Too much of a good thing

I think that it might be moving a little fast in the X-Men department, but aside from there it's really growing gradualy. What we need is an Ultimate X-Guide, just to see who was really who and who was just an overeger artist.

While you're right, that would never happen, you know? I think that the fact that there's been pretty much all the mainstream characters show up within, what, three years, is pretty bad... :-/

Goodwill said:
Xorn was just created, what, a year ago? We don't need an Ultimate version of him for a long, long time! I would like the classics, if any, first.

I don´t think that because a character is a recent character, you should exclude them. New characters are fine but they are slightly less likely, lacking the convoluted history thats all.

P.S Xorn turns 4 sometime soon i believe. He first appeared in an New X-men annual 2001.

Caduceus said:
I don´t think that because a character is a recent character, you should exclude them. New characters are fine but they are slightly less likely, lacking the convoluted history thats all.

Agreed. Normally by Ultimizing a character they are "fixing" problems with him/her. The problem with Xorn is not anything that Morrison did, it's how Marvel crapped on him after the fact.

I'm not talking about Xorn in general, it's the fact that they still have room to build on these characters and if you ultimize one that isn't "stable" than you have problems. For instance, Ultimate Gwen Stacy's never going to boink Norman and have those two kids... That's a storyline missed. That's an example.

So your saying they should only Ultimize characters that are stale and have nothing else that can possibly be done with them??

Goodwill said:
I'm not talking about Xorn in general, it's the fact that they still have room to build on these characters and if you ultimize one that isn't "stable" than you have problems. For instance, Ultimate Gwen Stacy's never going to boink Norman and have those two kids... That's a storyline missed. That's an example.

Thank god...

Ah, Baxter is a 'Sins Past' hatah.

You've got this little secret database don't you E/Watcher. You just fill in the arcs we hate and so on and record. I'm waiting for your wife to blame us for your head getting out of proportion!

Muh hu ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Well, I didn't mean to get us stuck on something like Sin's Past, as I imagined we would, but do you see what I'm saying? "Catastrophic" things are still happening and, if these characters are being given new backgrounds and are being killed off before anything is said and done, then those storylines are lost.

However, not every catastrophic event in a character's life has to be ultimatized, especially ones that didn't pan out well in the end. Many times in these mainstream comics, some big events that become unpopular are somehow phased out or retconned. If they decided to make Nightcrawler's dad Satan in the UU, and then realized that the idea received negative reactions for both universes, they'd be screwed. So it might be better to use what worked in the past, and etch out their ideas from that.

The problem will arise when the new events become the status quo of the character. If Wolverine ends up leaving the X-Men forever and is an Avenger for the rest of his comic book career, then UX would have to incorporate this. That shouldn't be too much of a problem (obviously BKV can write the X-Men without Wolverine). Same with 'Sins Past'. If Stacy's kids become popular characters, a writer will find some way to incorporate them into the UU (Stacy's cousins, Stacy's half-brother/sister who grew up at an accelerated pace because of super-serum, I really couldn't care less about these two).

There are many stories that can be told in the Ultimate Universe, many characters who have tales not yet covered. I don't see USM lasting for 500 issues, but if there is a point where Bendis (or whatever writer for whatever title) has ultimatized every great story to their breaking point, well then, there are twice as many crappy stories out there that could easily be fixed up. The ideas won't run out.

Welcome! Two new guys at the same time...

Welcome Icyflames - too bad you weren't here a few days earlier for the "best avatar" poll. Awesome. :lol:

also...

Every story doesn't have to be an ultimized story of something we already know. like most of us have already seen they can come up with some new creative stuff on their own. i wouldn't mind seeing a few ultimate characters that are new i've seen a couple but there's no need to stop now.

UltimateE said:
Welcome Icyflames - too bad you weren't here a few days earlier for the "best avatar" poll. Awesome. :lol:

oooo sure add him in.... :lol:

IcyFlames is from comixfan and I just got a new referral I dunno if it was him or not but yea, go me...

I already welcomed him first thing last night via PM but I'll do it again. Welcome home Icy.

Latest posts

Back