UIM vs. UTMU #4-5

Yes, and you continued to take this thread off-topic. A mod should split the DD bits off into the DD thread.

Actually I just answered an outstanding question but I'll fix it......

As I've stated before,UIM is a far superior work than the Team-Up issues.
Iron Man has been a mainstay Marvel character for decades,and giving his origin in two issues just ain't kosher.Team-Up was an experiment to further explore the world USM was based in when that universe was in its infancy,to expand the scope of Marvels newest project and flesh it out.This was well before the UU became the sales behemoth it is now.Team-Up has frequently been considered non-canon,which goes back to the series being experimental in the first place.

Hulk issues?Fine,they count.
Wolverine?Why not,fits in.
DD/Punisher?OK
Shang-Chi?Not a problem(yet?)
Widow?Been a while since I read it but the issue seemed to fit in at the time.

The FF issue was absolute balls,and ranks among some of the worst comics I've ever read.Yet people ***** and moan about it not fitting in with two tales that are,quite frankly,far superior to it.Quality vs Continuity again.I'm for quality,all the way.Especially when the FF story was that bad.

Now IMTU's issues weren't as bad,but they were dodgy all right.We've got a great writer,a great artist,and ten issues to flesh out the character right up to the end of Ultimate#1.I don't see the problem.

Anyone who does clearly isn't on the Quality side of the debate.

Well, all we know is that these problems can easily be cleaned up. If not, it's not like it's a huge deal, you know?

Victor Von Doom said:
Curse you Proj and you're UIM Foot-In-Mouth fascination!!!!

Proj the Zombie Mod strikes again...

That is funny though. Any optimistic, positive early post about UIM is. :lol:

Good thing I wasn't around for the beginning and specualtion on how UIM was.

The last thing I want is for Proj to come back and say "Remember when you said this?" :lol:

I have a mixed response to the UIM vs. UMTU discussion.

On the one hand, if an author is going to write for an existing series, I think s/he needs to read what's been done previously; if s/he isn't going to follow established continuity, there needs to be an explanation for it. If UIM doesn't fit continuity, both Card and the Marvel editorial staff should take responsibility, since it's the editors' job to not only check punctuation and spelling, but also larger issues like character development and continuity. (Of course, we haven't seen Part II of UIM, so continuity issues could still be resolved.)

On the other hand, the impression I got from UMTU is that no one actually sat down and thought about the implications of ultimizing various regular Marvel characters; they just chose a bunch of folks to introduce because "it would be cool for Spider-Man to meet [insert character name here]". In the early issues in particular, characters like Tony Stark, the Fantastic Four, and Bruce Banner/Hulk seemed to have been lifted straight out of regular Marvel and transplanted into the UU with virtually no changes in either looks or background. Then, of course, later writers came along and really developed these characters as separate Ultimate entities. (Have we gotten an explanation for Banner's ability to turn into the Hulk in the UU yet? Before he shows up in The Ultimates, I mean. When we see him in UMTU, he's already able to transform, and there's only a bare mention of any background on it. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a copy of that story right now.)

As an author, I'd hate to have to use UMTU as rock-solid continuity if the stories were just written for the purpose of giving Spider-Man new characters to interact with. I agree with Patriot Mk2 that the UFF issue was especially unappealing, although I believe it's been publicly stated that that issue is not considered part of the UU continuity.

notTHATtodd said:
[T]he only thing I'm overly curious about is why Tony is no longer blue. Everything else doesn't matter, insofar as I'm concerned.
As Tony gets older, his father's researchers continue to develop the bioarmor bacteria until they finally get a batch that either becomes transparent or takes on the wearer's actual skintone (I can't remember which off-hand, and I don't have the issues in front of me at the moment). Card does explain it at some point in the story.

Seldes Katne said:
I have a mixed response to the UIM vs. UMTU discussion.

On the one hand, if an author is going to write for an existing series, I think s/he needs to read what's been done previously; if s/he isn't going to follow established continuity, there needs to be an explanation for it. If UIM doesn't fit continuity, both Card and the Marvel editorial staff should take responsibility, since it's the editors' job to not only check punctuation and spelling, but also larger issues like character development and continuity. (Of course, we haven't seen Part II of UIM, so continuity issues could still be resolved.)

Agreed.

On the other hand, the impression I got from UMTU is that no one actually sat down and thought about the implications of ultimizing various regular Marvel characters; they just chose a bunch of folks to introduce because "it would be cool for Spider-Man to meet [insert character name here]". In the early issues in particular, characters like Tony Stark, the Fantastic Four, and Bruce Banner/Hulk seemed to have been lifted straight out of regular Marvel and transplanted into the UU with virtually no changes in either looks or background. Then, of course, later writers came along and really developed these characters as separate Ultimate entities.

Also agree.

(Have we gotten an explanation for Banner's ability to turn into the Hulk in the UU yet? Before he shows up in The Ultimates, I mean. When we see him in UMTU, he's already able to transform, and there's only a bare mention of any background on it. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a copy of that story right now.)

Not as of yet. I'm hoping we might get a bit more background on Banner's transformation into the Hulk in the current Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk mini by Lindelof. It seems to be the perfect opportunity to shed a bit more light on the Hulk's origin. After all, I doubt the next four issues will consist only of the big fight.

As an author, I'd hate to have to use UMTU as rock-solid continuity if the stories were just written for the purpose of giving Spider-Man new characters to interact with. I agree with Patriot Mk2 that the UFF issue was especially unappealing, although I believe it's been publicly stated that that issue is not considered part of the UU continuity.

Right. Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #9 (the Spidey/FF crossover "comedy" issue) is not in continuity.

As Tony gets older, his father's researchers continue to develop the bioarmor bacteria until they finally get a batch that either becomes transparent or takes on the wearer's actual skintone (I can't remember which off-hand, and I don't have the issues in front of me at the moment). Card does explain it at some point in the story.

True.

I agree with everything Seldes just said.

Wasn't Ultimate Hulk a product of Banner's attempt on developing super soldiers? Of course, it still doesn't explain why he chose himself as a test subject, and it would be great if UWvs.H would shed light on this.

Anyway, back to topic. I'm always curious if any of the other writers will touch on Tony's special abilities.

Latest posts

Back