UFF and continuity?

You'd be right... Also, Charles Manson didn't like to be referred to as Chuck or Chazz or any other form of Charles because he saw it as insulting... Maybe Doom doesn't want his followers to say Van Damme because he feels that it's an insult to his individual, new, metal-self. Just an idea.

I thought his father said the name took various forms due to marriages, etc....

That was the case for the Van Dammes, though other branches of the family changed the name on purpose is what we get from Victor's father.

As to the FF reference in Ultimate's #2, Stark mentions them as possible candidates for Fury's team and Nick responds by saying they would be a PR problem.

The way I see it:
in order to keep the original idea of continuity, they'd have to make the FF two years older then they are now, since ca. 1 year has passed in the ultimate universe so far, and they were suppossedly created 1 year before spiderman. That would mean we'd get a HUGE gap in their personal story. We'd get something like "two years have passed, and we still don't know how Ben could get altered the way he is" or stuff like that. That doenn't make sence for me. Therefore, I'd actually like to assume the "Nevada today" is to be taken literally, that the FF have been formed right around the time Peter was busy with Black Cat, Doc Ock or Carnage, right around the time the X-Men were busy solving a conspiracy in Washington D.C., right around the time the Ultimates sat around, complaining about yet another lack of important missions.
All prior mentionings of the FF (as in Ultimates#2) would have to be ignored, and they wouldn't even EXIST except for the thrice damned Team-Ups.

Anything I'm fed through the issues, I believe. The Ultimates Vol. 1 has yet to finds its place in continuity, so that's what we should really be arguing about... The Ultimates and Fury have showed up in all sorts of titles, probably more so than they have in their own title. Eff FF, guys, the Ulttimates is the problem I see.

Goodwill said:
Anything I'm fed through the issues, I believe. The Ultimates Vol. 1 has yet to finds its place in continuity, so that's what we should really be arguing about... The Ultimates and Fury have showed up in all sorts of titles, probably more so than they have in their own title. Eff FF, guys, the Ulttimates is the problem I see.

Ultimates fits in continuity fine. Stark was in space in either issue 3 or 4 (i forget), which was referenced in UXM issue 18. Which gives you a rough idea of when everything takes place. Iron Man's appearance in USM #28 and many of Fury's random appearances occur sometime during the "Super-Human" storyarc. Many months transpired during that story arc, so it's perfectly reasonable that Fury or Stark or Widow could pay a visit to Spidey or the X-Men while on the job. The "National Security" story covers a much smaller period of time. I believe issues 10-13 occur during a period of about a day. Everything else (Ultimate War, Ultimate Six, Ultimate Nightmare, and subsequent appearances that occure during and around these events) occure in between Vol. 1 and Vol. 2.

It's really quite simple.

Well, then I don't have any problems with the continuity... I will, however, if the Freezone turns out to be Latveria. That would mess up a number of things. Also, let's see Golog in UFF to see what he does there, not in Ultimate Team- Up.

I think I've just about given up on the chronology of the Ultimate universe. Maybe when I collect every single issue I'll be able to throw my opinion in the ring. But for now I'm in it for the reading.

Yeah, I think that was the point in the first place. Just enjoy it like I am. The Ultimate line doesn't have 40 years of history backing it so it is a wonderful book to enjoy.

I think the UFF stories so far take place before USM #1, and here's the reasons:

1.) Doom is mentioned several times later on (in UMTU and USM I believe). In UMTU #14 he's already in control of Latveria (as is evidenced by Mr. Golog working for him as an ambassador). Taking control of an entire nation, however big or small, tends to take time, so it only makes sense for the UFF issues released thus far to take place before USM #1.

2.) The Fantastic Four are mentioned several times in other books, most notably in the Ultimates and USM. I think the best thing to do in terms of the Ultimates comment in UFF #5 is to ignore it.

Well, it think it is all because the title ended up being so late... If it were set out with the other books, we wouldn't have this problem, write?

I changed (updated) my view on this recently. The way I see it, The current FF-Timeline is on time with the current Ultimates. X-Men and Spidey arcs. The uncounted instants, in which the FF have been mentioned before are to be ignored just like Spidey once muttered, that "Captain America never had to go through the same crap he has to" a few issues before the Ultimates are founded and Cap is actually rescued from the atlantic ozean.
The reason they would do that: if the FF are still stuck in the past, they'd have to face one of two possibilities:
1. The FF can't do anything without messin with the past (of the other titles)
2. They'd have to make a huge time-jump. thereby aging the characters within a few issues for more than two years, which readers won't accept.

I'd also like to remember, that Millar and Bendis created the whole continuty-mess. I don't think Ellis will want to have to fix that as well.

Actually that Captain America comment doesn't have to be preoblematic. DO we know for sure that that issue takes place before the Ultiamtes were founded? And even if that were so, Captain America was a superhero from teh 40's, and Peter's enough of a geek to know that.

And even if that were so, Captain America was a superhero from teh 40's, and Peter's enough of a geek to know that

Right. Cap ended the war single-handedly, and that is public knowledge. I can buy that Peter could say that based on what he knew about him.

the Ultimate line is as messed up as 616 is

I have to very, very strongly disagree with you there. There's a few minor hiccups but the revisions and continuity glitches in 616 faaaaar outweight the Ultiamte ones. Especially in X-Men. But I digress, this is about UFF.

Latest posts

Back