Trek Talk

I got into Trek when a friend took me to see Star Trek: Generations in the cinema. I hadn't seen any Trek befor that. Generations was Star Trek 7, and the first film for the Next Generation crew. I went out and rented pretty much the entirity of the Next Generation and really enjoyed it, and got hooked.

The thing to realise is with the three good Trek series (Next Gen, DS9, and the original) there is a ratio of good and bad episodes. There is, in all three, a number of god awful episodes that hurt your brain. But they also have a fair number of good episodes, and every now and again, have an amazing episode.

I'll just go through it quickly,

The Original Series - the style of the series is somewhat dated and campy, however, the actual stories, characters (and yes, the acting) is all extremely well done. The thing is, the show didn't have CGI or the money to do huge effects, so the episodes primarily deal with the ethical and moral implications of a situation or encounter, as opposed to big, shiny, action sequences. Virtually every episode takes a strong idea and truly mines it for a lot of dramatic potential. But this doesn't mean every episode is a hit. Some episodes suck, but some are absolutely brilliant, and pretty much every episode has something in it worth seeing. I was telling Adam Hughes, who's a big Trek fan, that the original series doesn't have a much higher percentage of 'good' episodes compared to other Trek shows. It's not the amazing thing it's made out to be. He responded, "Ah, but the bad episodes in other Treks are bad. The bad original series episodes are CLASSICS." He's right.

Some episodes I particularly enjoyed - The Corbomite Maneuver, The Naked Time, The Doomsday Machine, Mirror Mirror, and perhaps my personal favourtie, The Galileo Seven.

The Next Generation - The series is kinda weird and very much like a rehash of the original series for the first two seasons. Then, in the third season, the production values and the costumes change, and the writing steps up. The show lasted twice as long as the original and I think, is a terrific sequel to the original, capturing it's feel and moving on. What's more, the ensemble cast becomes a real family in the show. But what really put this show on the map was the two-parter, "The Best of Both Worlds", which shows the Borg and is most likely, one of the best Trek stories ever made.

Some episodes - Time Squared, Yesterday's Enterprise, Cause and Effect, Chain of Command, Starship Mine, Timescape, and Q Who?, which has the first appearance of the Borg.

Deep Space Nine - Quite boring in the beginning, possessing vast plot holes, and a bit of a rip-off of Babylon 5, Deep Space 9 starts getting into the groove in its third season, and slowly, gradually building up to its seventh season, creates a large arcing story about the war with the Dominion. However, with the exception of the first 6 episodes of season 6, and the last 10 of season 7, you can dive in anywhere and pick it up. The show's main feature is its darkness - it's much grittier than the other series.

Some episodes - Duet, Whispers, Civil Defense, The Visitor, Hard Time, Apocalypse Rising, The Ship, The Assignment, The Ascent, Children of Time, Rocks and Shoals, The Magnificent Ferengi, In The Pale Moonlight

They're all quite enjoyable if you just sit down and watch them.

As for Voyager and Enterprise - they're both terrible shows. That said, each have at least one episode worth watching. I quite liked Voyager's "Someone To Watch Over Me", and Enterprise's "Regeneration" (a Borg episode). But the Borg, pretty much the best Trek villain, Voyager totally ruined. Voyager is the only Trek series in which the Borg suck. But yes, I'd avoid these two shows until you've seen everything the movies and the other three shows have to offer.

As for the movies, the adage is "odd number Treks are ****, even ones are good". I actually dislike only Star Trek 1, and while the odd numbered treks ARE weaker for some strange reason, none are unwatchable. The best though are 2 and 6, no question.

I'd advise starting with, any of the following, because they're brilliant: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, or The Next Generation epsiode, "The Best of Both Worlds".

Those three are a great entrance into Trek. After that you've got the episodic gems of each series that crop up now and again.

I really get into alternate dimension/alternate timeline stories...if you don't, pay no mind to my novel suggestions.

Once you get to the Trek books, I highly reccomend most of the Trek books written by Peter David I have read. My favorites include the Imzadi novels (especially the first one), Q squared, and Vendetta.

