Tomb Raider Timeline/Playing orders

Lucid_Dreamer

Given the recent announcement of the "remastered" trilogy I thought it would be a good time to put up the Tomb Raider timeline. Until recently the games were treated as having three distinct timelines, Classic, Legend and Survivor. However, during the 25th Anniversary it was announced that moving forward there would be a "unified" timeline, where the same version of Lara Croft experienced all of the events of the games. This announcement included the release of a timeline which outlined the order of canonical material, however given the contradictory backstories of each iteration of Lara it is unclear how this would "work".

Since the status of "unified" Lara is a bit ambiguous at the moment I decided the best option would be to treat each Tomb Raider timeline as distinct constructs and leaving the Unified timeline as bare bones until we get more detail.

KEY:
Video Games
Handheld/mobile video games
Novels
Comic books/strips
Live-action films
Animated media

Last edited:
Classic Timeline

The classic iteration of Lara Croft first appeared in 1996's Tomb Raider created by CORE Design. This Lara was active in the 90s and begun adventuring after surviving a plane crash in her early 20s. She is stated to be 28 in the original game, placing her birthdate as February 14th, 1968. Both of her parents are alive and Lara is portrayed as actively rebellious towards them. she was usually portrayed as a "Lone Wolf".

I am going to go with the assumption that the handheld games released during this era are "canonical" to this timeline, however as I play through them I may change this if I find apparent contradictions.

Timeline
???
Tomb Raider I "Atlantis" flashback

July 16
Tomb Raider Opening FMV (00:00 - 00:39)

Tomb Raider Chronicles: The Black Isle

Tomb Raider The Last Revelation: Angkor Wat

July 15th
Tomb Raider Chronicles: The philosophers Stone

February 5th
Tomb Raider Chronicles: The Spear of Destiny

April/May
"Mean Machines" comic strip
Tomb Raider (1996)

???
Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business
-Level 3: Atlantean Stronghold
-Level 4: The Hive

August
-Level 1: Return to Egypt
-Level 2: Temple of the Cat

Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider: Escape from the Dragons Lair
Tomb Raider II The Golden mask

Tomb Raider: The Nightmare Stone
Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword

Tomb Raider Chronicles: Tower Block

Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raider III: The Lost Artifact

Tomb Raider: Times exclusive mission

December
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation

Tomb Raider Chronicles: framing story
Tomb Raider: Amulet of Power

Tomb Raider: the Prophecy

Tomb Raider: The Osiris Codex
Tomb Raider: Quest for Cinnabar
Tomb Raider: Elixir of life

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

Tomb Raider: The Lost Cult
Tomb Raider: The Man of Bronze

December 21
Tomb Raider: Dark Aeons pg 1-4

mid February
Tomb Raider: Dark Aeons pg 5 - 46

Read/Play order
Official Core Design biography (found here)
"Mean Machines" comic strip (found here)
Tomb Raider (1996) & Unfinished Business DLC
Tomb Raider II

Tomb Raider: Escape from the Dragons Lair
Tomb Raider II Golden Mask DLC

Tomb Raider III & The Lost Artifact DLC
Tomb Raider: Times exclusive mission

Tomb Raider Chronicles press release kit (found here)
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider: the Prophecy
Tomb Raider: The Osiris Codex
Tomb Raider: Quest for Cinnabar
Tomb Raider: Elixir of life

Tomb Raider: Dark Aeons

Official Core Design biography
This is an outline of Lara Croft's back story as understood by Core Design, Tomb Raiders original developers. Its pretty detailed and doesn't really match with the back stories of other iterations of Lara Croft.

"Mean Machines" comic strip
Promotional strip for the first Tomb Raider game which appeared in "Mean Machines", a British gaming magazine. The last frame features Lara walking into a cafe, which the implication that this is the establishment in Calcutta where she meets Larsen at the beginning of the first game.

Tomb Raider (1996) & Unfinished Business
The original game! The PC version of this game also came with an expansion pack, where Lara revisits locations from the Egypt levels. Curiously, Unfinished Business begins with the (fictional) city of Khamoon being flooded. Given that Egypt has a rather dry climate I decided to place this game in August, shortly after the seasonal flooding of the Nile. For the original game I placed it in April/May, placing it in the Calcutta summer which matches the apparent climate in "Calcutta" intro. Given the majority of the game takes place inside, I take this would be the best placement while also giving Lara some time before revisiting Egypt.

According to the level developer, the scenarios in "Unfinished Business" were reversed, with the Atlantis levels supposed to occur first. Given the plot summary for the levels indicates that the Atlantis levels occur shortly after the main game while the Egypt level summary implies some time has passed, I have separated the level packs, although this is mostly speculation.

Escape from the Dragons Lair
This is an odd one I stumbled across. its not an officially released piece of Tomb Raider media but its an additional level of Tomb Raider II allegedly designed by a Core Design employee. I decided to include it albeit with the caveat that it was never professionally released.

Tomb Raider Chronicles
This is a game which features a lot of flashbacks to different adventures Lara went through, and there tends to be some controversy in placement, however the press release kit gives some very explicit placements for each adventure. There are some continuity errors in these stories, but given that they are being retold by people several years later I think it is appropriate to just assume that the "unreliable narrator" narrative device is in effect.

Tomb Raider III
Possibly a bit of a hot take here but I've moved Tomb Raider 3 to 1999. It seems to be an assumption online that Tomb Raider games take place in the year they were published, unless otherwise stated. However, The TR chronicles press kit explicitly places the "Tower Block" level in 1999, and that level revolves around Lara obtaining an artifact called the Iris, which is found in the mansion in TR3. It seems to me the 1999 placement does make more sense.

