Top Ten Science Fiction Movies of All Time

Joss Whedon's talking out of his ***. The raptors kill Muldoon and Arnold, and the T-Rex tries it's *** of to kill the kids.

Have you just repressed memories of the second movie? Sure, the T-rexes eat that guy in the second movie, but then there's a rampage through a crowded city and only the bad guy dies. Even in the first movie, the T-rex saves them from the velociraptors. That's another reason it was so stupid that the spinosaurus in the third movie just killed it. ****ing spinosaurus.

Have you just repressed memories of the second movie? Sure, the T-rexes eat that guy in the second movie, but then there's a rampage through a crowded city and only the bad guy dies. Even in the first movie, the T-rex saves them from the velociraptors. That's another reason it was so stupid that the spinosaurus in the third movie just killed it. ****ing spinosaurus.

Except all of us are only talking about the first movie here.

The T-rex may try to kill the kids, but it ends up eating only bad guys and saving everyone.

Because they escaped , and it had been hunting them then it saw raptors attacking them and figured "i'll take out the raptors as they are more of a threat , then eat my prey" but they escaped again

Yes! someone else mentioned the awsomeness that is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Anybody who has read my story ideas knows that I'm a firm believer in the idea of a "remix culture" -- that, just like in chemistry, you can take a little something from Element A and Element B, and if you mix them up the right way, you can arrive at an end-product with all the positive qualities of its source material, but still with its own narrative identity and unique story to tell. (Yes, I call myself 'compound' for a reason. Not just because it sounds cool.)

And to me, Sky Captain... is a great example of this concept, in practice. It's almost entirely made up of homages to films and TV shows that helped define the sci-fi and adventure genres, and yet it manages to stand on its own, as a movie.

Also: Klaatu barada nikto!
:lol:

Nobody got that reference, when I mentioned it in the "Do you speak another language?" thread.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still, if it was handled by a forward-thinking creative team.

Last edited:
And to me, Sky Captain... is a great example of this concept, in practice. It's almost entirely made up of homages to films and TV shows that helped define the sci-fi and adventure genres, and yet it manages to stand on its own, as a movie.

Yeah me too , I love how it like a huge homage to the old b-movies , even use moving backgrounds in stead of cgi and yet its a totally new and fresh film that impressed the **** out of me.

Very few films made the last 7 years have really impressed me. This was one of them. Spider-man 3 I love as everyone knows but did not impress me the same way this did.

Another that did was V for Vendetta

10 - Serenity
9 - Westworld
8 - Empire Strikes Back
7 - Blade Runner
6 - Terminator 2
5 - Logan's Run
4 - Fifth Element
3 - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2 - The Matrix
1 - 2001: Space Odessy

Boo-ya! Try and dispute that list! I dare ya!

Ok i will.

Empire strikes back is not sci fi. Lucas himself has said in the past something similar to what DSF said. Star wars is not sci fi but instead fantasy. It's fantasy in a sci fi environment.

yeah that's all I got :lol: nice list

Last edited:
4 - Fifth Element

Seriously?

It's a well-made, enjoyable film, with an awesome villain, and plenty of technical merit... but one of the top 10 all time? I don't think so. (And I had it in my head, while I was making my own list, so it's not like I have no signficant memories of the film.)

I can't honestly pin-point what I don't like about it. I mean, I'll admit there are no terrible performances, or gaping plot holes (despite the over-simplistic plot), or badly-edited sequences. It's got the basics all in place.

But I can't think of anything that would elevate it above "merely competent" -- other than Gary Oldman's wonderfully over-the-top acting, and superior production design for some of the props/sets/costumes.

Overall, it's just... there.

In a lot of ways, I think Luc Besson is like the film equivalent of Ed Brubaker -- totally awesome when he's doing crime-oriented material :)heart: Leon/The Professional :heart: ), but somewhat underwhelming, as far as space opera goes.

Last edited:
In a lot of ways, I think Luc Besson is like the film equivalent of Ed Brubaker -- totally awesome when he's doing crime-oriented material :)heart: Leon/The Professional :heart: ), but somewhat underwhelming, as far as space opera goes.
Luc Besson is a hack.

