Trial of Magneto (Speculation)

Guijllons said:
I agree, Xavier is nothing without Magneto. but I do feel that him just coming back to kill lots of people is pretty boring. I think he needs to be more motivated politically. Like Jerry Adams, Like Yasser Arafat (was). One could even say like Nelson Mandela.
Simply invasion of a country is tiresome, we see it on the news every day, an overwhelming force sweeping in and killing everyone. Every country with any power has done it in its past, and to reduce Magento to a 'mere' terrorist again is not exploring this complex character fully.

Hmmm Magneto for President?

I don't think that would be the route he would consider, but certainly a position of political sway, even over non-mutants, with normal homo sapiens reduced in the larger scheme of things.

True power is not pushing someone under a car, it's them walking under it of their own free will.

I think they could do a lot with a Magneto trial, much more than they did with the Hulk trial. There's so many intricate little details within the Judicial system that could be played with. Until then, though, maybe Magneto should write a book (think "Mein Kampf") while he's imprisoned, publish it, get a bigger following with mutants on the outside in society. He could turn into a kind of Karl Marx figure and start a revolution. He could make a bunch of stuff happen and not even be directly responsible for it. I can just see him sitting in his cell, smiling at hearing news about some mutant terror attack. Fury would come in, pissed as hell, to see if he had any ideas who was behind it, make way for some interesting banter/dialogue. You dig?

So here's what I'm thinkin'/hopein'/dreamin' they start teasing us with this trial in like all of the titles. Finally in UXM #100 it comes. They use SHIELD Tech to subdue his mutant powers he's restraint or whatever and he's patiently waiting. Gives the big speeches and all that jazz it's all real dramatic. Then the power goes out on whatever was holding him back they show Mystique is behind all of it and Magneto breaks out once again....

Ok, not my best but throw a few good details in there and I think it'd be cool.

Well, this would all be great but Magneto's been put on such a high pedistal that this would probably happen in a cross-over. I wouldn't want that, but his return will elapse both the Ultimates and the X-Men.

Goodwill said:
Well, this would all be great but Magneto's been put on such a high pedistal that this would probably happen in a cross-over. I wouldn't want that, but his return will elapse both the Ultimates and the X-Men.
I wouldn't be certain a crossover would be necessary. I think Magneto, as big as he is in Ultimate, isn't so much bigger than he has been in 616 which very rarely hadthese crossovers.

I hope you mean affect rather than elapse though because the affect in Ultimates will be pretty minor. The only ones that are really affected are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and they have been a demonstratably minor part of the Ultimates to date.

I meant the team rather than the title. Both SHIELD and the Ultimates would want to handle the situation if Magneto were to escape... I would hope that the X-Men had more of a role, however, I think that would definitely be the case. The trial would be different than the Hulk because the consious person can't escape something they meant to do, you know?

Goodwill said:
The trial would be different than the Hulk because the consious person can't escape something they meant to do, you know?
Agreed. The primary difference is the lack of personality issues like the Hulk. There's no question of Magneto's guilt.

Guijllons said:
the best way to ensure neither of these is for Magneto to get public opinion behind him, and actually get a release. It's possible.
Just not likely. Winning that kind of support after what he's done is difficult, but not impossible. It does depend however on what kind of access he has to the general public and how long the trial gets put off.

Well, maybe the Acolytes are stronger than we actually thought in terms of political power... They could sway the mutant public if a writer gave them that power.

Goodwill said:
Well, maybe the Acolytes are stronger than we actually thought in terms of political power... They could sway the mutant public if a writer gave them that power.
Is there some reason I've missed that you've fixated yourself on the Acolytes here? Cos so far they were a small team who got whooped in New Zealand of all places. Now, its a nice enough country (apart from the Kiwis :wink: ) but its hardly the site for major terrorist action. Is there some reason your so convinced tehy will be involved in any stories ever again?

The Acolytes proved that Magneto had a following (an international one at that) beyond his personal influence... I think, if elaborated on, they could become something that the X-Men will have to worry about.

Goodwill said:
The Acolytes proved that Magneto had a following (an international one at that) beyond his personal influence... I think, if elaborated on, they could become something that the X-Men will have to worry about.
This is incorrect. The Acolytes were a spin-off from the Brotherhood who disagreed with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's non-violent actions. Magneto was in jail when the Acolytes showed up and they were gone before he got out again. Your reading too much into a tiny appearance and basing your theory of incorrect information.

Just to get all this straight
Goodwill said:
You think Magneto has an international following outside his sphere of influence.

Caduceus said:
This is incorrect. The Acolytes were a spin-off from the Brotherhood who disagreed with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's non-violent actions. Magneto was in jail when the Acolytes showed up and they were gone before he got out again. Your reading too much into a tiny appearance and basing your theory of incorrect information.

I point out that the Brotherhood is the souce of the Acolytes and they are quite clearly in the sphere of Magneto's influence.

Goodwill said:
Well, that's the same thing. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were against their father and the Acolytes were with.

I have no idea how this is relevant. The Acolytes were loyal to Magneto's original philosophy, which they absorbed during their time with the Brotherhood and when Quicksilver and SW changed the Brotherhood, they left and formed the Acolytes. Maintaining themselves as closely as possible to how they were under Magneto's sphere of influence.

Cad is right except that Magneto was believed dead by the world when the Acolytes attacked Auckland. And what are you doing saying everything is okay in NZ except for the Kiwis...

:lol:

ProjectX2 said:
Cad is right except that Magneto was believed dead by the world when the Acolytes attacked Auckland. And what are you doing saying everything is okay in NZ except for the Kiwis...

:lol:
I'm an Australian dude. We know. Oh boy do we know.

You're an Australian dude somewhere in Europe. You don't know much anymore...

8)

Latest posts

Back