These two were games released in 2000 and 2001 respectively. "The Nightmare Stone" is not an official title but it is used "Stellas Tomb raider site" to differentiate it from TR1996 and TR2013. There isn't much information on the plot-line of these games outside of them using the PS1 design of Lara, leading most to place them before Last Revelation. Since this timeline has both TR3 and 4 taking place in 1999 I decided to move these two into 1998 to avoid making 1999 too busy.
Tomb Raider: Dark Aeons
Dark Aeons is a french Tomb Raider graphic novel that was published in 1999. It ends with a tease for a future story but given Top Cow obtained exclusive comic rights shortly afterwards. It was never published in any other language, but fan translations can be found online. It gives clear dates of the month the adventures take place in, but not the year date. It makes reference the first game, but no other adventures, and also explores the Atlantiean civilization in more detail. Given the story ends up on a sequel hook that isn't followed up I decided to place it at the end of the timeline.

Last edited:
Legend Timeline

This timeline begins with 2006's "Tomb Raider" Legend and appears to function as a "Soft reboot" for Tomb Raider. This Lara was active in the 2000s and she was motivated towards adventuring after the loss of her mother in a plane crash during childhood. Data mining in Legends files indicate that Lara was born in 1977.

This series primarily consists of Legend, Anniversary and Underworld but there is a frequent assumption that the later "Lara Croft" games and novels released during the "Survivor" era take place on this timeline.

Some statements by developers imply that they considered legend a part of the "classic" timeline, which to me indicates that legend is a "soft reboot". When considering what classic installments should be considered canon in the Legend timeline I decided to take a more restrictive approach and only used installments which were later listed in the unified timeline. It should also be noted that in the Legends data its mentioned that Lara has artfiacts from these games in her mansion. This creates a bit more a streamline approach which removes the more obscure titles. I have listed the classic installments in italics as they are only semi-canonical.

Timeline
July 16
Tomb Raider Anniversary Opening FMV

Tomb Raider Anniversary
-Croft's Manor

April/May
Tomb Raider Anniversary
-Peru
-Greece
-Egypt
-Lost Island

???
-Level 3: Atlantean Stronghold
-Level 4: The Hive

August
-Level 1: Return to Egypt
-Level 2: Temple of the Cat

Tomb Raider Legend
Tomb Raider Underworld
TBC

Read/Play order
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider II & Golden Mask DLC
Tomb Raider Chronicles

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Lara Croft and the Frozen Omen
Lara Croft and the Blade of Gwynnever

Tomb Raider Legend
Tomb Raider Underworld

Tomb Raider Anniversary
In game text states that Anniversary takes place in 1996, while Legend's game data states she was born in 1977. This would make Lara 19 in Anniversary, which seems quite young. However, this iteration of Lara did not undergo conventional schooling and traveled with her archeologist father throughout her adolescence so she would have some experience in this lifestyle. Given her age, I would assume that previous to Anniversary Lara has only a couple of adventures, including the hunt for bigfoot and some version of the "Philosophers stone" plotline from Chronicles
Placed "Croft's Manor" prior to the main game. There isn't actually much context for placement, aside from it stating that Lara is returning from a trip. Given that she is portrayed without any weapons and is shown collecting her (surprisingly well hidden) guns despite being shown with her guns in the main games opening scene, I decided to place it prior.

Last edited:
Survivor Timeline

This timeline begins with 2013's "Tomb Raider" which is very clearly a complete reboot of the franchise. These games begin with Lara's initial "call to adventure" and then show Lara Croft growing into the "Tomb Raider" as it were. Probably the most strongly structured timeline so far, as the series featured multiple comic and novel tie-ins that were clearly stated to be canonical. It is possible that this timeline will be the basis for the "unified" timeline but its hard to say at the moment.

Timeline
Tomb Raider Inferno Issue 2 pg 2-4

Tomb Raider v3 Issue 5 pg 1-2
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 5 pg 17 panel 3-7

Tomb Raider v2 Issue 9 pg 12-16

February 14

Tomb Raider v3 Issue 9 pg 1-2

???? - 2003
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 15 - 18

Spring
Tomb Raider Inferno Pg 9-21 (flashback panels)

Tomb Raider v2 Issue 3 pg 1-3

Tomb Raider v2 Issue 7 pg 1

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

-Level 3: Croft Manor

Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 2 pg 7-10

Tomb Raider v2 Issue 5 pg 1-2

2010/2011 (a couple years back)
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 10 - 11

July 10
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 1 - 9
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 12 - 14
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 19 - 20

July 11
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 21 - 45

July 12
Tomb Raider: The Beginning pg 45 - 52

Mid July
Tomb Raider v2 Issue 8 pg 1-5

Late July
Tomb Raider 2013

First week of August
Tomb Raider 2013 end scene

Mid August - Mid September
Tomb Raider the ten thousand immortals

Late September
Tomb Raider v2 Issue 1-6 Season of the Witch (main story)

February

Tomb Raider v2 Issue 7-12: Secrets and lies (main story)

(roughly) May - July
Tomb Raider v2 Issue 13-18: Queen of serpents

July 25
Rise of Tomb Raider: "Sessions" recording

October(???)
Rise of Tomb Raider Announcement trailer

November 10
Rise of Tomb Raider
-Level 2: The Prophets Tomb
-DLC: Blood Ties

Mid-November
Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Level 1: Mountain Peak
-Level 3: Siberian Wilderness
-Level 4: Glacial Cavern
-Level 5: Soviet Installation
-DLC: Baba Yaga: Temple of the Witch
-Level 6: Abandoned Mines
-Level 7: Geothermal Valley
-Level 8: Acropolis
-Level 9: Flooded Archives
-Level 10: Research Base
-Level 11: The Orrery
-Level 12: Path of the Deathless
-Level 13: The Lost City
-Post-credits scene
-Post-game mode opening scene

Late November-Early December
Rise of the Tomb Raider
-DLC: Blood Ties post-game mode
-Pre-credits scene

June(???)
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 1 4-22
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 2
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 3
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 4
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 1 pg 1-3
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 5 pg 3-17 panel 2
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 5 pg 17 panel 8 - pg 22
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 6
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 7
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 8
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 9 pg 3-22
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 10
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 11
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 12

July(???)
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 2 pg 3 - 15

August(???)
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 1
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 2 pg 1-2
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 2 pg 16-22

???
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 2 pg 13-15

January (???)

Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 3 pg 1-2

Spring
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 3 pg 3-4

Summer
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 3 pg 5-6

Fall
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 3 pg 7-8

Winter
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 3 pg 9-22
Tomb Raider: Survivors Crusade Issue 4
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 1
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 2 pg 1
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 2 pg 5-6
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 2 pg 11-12
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 2 pg 15-22
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 3
Tomb Raider: Inferno Issue 4

November 2
Shadow of Tomb Raider
-Level 1: Cozumel

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Path of Apocalypse: pg 8-12

November 3
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Path of Apocalypse: pg 13-36
November 4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Path of Apocalypse: pg 37-263

November 5
Shadow of Tomb Raider
-Level 2: Peruvian Jungle

November 6
-Level 4: Kuwaq Yaku
-Level 5: Trial of the Eagle
-Level 6: Paititi (first visit)
-Level 7: Belly of the Serpent
-Level 8: Head of the Serpent
-Level 9: The Mountain Temple
-Level 10: Cenote
-Level 11: Paititi (second visit)
-Level 12: Porvenir Oil Fields

November 7
-Level 13: Mission of San Juan
-Level 14: Paititi (third visit)
-Level 15: City of the Serpent

November 9
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider (end scene)

Spring 2019 (???)
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider (post-credit scene)

Play/Read order
Tomb Raider: the beginning
Tomb Raider 2013
Tomb Raider v2 Issue 1- 6: Season of the witch
Tomb Raider v2 Issue 7-12: Secrets and lies

Rise of Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 1-6: Spore
Tomb Raider v3 Issue 7-12: Choice and sacrifice
Tomb Raider Survivors crusade Issue 1-4

Tomb Raider Inferno Issue 1-4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Mexico level)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Path of Apocalypse
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (rest of game)

NOTE ON LARA'S AGE & TIMELINE
Working out the exact timeline for events in the Survivor timeline is tricky. In interviews the creators have stated that the games each take place roughly one year after the previous game, how this does not match up with in-game details. A gravestone in "Shadow" places that game in 2018 at earliest and a recent event in "Survivors Crusade" places that story in 2017 at earliest. "Rise" opens with a recently released magazine dated as November 10th. Placing the initial reboot game is a bit trickier, as newspapers in "Rise" date the events of the game in either April 2012 or August 2013. I decided to go with the latter to match with general fan consensus.

This means that Lara was born in 1992, was 21 in 2013 during the events of the reboot, 23 in 2015 during the events of Rise, and 26 in 2018 during the events of Shadow.

Tomb Raider 2013
Placement of the events of this game based on newspaper in "Rise" which dates the rescue of the crew of the Endurance to the first week of August. Using this date I worked back to place the events of the main game, "The Beginning" and other flashbacks.

In the novel Lara states that the events of TR2013 happened "a year ago". This has been stated to be an error and doesn't line up with other plot points, and it has since been stated to take place between the game and the tie-in comics in the official timeline. Lara also learns a bit about Trinity at the end but suffers a concussion which means she doesn't remember all the details (although if we are going to treat Lara's injuries as real then a concussion is the least of her worries...)

Season of the witch
Stated to take place a month after TR2013

Secrets and lies
Placement of this story based on some in-game text from "Rise of the Tomb Raider"

Included due to featuring a scene with Lara in therapy which is exclusive to this trailer. It is linked to the "sessions" recording which can be found in "Rise" itself, which lists the therapy session as "July 25th". No year is given but for plot reasons it must happen in 2016. Given that the trailer seems to portray a later session that means it must take place sometime between July 25th and the beginning of "Rise". I placed it in October but it could take place earlier.

Rise of Tomb Raider
Dating based on in-game magazine covers. Story also begins with the "Mountain Peak" level before flashing back. The end credits scenes also take place out of order, with the Post-credit taking place shortly after the end of the main story and the pre-credits scene taking place sometime later, when Lara has recovered from the adventure but it is still fresh on her mind. Interestingly, the post-game "open world" mode where you can wander and mess about in the games world, gathering collectables etc beings with a brief scene which indicates that it takes place between the post-credit and pre-credit scenes.

Baba Yaga: Temple of the Witch
DLC which takes place during the "Soviet Installation" level.

Blood Ties
A Rise of the Tomb Raider tomb raider level which, curiously, is not integrated into the main game like Baba yaga despite taking place during the games plot. "Blood Ties" takes place between the "Prophets Tomb" flashback and the Mountain Peak opening level in the main game, with characters referring to Lara visiting the Mansion between these two scenes. "Blood Ties" also features a post-game mode where you can explore the level which appears to be set before the pre-credits cutscene.

Spore

issues 1-6 of volume 3 of the Tomb Raider comic take place over the course of a week and begin at the "university of Minnesota Archeology Conference". Given that this conference is fictional I am placing it roughly during Springtime in Minnesota to match the apparent weather.

