimate Extinction has not been named.

Last edited:
OUTRAGE.

So it's NOT back on schedule, it's as delayed as it was in the first place.

I am incredibly disappointed to say the least.

This is ****ing amateur hour.

It was delayed so that Steve McNiven could finish the series, and now, someone else is finishing it.

This is just pathetic mis-management.

Obviously, they assumed McNiven could do Sentry and Secret, he couldn't, and now they've had to get Raney (not that Raney is bad at all mind you - I like his art).

I think I would have been less disappointed if they had just pushed back #3 for a couple of weeks and kept McNiven on. At least it wouldn't have made all this a complete waste of time.

****ing shambles.

Bass said:
Obviously, they assumed McNiven could do Sentry and Secret, he couldn't, and now they've had to get Raney (not that Raney is bad at all mind you - I like his art).
It's not that he couldn't, it's that they added an extra issue for him to draw on New Avengers.

I don't care anymore. I relly just don't care. With the delays on Ultimate Nightmare Secret should have never missed a date, and not its coming out literaly months later, with a diffrent artist to boot. So **** it. I'll buy the TPB sometime in 2008 and read it then.

icemastertron said:
It's not that he couldn't, it's that they added an extra issue for him to draw on New Avengers.

The extra issue is why it was delayed in the first place.

He was supposed to do 3, but that was pushed 4, and that messed up the scheduling, and delayed Secret.

Now we find out its still delayed, and McNiven isn't even drawing it anymore. So obviously, McNiven could not do the extra issue and Secret for some unforseen reason.

Unless you mean Bendis added yet another issue to his Sentry arc, making it 5.

Have you guys noticed that ANY thing that has to do with the Ultimates or any of the Ultimate characters, there is always delays, Ultimate Six, War, Nightmare, Secret, Ultimate Iron-Man. Of course there are those small cameos, but that doesnt count.

They way this is worded sounds like they planned on having it delayed even further past September, and now we should be glad it's going to be in September.

Its delayed so he can finish number one selling series "New Avengers" thats why......And i hate it when Artists swap mid story arc, it ruins the consistency! Marvel are really in the new age right now ;)

Baxter said:
I don't care anymore. I relly just don't care. With the delays on Ultimate Nightmare Secret should have never missed a date, and not its coming out literaly months later, with a diffrent artist to boot. So **** it. I'll buy the TPB sometime in 2008 and read it then.

I came to the same decision when it was slated from June to September.

TBP in 2008. being a bit optimistic there aren't you? :) but hey cheer up everybody unlike that Black Cat mini, or Daredevil Father(?) at least this will be finished right, right?

Wamu said:
TBP in 2008. being a bit optimistic there aren't you? :) but hey cheer up everybody unlike that Black Cat mini, or Daredevil Father(?) at least this will be finished right, right?
Hey now, Fathers back on track. And honestly, if you expect anything remotly on time by Kevin Smith then you're living in your own little dream world.

I might be a tad optimistic about 08 though. As long as we get the end of the trillogy by 2010 I'll be happy.

ourchair said:
This is going to be the next Secret War. Bendis is already jealous of its delays. :twisted:
And they both have secret in the title! I smell a conspiracy!

Ultimate Secret War will have one issue EVERY 5 YEARS!

Bass said:
This is ****ing amateur hour.

It was delayed so that Steve McNiven could finish the series, and now, someone else is finishing it.

This is just pathetic mis-management.

I think I would have been less disappointed if they had just pushed back #3 for a couple of weeks and kept McNiven on. At least it wouldn't have made all this a complete waste of time.

****ing shambles.

All good calls... This really doe miff me. For once, I want an Ultimate mini-series having to do with Galactus to have a steady artist all the way through. Stupid MARVEL.

Latest posts

Back