Trial of Magneto (Speculation)

Well, I'd say the only writer with enough balls to do something like that is Millar, however, that's just hoping that he'd do it, I'm sure someone else would do it. Maybe Singer's got his sights on Magneto for a while... I think that he may be a good person to reintroduce him.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Someone over at Ultiamte-X reminded everyone that at the end of ROTK, Fury is talking to Xavier and says to him that Magneto is being held until he gets his day in court.

When will this happen? Thoughts?
That's even if he makes it to court. He'd probably get cut loose.

But if he did make it to court. Obviously there will be NO CAMERAS or anything with magnetism within.....maybe about a 300 meter radias? I HIGHLY doubt he'd be given a lawyer. It wouldn't be one of those cases. He'd probably be presented in a court room that's something like in Jet Li's "THE ONE". Just the criminal and the judges around. They'd read all his crimes, and give him his sentence.

icemastertron said:
That's even if he makes it to court. He'd probably get cut loose.

But if he did make it to court. Obviously there will be NO CAMERAS or anything with magnetism within.....maybe about a 300 meter radias? I HIGHLY doubt he'd be given a lawyer. It wouldn't be one of those cases. He'd probably be presented in a court room that's something like in Jet Li's "THE ONE". Just the criminal and the judges around. They'd read all his crimes, and give him his sentence.

This is probably going to be the writer's excuse when it does come up. There is no way to have a fair trial without putting everyone at risk.

TheManWithoutFear said:
This is probably going to be the writer's excuse when it does come up. There is no way to have a fair trial without putting everyone at risk.
Exactly. There's always someone stupid enough to bring some metal on them.

I dunno if you noticed, but in the real world, when a genocidal maniac is held under arrest for his trial, it doesn't happen for a long time and if it does, it generally doesn't have a particularly climactic ending.

Polpot, for example. I know Saddam had his trial in Iraq, but nothing really happened.

To paraphrase Eddie Izzard, an English stand-up comedian: "When you kill a handful of people, you're a murderer and that's really bad. But when you kill thousands of people, we don't know how to deal with it. We just look at them and go, 'er... well done!'"

Granted, Banner was put on trial and had a big dramatic ending, but he was essentially treated as a serial killer (just with a ludicrously high body count to fit the superhero genre) - he had no society or backers, he acted alone.

Magneto is essentially, a head of state. First they have to get the information, and proof to put him on trial, then there's the complexities of the proceedings - he won't be put on trial because the world just doesn't know how to handle a man of that power and influence. The justice system is not equipped to deal with men such as him.

Bass said:
I dunno if you noticed, but in the real world, when a genocidal maniac is held under arrest for his trial, it doesn't happen for a long time and if it does, it generally doesn't have a particularly climactic ending.
Bass said:
Magneto is essentially, a head of state. First they have to get the information, and proof to put him on trial, then there's the complexities of the proceedings - he won't be put on trial because the world just doesn't know how to handle a man of that power and influence. The justice system is not equipped to deal with men such as him.
Ah, but this is the comics. The writers can make something! :wink:

Yeah... I just hope when Magneto comes back, it means half as much as it did the first two times in UXM or in Morrison's New X-Men. :)

icemastertron said:
Exactly. There's always someone stupid enough to bring some metal on them.

...which is why I'd expect a trial similar to Bruce Banner's, where he isn't even allowed out of his holding cell and is presented by video.

I reckon, during the trial, X-51 should show up and tell Magneto the real purpose of mutants, and about the Celestial Egg.

Then, X-51 realises he's metal, and Magneto escapes and rules Earth, and calls it Earth X in honor of Charles Xavier and X-51.

Then, it turns out he's dead, and someone has to wake him up to it so he can become a star and give Excalibur to Wayfinder so King Britain can use it to kill Mephisto so X-51 can tell Magneto the real purpose of mutants...

:crazy:

UltimateE said:
...which is why I'd expect a trial similar to Bruce Banner's, where he isn't even allowed out of his holding cell and is presented by video.
:arrgh:<-That means I can't belive I didn't even think about that.

Bass said:
I reckon, during the trial, X-51 should show up and tell Magneto the real purpose of mutants, and about the Celestial Egg.

Then, X-51 realises he's metal, and Magneto escapes and rules Earth, and calls it Earth X in honor of Charles Xavier and X-51.

Then, it turns out he's dead, and someone has to wake him up to it so he can become a star and give Excalibur to Wayfinder so King Britain can use it to kill Mephisto so X-51 can tell Magneto the real purpose of mutants...

:crazy:

Uh....I'm...ah...just lost at words here...

Since the Hulk trial was done so well, I think it's gonna be a while before they feel they need to top it, and indeed bring Magneto back into play, there are only so many times you can have a wannabe world conqueror escape and threaten the world with everything metal. If he does escape again, he's gotta do something more than just kill a few people and maybe separate the X-Men.
I remember a cartoon in the newspaper some time ago, near 9/11, with a picture of Jerry Adams (head of Sinn Fein and the IRA, responsible for decades of terror attacks on England) carrying a sign saying "BAD" with that crossed out, and "GOOD" replaced (Now peaceful negotiations are underway, at last), and another frame with Yasser Arafat with the same sign, and a third panel with Osama Bin Laden with a sign saying "GIVE IT TIME".

I can see a similar scenario here, giving up blatant terror, to move into more direct political circles.

Also let's not forget the origins of Xavier and Magneto, they were definitely comic book versions of Martin Luther King and Malcom X respectively, one wishing for integration, one wishing for a separate state.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a matter of topping the Hulk trial; I think that it's a matter of when back to bring Magneto to the lime light. Believe it or not, he's a very important character for the X-Men's growth and, although they are doing fine without him right now, he'll need to come back to refresh the title a bit.

Personally I don't think they're going to have a trial for magneto. I think that they are going to talk about it and then he's going to escape. I would like to see the x-men break him out, but that's just me. Possibly involving mystique.

I agree, Xavier is nothing without Magneto. but I do feel that him just coming back to kill lots of people is pretty boring. I think he needs to be more motivated politically. Like Jerry Adams, Like Yasser Arafat (was). One could even say like Nelson Mandela.
Simply invasion of a country is tiresome, we see it on the news every day, an overwhelming force sweeping in and killing everyone. Every country with any power has done it in its past, and to reduce Magento to a 'mere' terrorist again is not exploring this complex character fully.

Latest posts

Back