Choice and Sacrifice

Slight continuity hiccup here, Issue 6 of Volume 3 ends with Lara receiving a dramatic phone call about Sam and then Issue 7 opens with Lara receiving an entirely different dramatic phone call about Sam. Since we didn't see much of the call in issue 6 we can assume that its unrelated to the events of "choice and sacrifice" (perhaps it was just an update on her condition? or contact from Sam's understandably bitter mother?). Issue 7 also opens with Lara stating that she has "spent the last week" reviewing her fathers notes in relation to the events of "Rise", so I assume it takes place a week after "Spore".

Survivors Crusade
Interesting timeline in this one, although frustratingly without any dates. Issue 2 includes a flashback to Lara and Jonah traveling in Thailand, with Lara referring to it as a holiday following the events of "Rise" and "Spore". I placed it in "July" to be congruent with the weather in Thailand while also being recent enough that the events of the earlier installments are still somewhat fresh.

The main story of issues 1-2 is said to take place one month after the flashback, placing it in January. Issue 3 includes a montage of Lara's globe trotting adventures over the next year, with each section broken up into seasons (which doesn't really work with globe-spanning adventures, but I just assume that they are referring to the global north's seasons). There is also a flashback to Lara's childhood in Issue 3 but no dates outside of "Spring" to place it. Given that Lara appears to be an older child I placed it in 2003, shortly before Richards death.

Inferno
Follows on immediately from Survivors Crusade. Issue 2 includes some flashbacks which quite dramatically altered the timeline, as stated above.

Shadow of Tomb Raider
Date on a grave stone indicates that the game takes place in 2018 at the earliest. Game begins with an action sequence before flashing back "Two days ago" to a section that takes place on Day of the Dead, explicitly placing the Mexico level on November 2nd and the Peru level on November 4th. Note that this places "Shadow" as almost a year after the events of "Survivors Crusade" which works given that Lara and Jonah are portrayed as actively hunting down Trinity for some time now, which doesn't match up exactly with things in Survivors Crusade/Inferno. Not to mention that Jonah's hair is a lot longer than it was in Inferno.

rest of the games events take place with a scripted day/night cycle, making it easy to track the passing of each day. The post-credit scene takes place an undefined amount of time following the end of the game with Lara back at home. Given the apparent weather I've placed it in Spring 2019.

Path of Apocalypse

Path of the apocalypse is a short novel that takes place during the two days between the Mexico and Peru sections of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I have managed to map out the breakdown of each days events, using the page numbers from the kindle e-book version.

if you are planning to do a play/read-through of the survivor timeline the placement of this one is a bit awkward. While it is a prequel to "Shadow" it does spoil some big plot points from "Shadow"s opening level, so I guess you either read the book after playing the game or do what I do, which is play the Mexico level, then read Path of Apocalypse, and then return to playing the game.

Last edited:
Unified Timeline:

As stated previously, the unified timeline is a combination of the three previous timelines, and as of September 2023 we have not seen any installments in this timeline. This timeline is based on the official timeline that was posted by Square Enix that has since been taken down (although you can find it on the wayback machine). I have also included the Angel of Darkness tie-in novels as they were rereleased during the anniversary event and described as "partially canon"

Timeline order
Tomb Raider 2013

Rise of Tomb Raider

Shadow of the tomb raider path of apocalypse
Shadow of tomb raider

Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft
Tomb Raider (1996) / Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Unfinished Buisness

Tomb Raider Chronicles

Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Underworld Beneath the Ashes & Lara's Shadow

Last edited:
Top Cow Comics Timeline
In 1997, Top Cow began publishing their own take on Lara Croft, "Tomb Raider: the series". It fleshes out the personality and character of Lara quite a bit, and it appears to be the first time we see Lara being motivated by the tragic death of her parents. This Lara is also shown to be quite a romantic, having multiple lovers over the course of the series (usually roguish scoundrels, but oh well). This iteration of Lara was also fully intergrated into the Top Cow/Image comics shared universe, taking part in multiple crossovers.

The Top Cow series can be a bit tricky to follow, with many one shots and miniseries being released. Most of these are standalone, however if you want to read through the series in chronological order, I would reccomend using the order below, starting with Tomb Raider & Witchblade revisited (1997) and then reading through all the modern age stories in the following order, saving issue 50 for last as it is written as a clear conclusion to the series.

Prehistoric era
Tomb Raider issue 5 pg 18-21
Tomb Raider Issue 6 pg 1-20

Medieval era
Tomb Raider Issue 6 pg 17-18 (flashback frames)

Tomb Raider issue 43 pg 4

Tomb Raider issue 41 pg 7
Tomb Raider issue 41 pg 10-11 (flashback panels)

Tomb Raider issue 30 pg 15-16

Lara is born

Tomb Raider issue 45 pg 10 panel 3-4

Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 2-3

1987/1988/1989/1990
Tomb Raider ½ pg 4-5

Tomb Raider ½ pg 7

Tomb Raider: Epiphany Pg 14 panel 3

1991/1992/1993
Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 6 panel 3-4, pg 7-8

Tomb raider ½ pg 10-16
Tomb Raider Issue 2 Page 11 (flashback frames)
Tomb Raider issue 45 pg 12 panel 1-5

Tomb Raider Issue 13 pg 18 panel 4 – pg 21 panel 2
Tomb Raider Issue 14 pg 7 panel 2 – pg 13 panel 3

??? 3 months earlier
Tomb Raider & Witchblade Revisited (1997) pg 7-9

???
Tomb Raider & Witchblade Revisited (1997) pg 1-6
Tomb Raider & Witchblade Revisited (1997) pg 10-18

Tomb Raider: Takeover pg 7

December
Witchblade/Tomb Raider (1998)

