Top 25 Characters Ever

Huh? If that were true you could just give the ending away completely, of Watchmen or any movie from however long "a certain time period" is.:?

Member rules - "Spoilers should be labeled as such. Threads labeled "spoilers" in the title do not need to have spoilers labeled within, but spoilers in a non-spoiler thread and off-topic spoilers should be hidden with the spoiler tag."

I don't get what the problem is. If it gives away a surprising bit of info you're not supposed to know going into something, hit the spoiler button that's right there on the posting window. Am I missing something?

I agree, but I think it's a case to case basis. I think we are expected to use our better judgment as what is a spoiler as to what is not. The ending to Watchmen would be pretty huge, but I think that Wolverine's real name is not a big deal anymore.

Maybe I would ask E to clarify. There is also nothing wrong with spoiling something you are not sure about. It would never hurt.

Wolverine's real name doesn't matter, shouldn't be spoiler-texted...

Any Watchmen stuff would have been fine two years ago, but since we're on the eve of a movie that the majority of the board (even those who haven't read Watchmen) will be seeing, I think it's fair to spoiler-text any of the major reveals at the end of the book.

The ending to Watchmen would be pretty huge, but I think that Wolverine's real name is not a big deal anymore.

I disagree.

Maybe in modern, day-to-day soap-opera continuity it doesn't really matter, but it ruins the shock-surprise of 'Origin' (which is a stand-alone story with its own twists and turns that should be discovered by the reader as they read it) if you already know what his real name is. I found out his real name because the instruction booklet of 'X2: Wolverine's Revenge' had it written in a little profile of Wolverine at the start. I was really pissed off when I eventually read Origin, because the surprise factor just wasn't there.

It's exactly the same as Rorschach's name, except that Origin isn't as big a deal as Watchmen. You don't find out that the character is in actual fact another character you never would have suspected until later on in the story. It's ruined for you if it's just randomly listed somewhere before you read it.

I had the same problem with The Dark Knight's teaser trailer and Jim Gordon's
'death' :p

Last edited:
Wolverine's identity has been out in the open, constantly referred to in both the Ultimate and 616 universes for the last seven years. It's on the wiki page, its, as you said, on Video Games... And so on.

Wolverine is James Howlett. Anyone who wasn't there for the initial shock has already been spoiled at some point in the recent past.

Latest posts

Back