UFF Millar and Beyond: Should I Come Back?

ourchair

As some of the senior members of the site may remember before I went on hiatus, I used to post a whole lot on UFF and FF discussion. I'd write about FF left and right; Compound and I would invent wacky treatments left and right (pre-Ultimization Game) such that the Baseless Speculation section was borne. Hell, I still obsessed about story ideas even during hiatus.

Anyway, some of you might remember that I was so disgusted with the end of 'Tomb of Namor'. It was at that point, I decided to drop Ultimate Fantastic Four. At 150 Philippine pesos a month, that's half a days worth of spending money on a book I was beginning to feel l was being purchased out of habit. That is the first time in my life I had ever experienced the worry that I may have been buying a comic as a routine, not a pleasure.

Now the question I have to ask --- particularly from the members who know me from before my post-February hiatus this year --- is Ultimate Fantastic Four worth getting back into NOW, especially for someone who may have hated the first half of Millar's run?

I haven't been following spoilers either, and I haven't paid too much attention to any online buzz about Carey's work. I don't want to know if it's 'alright' or 'good' --- certainly those are things to consider --- but has anything changed about the writing to get me back in?

Well, the art is wonderful, and the coloring is great.

I only read in trades, but what I can gather from the story, its completely sci-fi now instead of the strange stuff Millar was doing.

Basically, the UFF kep taking on somone stronger the last.

I'm sure other people can do this better justice than me.

Then there's E, who hates it.

As some of the senior members of the site may remember before I went on hiatus, I used to post a whole lot on UFF and FF discussion. I'd write about FF left and right; Compound and I would invent wacky treatments left and right (pre-Ultimization Game) such that the Baseless Speculation section was borne. Hell, I still obsessed about story ideas even during hiatus.

Anyway, some of you might remember that I was so disgusted with the end of 'Tomb of Namor'. It was at that point, I decided to drop Ultimate Fantastic Four. At 150 Philippine pesos a month, that's half a days worth of spending money on a book I was beginning to feel l was being purchased out of habit. That is the first time in my life I had ever experienced the worry that I may have been buying a comic as a routine, not a pleasure.

Now the question I have to ask --- particularly from the members who know me from before my post-February hiatus this year --- is Ultimate Fantastic Four worth getting back into NOW, especially for someone who may have hated the first half of Millar's run?

I haven't been following spoilers either, and I haven't paid too much attention to any online buzz about Carey's work. I don't want to know if it's 'alright' or 'good' --- certainly those are things to consider --- but has anything changed about the writing to get me back in?

The current arc is boring as hell, which is almost unbelievable considering they've shoehorned 500 new characters that are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. Extremely disappointing.

I would say that if you liked Ellis on the N-Zone arc, then this is a good read. It's heavy science fiction and a little more complex of a story than Millar's run was. I think that Millar was going for a straight arrow story that was a lot of fun and "fantastic" where as Carey is going for the science fiction epic feel that is also "fantastic".

The art is really nice although hard to follow sometimes and I have found that one does have to actually read the dialog rather than simply look at the pictures (USM is something you could actually skip the dialog sometimes and still know what's going on...)

Personally, I thought Millar's run was choppy and a little scattered which detracted from my overall enjoyment not to mention I'm also not a fan of Greg Land. I've been enjoying Mike Carey's work here much more.

Peace.

Get compound to download it.

I think its excellent. If you liked Ellis, you'll probably like Carey's run.

I don't get why people say that.

(
buddy%20christ%20from%20dogma.jpg
=
w200
)=/=(
pic09_carey.jpg
=
turkey.jpg
)
Simple as that.

[(=/=) = NOT EQUAL]

Last edited:
Did you just call E a turkey?

Cause personally I would have gone with Honkey.:wink:

Text version:
[Buddy Christ=Warren Ellis (flicking you off to add bad-*** appeal)]=/=(Mike Carey=Turkey)

Last edited:
I don't get why you don't like it, so I can't answer your question.

My not liking it has nothing to do with the question. I just don't get why people think this story has any similarity whatsoever to anything Ellis did.

Ellis wrote sci-fi. Carey's writing fantasy.

My not liking it has nothing to do with the question. I just don't get why people think this story has any similarity whatsoever to anything Ellis did.

Ellis wrote sci-fi. Carey's writing fantasy.

Millar wrote fantasy

Carey is writing Sci fi

Space stuff is sci-fi

I don't get why people say that.
Interesting thread of discussion to go by. Please explain.

I don't need to hear 'it's great' or 'it sucks' so much as I need to know why. All these vague categorizations of whether it's sci-fi or not, fantasy or not, epic or not or whatever just don't seem to satisfy me. (No offense to the others who posted)

Well, it's nothing like Ellis's run either, I think it's completely different from Ellis' run.

I don't understand why people say it is like Eliis'

Interesting thread of discussion to go by. Please explain.

I don't need to hear 'it's great' or 'it sucks' so much as I need to know why. All these vague categorizations of whether it's sci-fi or not, fantasy or not, epic or not or whatever just don't seem to satisfy me. (No offense to the others who posted)

I explained it perfectly. Mike Carey=Turkey.

Millar wrote fantasy

Carey is writing Sci fi

Space stuff is sci-fi

Agreed. But not only that, it expands on the stacking universe concept Ellis came up with. Ellis wrote about a dying universe (The N-Zone) and the creatures who inhabited it. Carey, on the other hand, is writing about a younger universe where the beings are mostly super-powered.

I'm not sure why E considers it fantasy. :?

Latest posts

Back