June
Tomb Raider 0

July
Tomb Raider ½ pg 1-3
Tomb Raider ½ pg 6
Tomb Raider ½ pg 8-9

December
Tomb Raider 1
Tomb Raider 2 page 1-7
Tomb Raider issue 2 page 11-21
Tomb Raider issue 3
Tomb Raider issue 4

Tomb Raider: Origins
Tomb Raider: The Greatest Treasure of All

June
Tomb Raider issue 5 pg 1-17
Tomb Raider issue 6 pg 21

Dark Crossings: Dark Clouds Rising
Dark Crossings: Dark Clouds Overhead

July
Witchblade/Tomb Raider 0.5

September
Tomb Raider issue 7-10

September/October
Tomb Raider 11-12

May
Tomb Raider issue 13 pg 1- 18 panel 3
Tomb Raider Issue 13 pg 21 panel 2- pg 22
Tomb Raider Issue 14 pg 1 – pg 8 panel 1
Tomb Raider Issue 14 pg 13 panel 4 – pg 21
Tomb Raider Issue 15

September
Tomb Raider 16-17
Tomb Raider 19 pg 1- pg 20
Tomb Raider 20 pg 1-2
Tomb Raider 20 pg 12, 20-21

December
Tomb Raider 18

May
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 3-7
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 11-13
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 19-21
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 1-2
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 8-10
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 14-18
Tomb Raider issue 21 pg 22
Tomb Raider issue 22
Tomb Raider issue 23

October
Tomb Raider Issue 24
Tomb Raider/the Darkness special

February
Tomb Raider issue 25
Witchblade 60
EVO issue 1 pg 8 – 26

Tomb Raider issue 26-28

February/March
Tomb Raider issue 29
Tomb Raider issue 30 pg 1-14. 17-31

July
Tomb Raider issue 31

Fathom issue 12-14

August
Tomb Raider: Epiphany

Tomb Raider Issue 32-34

August/October
Tomb Raider Issue 35-37

Tomb Raider: Sphere of Influence
Tomb Raider: Takeover pg 1-7, 9-21
Tomb Raider: Arabian Nights

June 20th
Tomb Raider issue 38-39

July/August
Tomb Raider Issue 40
Tomb Raider issue 41 pg 1-6, 8-21
Tomb Raider issue 42

August
Tomb Raider issue 43 1-3, 5-21
Tomb Raider issue 44

October
Tomb Raider issue 45

November
Witchblade issue 78
Tomb Raider issue 46-48

February
Tomb Raider issue 49

April
Witchblade & the Tomb Raider: Scarface's treasure

September
Monster War issue 2 pg 4-5
Monster War issue 1
Monster War issue 2 pg 1-3, 6-21
Monster War issue 3

Monster War issue 4

???
Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 7 panel 4, pg 8-9
Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 12-14
Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 15-17

Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 18-20

2145(???)
Tomb Raider issue 50 pg 1, pg 4 panel 1-2, pg 7, pg 10-11, pg 14 panel 4-5, pg 18 panel 1-4, pg 21-22

Caronnes future
Tomb Raider 19 pg 20
Tomb Raider 20 pg 3-11
Tomb Raider 20 pg 13-19

5030 AD
EVO Issue 1 pg 1-8

Note on Top Cow continuity
This iteration of Lara Croft is exclusively placed in the Top Cow shared universe, with Lara having multiple crossovers with other characters and being shown to be best friends with Sara Pezzini, holder of the Witchblade. The Top Cow comics were part of Image comics shared universe, which has a unique approach to continuity. According to Erik Larsen, each series takes place in its own sub-continuity, with a version of the crossover taking place in each sub-continuity. This means that, "Witchblade" has its own version of Lara Croft, while "Tomb Raider" has its own version of Witchblade. The advantage of this approach is that it allows the crossovers to happen but also means that other series aren't tied to whatever continuity happens in other series (for example, if Witchblade blows up planet Earth and Tomb Raider doesn't acknowledge this, we can just assume it doesnt happen in the Tomb Raider sub-continuity).

Regardless, a full timeline of the Top Cow and/or Image shared universe is outside the scope of this project. But if this interests you this series is a good start

Note on continuity with Journeys
"Journeys" was a miniseries that was published during the run of the main series. Both were published by Top Cow, and Journeys references events from issue 0 of the main series (including the same comic frames even).

This would imply they are the same continuity, but it appears that they are not. Notably, Lara is portrayed as different in these series, with the main series Lara shown as a ruthless killer and "Journeys" Lara is shown to have an aversion to killing. Also, dating in both of these series show they both take place around 2002/2003, and the events couldn't happen at the same time.

However, given that the two are shown to have similar timelines, I am going to assume that the birth date in "Journeys" is accurate for the main series as well.

Note on continuity with games
It is possible that the first three games happened within the Top Cow series, as they mostly happen before the series begins. However, Last Revelation/Chronicles likely couldnt happen as the plot would overlap with the events of the series. There is also an adaption of "Angel of Darkness" in the series as well.

In issue 50, it is mentioned that fictional games of Lara's adventures were made, but it is unclear how closely they adapted Lara's life.

Lara's childhood
most of Lara's childhood flashbacks she was given an age, making them easy to place. However in Tomb Raider 1/2 we see some undated flashbacks to her in school and her receiving a gun from an unseen man. Given that "Epiphany" shows us that Lara's training as an adventurer began with Von Croy I am assuming that is who gave her the gun. I decided to keep alignment with the games and have the "Von Croy" flashback take place when she is 16 and have the other flashbacks placed around it.