I take it you've only seen The Professional. His crime-oriented material outside of it is pretty underwhelming and most of the 'good ones' that are attributed to his ostensible greatness are productions in which he was screenwriter/producer rather than in the director's chair.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said about The Fifth Element though, even if it stands as being actually better than his crime material.

To sum it up, you only like The Professional because you're a closet pedophile who wants to play scruffy daddy to an underage Natalie Portman, you sicko.

Joss Whedon's talking out of his ***. The raptors kill Muldoon and Arnold, and the T-Rex tries it's *** of to kill the kids.
Collateral damage.

It also strengthens the parallel, for like the Judaeo-Christian God, the Yahwehsaurus Rex makes mistakes in his fallibleness.

Last edited:
Alphabetical order:

Back to the Future
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Planet of the Apes
Predator
Robocop
Serenity
Starship Troopers
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Transformers
Twelve Monkeys

Last edited:
Hrmm... I'm adding Event Horizon to my list. I know it'll be a bit controversial since we're arguing over whither or not Star Wars is Sci Fi so the perfect Sci Fi Horror film will raise some eyebrows. This brings my list to

• Event Horizon
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Aliens
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Twelve Monekys
  • Planet of the Apes (Heston)

No specific order. I feel that gets a bit arbitrary.

Hrmm... I'm adding Event Horizon to my list.
Anybody who takes a crap on Event Horizon is a self-important prick who subscribes to middlebrow notion of cinematic 'great'ness.

It is STILL one of the best science fiction horror pieces of all time and it took exactly the tone it needed.

Hrmm... I'm adding Event Horizon to my list. I know it'll be a bit controversial since we're arguing over whither or not Star Wars is Sci Fi so the perfect Sci Fi Horror film will raise some eyebrows.

Personally, when I think about "real" Sci Fi, I like to classify it as a story that could be described as "What might happen to a person's life/society/civilization if [insert technological advancement] happened?".

Event Horizon fits that, because the technological aspect is just advanced space travel. Star Wars.... we're dealing with a whole different Galaxy, a magical force, etc. That's why some of us say it's more fantasy than Sci-Fi. I don't think Event Horizon will be challenged.

Interesting film, too.

Personally, when I think about "real" Sci Fi, I like to classify it as a story that could be described as "What might happen to a person's life/society/civilization if [insert technological advancement] happened?".
It's a bit of a half-joke, but I like to say science fiction doesn't mean fiction about science, it means the SCIENCE of fiction.

As in a systematized logic of 'WHAT IF' this was true, what would be the 'THEN' that follows? The 'physics' of one hypothetical scenario changing everything around it because of how the writer reasons this WHAT IF to affect everything else.

It's basically applying the scientific method to storytelling logic.

Bear in mind, I'm half-kidding when I say this. But I'm also half serious.

Also, about Event Horizon: It's my favorite Sam Neill movie EVER. He's actually an actor of underwhelmingly average talent and almost indeterminate range. But for some reason, I like him in spite of it and wish I could cast him in more things, simply because he channels an interesting presence you don't get from other non-American Anglophones (i.e. New Zealanders, Scots, etc.)

Stargate. How did I not have Stargate on my list. Kurt Russel, James Spayder, and the amazing effects. One of the best. This brings my list to

• Event Horizon
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Aliens
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Twelve Monekys
  • Planet of the Apes (Heston)
  • Stargate

Only three movies to go.

...if only Big Trouble in Little China would count.

I've made a rather glaring change to my original list, as well as another minor one. New list:

1. Back to the Future
2. Jurassic Park
3. Minority Report
4. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
5. The Matrix
6. Twelve Monkeys
7. Blade Runner
8. The Fifth Element
9. Aliens
10. The Terminator
11. Starship Troopers
12. Total Recall

Last edited:
The most frighteningly realistic sci-fi movie EVER:

07-seearnoldrun.jpg

Good thing it's only science fiction, huh?

Latest posts

Back