UFF easier to write than UXM or Ultimates?

Dark_Images

Would you say UFF is an easier team book to write compared to UXM and Ultimates because you only have four characters to worry about when it comes to dialogue and character progression?

I would say, yes, because they are a closely nit family. You have X-Men characters, now more than ever, seperating into cliques, and with the Ultimates, you get that, they are adults with their own dream feel, so, you get the idea... You've got a family with the FF and one that actually works, so, yes, it is easier.

I would think Ultimates would be harder because of the team dynamics, but X-Men has so many different characters that there are many many story possibilities as long as the writer is able to write to the characters' personalities. Ultimate FF has that to a lesser extent, but there's only 4 people.

But you can't have just any writer on these books. The Ultimate line is a chance for a clean slate and why start cluttering it up again by signing talent that wouldn't understand the relationship Johnny and Reed share, or the grumpiness of Thing when they get into trouble. The same goes for all these team books, but obviously they might be more difficult to write because of the growing list of cast members in these books, as opposed to the Fantistic Four, who don't plan on changing the name to Five or Fifteen for that matter. Plus, there's plenty of potential roads our mutants and gov't super-agents could travel, but what do you do with a family who's intentions were to help mankind, but have turned into property of the U.S. Army who really can't go looking for a fight, and who don't exactly have a laundry list of famous villains from the 616 for them to battle, considering 616 FF was more cosmic while this is a story of young people dealing with global events.

Exactly why there is no Bendis on Ultimate X-Men and tons of writers were turned away from the Ultimate line because they couldn't think ultimate enough. It's the way it goes.

And now I will dredge up an old thread..I always felt fantastic four was easier because it was always a What If scenario and most of the villains came from space BUT in an ultimate universe this doesn't fit in and I think looking at the run apart from the very excellent first volume anyone se got it right. Doom was massively underused

And now I will dredge up an old thread..I always felt fantastic four was easier because it was always a What If scenario and most of the villains came from space BUT in an ultimate universe this doesn't fit in and I think looking at the run apart from the very excellent first volume anyone se got it right. Doom was massively underused

I did love me those goat legs, though.

I would think Ultimates would be the most difficult to write because the bar was set pretty high to begin with. But since Ultimates 2 that bar has been significantly lowered.

UFF I could see either way. On one hand it can be such an imaginative book and it has the least number of boundaries as just about any book. But on the other hand you've got to have a great imagination to take advantage of that.

UXM...who cares. It sucks and pretty much always has.

Latest posts

Back