Chase Carver's betrayal.
Issue 13 & 14 tell us the backstory about how Chase Carver originally betrayed Lara. There is no dating aside from saying its early in Lara's career. At one point Lara comments that it looks like he hasnt cleaned up "since 1997" which I am choosing to read as the year of their break up, so I placed it accordingly.

Dating Lara's adventures
There is not much evidence of dating in the Top Cow series, the EVO crossover issue takes place in 2003 and issue 38-39 take place on June 20th, but thats about it.

It is likely that Lara's adventures take place in comic book time, with the events taking place in an ambiguous "Present". For simplicity, I have decided to set the series in roughly real time, with stories being placed in the month of the first issues publication, unless in-text references suggest otherwise. I have done the same with the specials.

some exceptions to this rule are the 0 and the 1/2 issue, which felt like they had to be before the rest of the series. Origins/Greatest Treasure of All feature Lara and Chase working together with references to Chase's earlier betrayal, so I placed them early in the series just after Chase's first appearance. "Fathom" states that its the sixth time that Sara and Lara have worked together, so the majority of crossovers have to happen before that. Finally, "Monster War" is a cross-company crossover and Lara's last appearance with Top Cow. Given it takes place on long, cold nights and features fights with classic horror monsters, I had to place in October.

Tomb Raider issue 50
Issue 50 is the final issue, and acts like a form of "celebration" of the series. However, it does also retcon a few things. Lara's parents are shown to be archeologists themselves, which we didnt see before. Lara is shown to be doing quite active adventuring as a teenager, which doesn't really match up with her previously shown backstory but oh well. The later flashbacks have no clear dating, so I have left them with no indication. The framing story takes place 7 generations ahead of current day, so if we assume each generation is about 20 years we get a date of about 2145, which seemed as good as any.

Tomb Raider: Journeys
This miniseries was published by Top Cow but was a separate version from their main line. An interesting series although one in which Lara ends up feeling like a very different character. Notably, while she carries her guns she does not fire at people which feels very out of character to how she is usually portrayed.
If you wish to read this series for yourself, I would recommend simply reading each issue in order of publication. That being said, a rough breakdown of the timeline follows.

Lara is born

1987-1992

Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 5 pg 7 (flashback frames)

Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 10 pg 4

Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 7 pg 8 (flashback frame)

1993-2000
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 5 pg 7

March
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 1
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 2

May
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 3

June
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 4

September
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 5 pg 1-6
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 5 pg 8-21
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 6

September/October
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 7
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 9 pg 1-16

The Dreaming
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 9 pg 17-23

Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 10 pg 1-3
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 10 pg 5-21
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 11 pg 1-17 panel 3
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 8
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 11 panel 4 - pg 21
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 12 pg 2-3

late 2002
Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 12 pg 1

Tomb Raider: Journeys issue 12 pg 4-21

Lara's age
Issue 5 has Lara attend her graduation which lists her as "class of 1992", meaning she graduated in 1992 making her birth year 1974. Its notable that in the school flashbacks Tony Adler has a tattoo which you cant get until you are 18, but we can assume he got it either towards the end of his study or illegally (also, we are all in the agreement that Tony Adler is supposed to be Tony Blair, right?)

Placement of issues
There is little to place the stories themselves, so I decided to place them around the time of the stories publication, which is 2002, making Lara 28 which fits with her portrayal. While some of the later issues came out in 2003 the implication appears to be that they take place pretty close to each other.

Issues 1-4 are stand-alone stories with some linking plot threads, so I decided to place them around the month of publication. The exception is issue 1 which is likely to happen shortly before issue 2. Issue 4 is also stated to be a month after issue 3.

Issue 5 takes place at Lara's 10 year graduation anniversary party. Graduation parties in the UK often take place in September so I placed it there. Issue 6 takes place on the same night. Issues 7 & 9 follow Lara going traveling immediately after the party so they take place in September or October depending on the actual date of the party and how long Lara spent traveling.

Issues 8,10 & 11 and parts of 9 & 12 take place in "the dreaming" which is stated to be a "timeless realm". However from a narrative perspective these issues take place between issue 9 and 12 so I.... just placed them all there. Also I wanted to note that Lara meets with a Māori tribe to access the dreaming, but the Dreaming is more typically associated with Aboriginal Australians, that being said they do a fairly decent job of portraying the traditional Māori lifestyle for a British comic published in 2002.

Issue 8 explicitly takes place between panels in Issue 11

Issue 12 is shown to be after the rest of the story. While a date isn't given the events of the series are still prominently on Lara's mind, so I placed it in late 2002, with Lara getting accustomed to her new arrangements.

The death of Myles
Myles was Lara's mentor, and his death was portrayed as a turning point in Lara's career. However, Issue 12 shows that his passing was in 1989 which would make Lara 15 despite her being portrayed as much older in those pages despite how she is portrayed in the high school flashback frames... nevertheless given its a solid date I've placed it there.

Lara's Teacher
Issue 5 contains a flashback to Lara's teacher receiving a parcel from Lara. This could take place at any point before issue 5, albeit Lara says it was " a few years ago" so I decided to make the range 1993-2000.

Did this version of Lara experience any of the games events?
I was wondering this since this Lara's professional career presumably begins in 1993 she could have easily have experienced some version of the events of the Core Design games, although the conclusion of the story makes any of the games from "angel of darkness" onward unlikely. Lara's aversion to killing would also lead to some changes in the events of those games.

Last edited:
Other Media

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider feat. Angelia Jolie

The Angelia Jolie movies are interesting in the wider context of the franchise, as the first movie represents the pinnacle of the franchises popularity, whereas the sequel is often derided as being a franchise killer (although the movie creators would blame "Angel of Darkness" for that). Overall they are cheesy fun, combining elements of both the games and comics, although I believe this movie is the first time Richard Croft is portrayed as being an archeologist himself. This iteration of Lara was born in 1975 and frequently worked with the IT whiz Bryce and her butler Hillary (played by Chris Barrie of Red Dwarf fame).