The most fun I've ever had reading Star Trek novels was Peter David and John DeLancie's novel I, Q. Only read this if you have gotten very comfortable in the Trek univers and like the Q episodes.

That said, rated on sheer coolness, Dark Mirror by Diane Duane is, hands down, my favorite Trek Novel. It takes the idea from TOS episode Mirror, Mirror and extends it into the next generation.

Bass, I pretty much agree with everything you said, especially the episode and movie choices.

The only two things I disagree with is your assessment of Enterprise and that you liked Star Trek 5 (!?). Enterprise I understand. As I've said, its a guilty pleasure of mine and I rarely argue about why people don't like it. . .because I perfectly understand.

But, how in the HELL did you find enjoyment in The Final Frontier!? When I do my Trek marathons, that's the only movie I cringe to watch. I can watch the other 9 (Even 1 and Nemesis) and get some enjoyment from them (Especially, as you've said, 2 and 6, but I'd add 4 and 8 to that list as well), but not that one.

But he never got assimilated. :D

Plus, Nemesis sucked. So, it doesn't count. :p

God was Nemesis bad. Its the only Trek movie I've never made it through.

I wish some TV channel would start running Enterprise reruns. I'd like t give the show a shot.

I wish some TV channel would start running Enterprise reruns. I'd like t give the show a shot.

I can watch it. Just because I love the TNG cast. But, it ties with The Motion Picture for second worst.

But, Final Frontier. . .ugh.

Did anyone here actually read Star Trek/X-men?

Bass, I pretty much agree with everything you said, especially the episode and movie choices.

The only two things I disagree with is your assessment of Enterprise and that you liked Star Trek 5 (!?). Enterprise I understand. As I've said, its a guilty pleasure of mine and I rarely argue about why people don't like it. . .because I perfectly understand.

But, how in the HELL did you find enjoyment in The Final Frontier!? When I do my Trek marathons, that's the only movie I cringe to watch. I can watch the other 9 (Even 1 and Nemesis) and get some enjoyment from them (Especially, as you've said, 2 and 6, but I'd add 4 and 8 to that list as well), but not that one.

Trek 5 has a stupid ending because they ran out of money and script. Before they reach Sha-ka-ree, what was really wrong with the film? It's an enjoyable romp. Sybok is pretty cool. I really like the film, but it is truly let down by it's stupid ending, but I fail to see why it's so hated.

Same for Nemesis.

Nemesis was a worse version of Wrath of Khan, but it wasn't too bad. I thik I is the worst, and then there's a big leap in quality to the mediocre III. After that, V, VII, IX, and X, are all pretty enjoyable. IV and VIII are a lot of fun, then you get II and VI which are blatantly the best of the lot.

It's really retarded. It's not worth it. Go for B5 instead.

Trek 5 has a stupid ending because they ran out of money and script. Before they reach Sha-ka-ree, what was really wrong with the film? It's an enjoyable romp. Sybok is pretty cool. I really like the film, but it is truly let down by it's stupid ending, but I fail to see why it's so hated.

Same for Nemesis.

Nemesis was a worse version of Wrath of Khan, but it wasn't too bad. I thik I is the worst, and then there's a big leap in quality to the mediocre III. After that, V, VII, IX, and X, are all pretty enjoyable. IV and VIII are a lot of fun, then you get II and VI which are blatantly the best of the lot.

I'll agree about Nemesis.

As for Final Frontier. . .it was too. . .I dunno, campy? Too busy making fun of itself? I also didn't really like Sybok. It would have bee a better movie if they had gotten Sean Connery to be Sybok, like originally planned (He was doing The Last Crusade at the time) and if they didn't do that god-forsaken (pun intended) ending. The original ending was worse: Satan was an alien, and they had reached Hell.

I've seen this quite a few times and every time I do I wonder - is this really from OUR universe?

NEEEERRRDDS-1.jpg

THAT IS ALL.

Last edited:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Everyone is a nerd on here

Latest posts

Back