Top 30 Sci-Fi movies rated by Yahoo! Users

Re: Top 31 Sci-Fi movies rated by Yahoo! Users

Deja Vu mad the list? I liked it and all but it sort of skipped out on its premise for the happy ending there at the end.

Revenge of te Sith is number 17? Come on now.

...Iron Man is number 1? Iron Man? I liked it. I saw it twice in the theater, but come on. Its not THAT great. Its not number 1

...Iron Man is number 1? Iron Man? I liked it. I saw it twice in the theater, but come on. Its not THAT great. Its not number 1
I'd say the movie is really, really good - maybe "that" great, too. But I don't think it's a #1 either. Highly excellent and enjoyable, but not #1. Top 5? Maybe. Top 10 for sure. But I think most people are still just reeling in from the awe of it.

Last edited:
I'd say the movie is really, really good - maybe "that" great, too. But I don't think it's a #1 either. Highly excellent and enjoyable, but not #1. Top 5? Maybe. Top 10 for sure. But I think most people are still just reeling in from the awe of it.

THe problem is that I don't even see it at top 10 worthy in sci fi. And its not problems with the movie but how many other AMAZING films have been made in the genre. And honestly how wide the genre can be. I mean they've got Ghost Busters and Donnie Darko on the list too.

THe problem is that I don't even see it at top 10 worthy in sci fi. And its not problems with the movie but how many other AMAZING films have been made in the genre. And honestly how wide the genre can be. I mean they've got Ghost Busters and Donnie Darko on the list too.
Eh, the thing is that lists are all about opinion, really. You don't think that the movie is worthy of even a Top 10 spot, but I do.

There is some truth to that.

I'm now waiting for the onslaught of lazy media studies grad students who are going to flood the system with requests for essays about Iron Man. :rockon:

Iron man beat all 3 OT Star wars movies , BTTF and ghostbusters?

THEY ARE ****ING MAD! :lol:

Last edited:
Serenity. Yes. I agree with this.
X-Men: The Last Stand. No. What the hell?
I Am Legend. It was enjoyable but flawed. I don't know about this one.
Donnie Darko. Still haven't seen it, but from what I hear it deserves to be on here.
X2: X-Men United. It is the best X-Men movie and one of the best Marvel movies... but do they really count as sci-fi? It's such a wide genre... I don't know if these comic book movies should be on here.
Deja Vu. I haven't seen it. I heard it was crap.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I haven't seen it but from what I hear it deserves to be on here.
Ghostbusters. Definitely.
V For Vendetta. Another comic book movie.
The Terminator. Definitely.
X-Men. Okay, **** off. It is the worst X-Men movie and is totally boring.
Predator. Okay.
Superman. I think these should be on another list.
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Hmm.
Alien. Definitely. Should probably be higher.
Spider-Man. What? No.
Jurassic Park. I love this movie. It should definitely be on there.
Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Of course.
Incredibles. What?
Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Definitely.
The Day The Earth Stood Still. I guess so.
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. Not my thing, but it's a good movie.
The Matrix. Yes.
Back to the Future. Yes.
Aliens. Yes.
Return of the Jedi. I think it should be on the list, but not this high.
The Empire Strikes Back. Same here.
Transformers. Wait, what? #3 Sci-Fi movie? WHAT THE ****. I like the movie but what the hell is it doing on this list and why is it so high?
Star Wars. I guess.
Iron Man. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WRONG.

Well. Quite a crappy list. A few great sci-fi movies on it but they're all over the place. Too many comic book movies. No Blade Runner. No 2001: A Space Odyssey. They are wrong.

Here's a slightly better list of the 50 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Ever by TotalFilm:

50 Barbarella (Roger Vadim, 1968)
49 Primer (Shane Carruth, 2004)
48 Flash Gordon (Mike Hodges, 1980)
47 The Man Who Fell to Earth (Nicolas Roeg, 1976)
46 A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg, 2001)
45 Gojira (Ishiro Honda, 1954)
44 Serenity (Joss Whedon, 2005)
43 Forbidden Planet (Fred M. Wilcox, 1956)
42 THX 1138 (George Lucas, 1971)
41 Tron (Steven Lisberger, 1982)
40 Independence Day (Roland Emmerich, 1996)
39 Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)
38 Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven1990)
37 The Day the Earth Stood Still (Robert Wise, 1951)
36 The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)
35 Akira (Katsuhiro Ohtomo, 1988)
34 Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven, 1997)
33 District 9 (Neill Blomkamp, 2009)
32 Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
31 Dark Star (John Carpenter, 1974)
30 Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985)
29 Predator (John McTiernan, 1987)
28 Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam, 1995)
27 Mad Max 2 (George Miller, 1981)
26 Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
25 A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
24 Minority Report (Steven Spielberg, 2002)
23 Robocop (Paul Verhoeven, 1987)
22 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
21 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Don Siegel, 1956)
20 Wall-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
19 Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
18 Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)
17 Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009)
16 The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
15 Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron, 1991)
14 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)
13 Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly, 2001)
12 Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)
11 Avatar (James Cameron, 2009)
10 The Terminator (James Cameron, 1984)
9 The Matrix (Wachowski Brothers, 1999)
8 Inception (Christopher Nolan, 2010)
7 Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
6 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Steven Spielberg, 1982)
5 Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)
4 Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
3 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2 The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
1 Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)

Last edited:
I'm glad to see such a comprehensive, decent list. A bunch that usually don't get recognized are noted like Starship Troopers and Brazil. The glaring exceptions to me right now are Contact, The Truman Show and The Fifth Element, at least the first of which should be in the top ten. I also think Galaxy Quest trumps a lot of the films on there are definitely deserves a spot. Donnie Darko's my favourite film on the list, but I probably wouldn't just up and call it sci-fi.

In terms of what's actually on the list, Avatar ranking ahead of Back To The Future is too much, but for the sake of picking battles I'm gonna single out Empire Strikes Back at #2. Sit down and watch that film objectively, as a film, etc as best you can. It's great, no question, and it's a classic and all that. But it's just not a better film than Inception or Minority Report. It's a grand adventure set in space, but stuff like Inception is - if you'll excuse the pretentiousness or whatever you want to call it - the web-like spasms of genius minds nigh-impossibly harmonized and done justice on film. But the problem is, if you rank more than a few movies ahead of the orginal Star Wars films, especially movies recent enough to still have hype around them, nobody takes it seriously. So fair enough on their part. Inception'll be beating it as a given within the next decade or two once it's old enough to be a "classic". Until then, decent list. Makes me wanna see the 13 films on it I haven't seen yet.

Last edited:
WTF? 2001/2010, Blade Runner, Metropolis and The Thing, aren't even on the Yahoo list??

The TotalFilm one, I can kinda agree with, tho the whole A Clockwork Orange rating lower than stuff like Avatar, Minority Report, and Terminator 2 just kinda bugs me.

Project has gone (even more) list crazy. I get a Tweet from him while I'm on the train yesterday, telling me to finish up a list I started two years ago!

Latest posts

Back