While there were plans for a third movie, the poor reception of Cradle of Life prevented this. Therefore this canon consists of both movies, their novelizations and a U2 music video.

Ancient times
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 36:41-37:10

332 BC
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life Chapter 2 pg 36-38

Lara is born

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Prelude
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 37:48-37:53

August
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Interlude 1

December
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Interlude 2

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 11:45-12:20
May 15
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Interlude 3
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:24:02-1:24:08
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Interlude 4

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life Chapter 1 pg 13-27

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 14 pg 169-171
Tomb Raider (1996)

Tomb Raider II

May 15
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 00:00-11:44
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 2-4

May 16
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 12:21-22:29
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 5-8

May 17
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 22:30-32:51
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 9-11

May 18
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 32:54-36:40
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 12-13

May 19-20
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 14 pg 168-169

May 20
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 37:53-38:35
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 14 pg 171-178
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 38:35-39:56
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 15-17
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 39:57-1:01:29
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 18

May 21
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 19-20
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:01:30-1:06:29
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 21 pg 244-259

May 22
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 21 pg 260-265
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:06:30-1:07:10
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 22
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:07:10-1:11:59
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 23-24
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:11:59-1:20:03
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 25-28

"Broken Time"
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:20:04-1:22:02
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 29

May 22 redux
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:22:03-1:24:02
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:24:08-1:27:40

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Chapter 30-32

Late May
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 1:27:41-1:28:47

July
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - U2 Music Video - Elevation (watch here)

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life

Novelization/movie discrepancies
While the novelizations mostly support the movies themselves, in the case of any discrepancies the movie should be given priority. One notable conflict in the first novelization is how Richard Crofts death scenes are placed in 1980 not 1985. While I have tried to keep most of the dates from the novelization the same, this one is an obvious case where it should be ignored.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
The main events of the first film explicitly take place over a week, beginning with the anniversary of Lord Croft's death. This is supported both by the film itself and the novelization. The day by day breakdown is supported by references in-text and also by factoring in how long it would take to travel between locations. The novelisation also contains a series of interludes which flashback to 1980 and so that has been placed accordingly. there is also a brief flashback describing how Lara met a particular friend before going on a mission for "Natla Technologies", an obvious reference to the first Tomb Raider game so I placed it in 1996. It is also mentioned that Lara studied under Verner von Croy, however there is no accompanying flashback.

While the first movie had some clear dating around events, there is nothing to date the events of "Cradle of Life" so I placed it in 2003, the year of the movies release. The novelization does have some interesting additional details, with Lara having a flashback to the age of 13, which is referred to as 15 years ago by another character, making her 28 at the time. I have used this to place her birth-date. There are also references to the events of Tomb Raider II and Angel of Darkness taking place, so these have been placed on the timeline, although the events this version of Lara experienced may differ.

U2-Elevation
U2 released a music video tie-in to the first Tomb Raider movie... and it has a plot which features Lara Croft so.... yeah its canon why not. The plot is a little strange, U2 is attacked by evil U2, who we know are evil because they wear even more black than regular U2 and float. Lara Croft rescues The Edge who is now her quirky sidekick I suppose. U2 and Evil U2 have a shown down where they both fight each other with the power of music. U2 beats Evil U2. Also there is an elephant and a giraffe.

I placed it in July 2001 because that's when the video came out, I'm not breaking it down further than that.

Re\Visioned: Tomb Raider
tbc

late 1980s
Pre-teen Raider

2000s
Keys to the Kingdom (part 1)
Keys to the Kingdom (part 2)
Keys to the Kingdom (Part 3)

Revenge of the Aztec Mummy

Angel Spit (part 1)
Angel Spit (part 2)

Lara Croft: Legacy

Raising Thaumopolis

A Complicated Woman

Tomb Raider (2018)
The 2018 Tomb Raider movie reboot (featuring Alicia Vikander as Lara) used the plot of Tomb Raider (2013) as a loose basis, but the plot ultimately takes its own direction. Lara in this film is 23, having been born in 1995. This movie is portrayed as her first adventure. They appear to have tried to make this a more "down to earth" portrayal, given that Lara is working as a bike courier but given that she still has the upper class background and accompanying inheritance it feels more like she is on her "gap year". The movie has a few loose ends in it regarding the "trinity" plotline from the games and it was supposed to be the start of a franchise, with a sequel tentatively titled "Tomb Raider: Obsidian" which unfortunately was never made, mostly due to the pandemic. There is one movie and no spinoff material so you can just watch the movie itself, but a short breakdown of the timeline of the movie follows:

01:41:55-01:41:56

May 17th

00:00:55-00:01:55
May(???)
00:34:43-00:35:41

00:01:55-00:34:43
00:35:42-01:41:54
01:41:56-01:51:19

Last edited:
not sure if anyone is following this timeline but my original plan was to work through the franchise in chronological order, starting with the original games, up through the latest reboots and then using the new ports of Tomb Raider as an opportunity to see how those games could fit into a shared timeline.

However due to unforseen circumstances I may not have access to my gaming PC at the beginning of next year. Because of this I have instead decided to play through the reboot trilogy as I should be able to run the earlier games on my laptop if needed. Fortunately, I have already worked out the timeline for TR 2013 and its tie ins so I was able to upload that tonight. So my plan is to finish TR1996, then move to Rise and Shadow. This goes against my instincts when it comes to playing orders, but alas. I may also add some parts of the timeline with less detail (hence the "main story" qualifiers) to make sure I can get through it in efficient time

I have also been reading "Witchblade" in preparation for the Top Cow Tomb Raider timeline. Its ah... its very 90s

not sure if anyone is following this timeline but my original plan was to work through the franchise in chronological order, starting with the original games, up through the latest reboots and then using the new ports of Tomb Raider as an opportunity to see how those games could fit into a shared timeline.

However due to unforseen circumstances I may not have access to my gaming PC at the beginning of next year. Because of this I have instead decided to play through the reboot trilogy as I should be able to run the earlier games on my laptop if needed. Fortunately, I have already worked out the timeline for TR 2013 and its tie ins so I was able to upload that tonight. So my plan is to finish TR1996, then move to Rise and Shadow. This goes against my instincts when it comes to playing orders, but alas. I may also add some parts of the timeline with less detail (hence the "main story" qualifiers) to make sure I can get through it in efficient time

I have also been reading "Witchblade" in preparation for the Top Cow Tomb Raider timeline. Its ah... its very 90s
I'm following It.

The opening of the First Tomb Raider (1996) Is in 1945.
is it? where do you get that information from? EDIT: nevermind I found it

thank you both of you for giving me a shout out by the way

Also, talking about timing, we finally have a trailer (and official title) for the Tomb Raider animation!

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Lucid_Dreamer take a look at this:

go to the goodies section for each game it has a lot of content.

Hey Mr. Lucid_Dreamer take a look at this:

go to the goodies section for each game it has a lot of content.
awesome find Megatron! thank you!

I've also have created a "1.0" draft of the classic timeline. Keep in mind I havent been able to play/read through most of this timeline yet, but I wanted to get something down, particularly as there are lots of small "dubiously canon" installments in this era

aaaand the play through and construction of the "Survivor timeline" is complete! Shadow ended up taking a while as I found it to drag a bit, but that ending was awesome.

If you were checking in while I was writing it up you may have noted that I went back on forth on placement of a few things. Some members of the creative team have stated that the games were supposed to take place one year after each other but that just doesn't work with the tie-in material, so it takes place roughly over six years. Lara's life in the games roughly breaks down as:

2013: Yamatai, early conflicts with Trinity
2014: isolation, worsening of PTSD symptoms, growing obsession with fathers "legacy"
2015: Lara enters therapy, Rise of Tomb Raider events
2016: further comic adventures, becomes estranged both Sam and Jonah
2017: spends year traveling before recommitting to fighting Trinity & reuniting with Jonah
2018: Spends year actively destroying Trinity, ending with the events of "Shadow"

keep in mind this is only true for the "survivor" timeline, and I view any installments being released from "Legend of Lara Croft" onwards to be part of the "Unified" timeline. So if the game developers decide that they want those three games to take place over three years post-pandemic, then I will make that work (somehow)

Moving forward, I will be focusing on the later Tomb Raider movie and Anniversary, before moving forward with the series somewhat following the "unified" timeline

Unified Timeline:

As stated previously, the unified timeline is a combination of the three previous timelines, and as of September 2023 we have not seen any installments in this timeline. This timeline is based on the official timeline that was posted by Square Enix that has since been taken down (although you can find it on the wayback machine). I have also included the Angel of Darkness tie-in novels as they were rereleased during the anniversary event and described as "partially canon"

Timeline order
Tomb Raider 2013

Rise of Tomb Raider

Shadow of the tomb raider path of apocalypse
Shadow of tomb raider

Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft
Tomb Raider (1996) / Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Unfinished Buisness

Tomb Raider Chronicles

Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Underworld Beneath the Ashes & Lara's Shadow
Hey mr. @Lucid_Dreamer Will you do and a timeline section for the unified timeline?

Hey mr. @Lucid_Dreamer Will you do and a timeline section for the unified timeline?
Yeah probably, Im just waiting for them to release some content within the Unified timeline, because I am half expecting them to retcon it so that "Legend of Lara Croft" takes place in present day with the "survivor" trilogy taking place in the three years preceding it. This goes against all the dating info and general pacing of the survivor series so as a preventative measure I decided to creator the "survivor" timeline to show that timeline as presented while the "unified" timeline will be allowed to shine in all its retconned glory

I do need to update this timeline however, to include Anniversary and the 2018 film. Since we are getting pretty close to the remaster trilogys release date Im thinking of focusing on some of the spinoff media until it comes out (my original plan of following the series in chronological order has been torn to shreds but oh well best laid plans of mice and men and all that

oh and Merry Christmas!

sooooooo Tomb Raider Remastered came out and.... its a decent remaster with no outstanding glitches! (well... from what I've seen... only been able to play the tutorial... its been a busy month)

Over the last few months I have also been able to complete most of the expanded universe timelines, meaning that the Jolie movies, the 2018 film and the Top Cow comic have been completed with the Re/Visoned timeline more or less completed (there's not much of a "timeline" in that series per se, but I'll add some flavor text)

as previously stated the Survivor timeline is also completed and now I can carry on with the Classic/Legend/Unified timeline! So far I've only done Anniversary/1 so its going to be a bit of a journey. I also played through "Nightmare Stone" and "curse of the Sword" and while they are neat little game boy recreations of Tomb Raider there is no timeline content in them so I am keeping em where I have played them.

Enjoy the remasters and Happy Valentines, Happy Pride Month, and Happy Lara Croft's Birthday!

Didn't Top Cow Lara appear in Monster War, which had a sequel in the form of Army of Darkness vs the Classic Monsters? So, are Dynamite and Top Cow casually the same universe and no one really talks about it? Lol

Latest posts

Back