Ult. Omega Red & Maverick idea

compound

Ultimate X-Men: "Omega" arc, part 1: "Dying Of Boredom"

Colossus' older brother Mikhail (a baseline human, in Ultimate continuity) is arrested in a Moscow nightclub for dealing "Omega", a new party drug that induces a temporary genetic shift, granting users mutant powers, along with a euphoric rush, characterized by eyes that glow a deep 'Omega red'. Several deaths have allegedly been linked to Omega, among the capital's affluent elite club kids, but it now appears to be spreading into lower-class areas too.

Following Mikhail's arrest, the Russian government and local media networks begin to sensationalize the "Omega menace" -- a PR disaster in the making, for those who naturally possess the X-gene. A small number of natural mutants have already been illegally detained as suspected Omega users.

With both a personal and political stake in the matter, Professor Xavier tasks the 'senior' X-Men -- Cyclops, Phoenix, Colossus, and Storm -- to find the source of the Omega supply.

Colossus begins with an illegal visit to his brother's detention cell (aided by some psychic trickery on Jean's part). A dejected Mikhail tells him that he just wanted the same kind of exciting life that Peter was leading in America, reminding his brother of his own less-than-honorable stint in the Russian mafia. All Mikhail ever dreamed about was to visit the stars as a cosomonaut for the national space program -- unfortunately, he came of age in the post-Soviet era, when the space race (justifiably) took a backseat to restoring Russia's faltering economy. Using Omega was the closest way to simulate the journey to other worlds. Colossus presses him for contacts; Mikhail tells him to find a guy named Kristoff Nord -- an East German who serves as the middle-man between street-level dealers, and the Omega manufacturer. Nord operates from the Barracks, a disused Soviet-era army bunker, which has been transformed into a massive dance-party venue.

With that info, the X-Men discretely follow the enigmatic Nord, through a mix of on-the-ground snooping, and remote surveillance. Almost too easily, he leads them to the source of the Omega supply. From the outside, it appears to be a non-descript factory on the outskirts of the city, the kind of drab industrial workspace that characterized the Communist period.

But once inside, the group finds something else altogether -- a Bacchanalian pleasure complex, with rooms full of junkies in an Omega-induced reverie. Before they can explore the facility, Jean is rendered immobile by a barrage of drug-addled thoughts invading her mind.

As the team rush to help the weakened Jean, they are surrounded by a phalanx of amped-up security forces, led by Nord.

Last edited:
Ultimate X-Men: "Omega" arc, part 2: "My Chemical Romance"

Maverick leads the group to the biological source of Omega: rogue chemist Arkady Rossovich. He welcomes the X-Men as his "guests", explaining his back-story to them. During the Cold War, the Soviet government instructed him to use his own mutant genes to synthesize a kind of pain-killer which could simultaneously be used to enhance military field combat. However, since the rise of the market economy, he found that his little discovery proved to have more lucrative recreational purposes, due to the growing number of youths with new-found disposable income, and no 'healthy' outlets for practicing their freedoms.

A self-made millionaire, he achieved the so-called "American Dream", without ever having to leave Mother Russia! But that was not enough to satisfy his lust for pleasure, so he transformed an old warehouse into his base of operations, with the intent of combining the opulent hedonism of the old Tsars, with the market-driven mutant-philia of the glorious posthuman future -- a kind of post-Marxist "cultural evolution" from labor to leisure.

He offers the X-Men a stake in this drug-fuelled utopia, if they would contribute their own body chemistry to the Omega gene-pool. Cyclops is characteristically indignant. He arrogantly refuses Arkady's proposal. The patient madman instructs the X-Men to be brought to a secure "visitors' quarters".

Later that night, Nord sneaks into Colossus' cell, inexplicably drawn to this handsome stranger. He tells Peter about his life, so far: he was part of "yet another failed super-soldier program", this one a creation of the old East German communist state, "one more genetic leftover of the Cold War". Shortly after the Berlin Wall fell, he was scheduled to be forcibly "decommissioned", but instead he escaped and turned maverick, "just a dime-a-dozen soldier with altered DNA". Filled with existential angst, he made his way to Moscow, after hearing rumors about Arkady's project. Working as Rossovich's stooge pays well, and "keeps him busy", although he maintains no personal loyalty to his employer. He remains morally indifferent to the lives he's ruining -- "it's their choice, anyway. It's a free country." Peter is moved by Nord's hard-luck tale, and they *appear* to spend an intimate night together.

Meanwhile, in Jean's cell, she has begun to do yoga, ostensibly to keep out the stray thoughts of the junkies around her. But her mental clarity allows her to make crucial contact with the Professor. Incredulously, he instructs her to remain in Rossovich's custody -- just bide time, until the Russian authorities can file the necessary bureaucratic paper-work required to launch a full-scale assualt on the compound.

Elsewhere, in an 'undisclosed location', Russian army black-ops leader Yelena Belova awaits clearance for use of the Beta version of her new Crimson Dynamo armor!

Ultimate X-Men: "Omega" arc, part 3: "I Am Kurious Red"

Between issues, the Russian government has stormed Rossovich's base, with the help of Crimson Dynamo. Amidst the chaos, the X-Men's 'junior class' -- Shadowcat, Iceman, Dazzler, Angel, and Nightcrawler -- use a cloaked X-jet to infiltrate the base, to rescue their captured team-mates (who were never offically considered to be inside the facility, to begin with). During their escape, Angel and Colossus encounter Nord, who is attempting to flee the scene. Colossus convinces Angel to let Nord go unharmed -- "He will redeem himself. I know it."

At different points in Moscow, orchestrated crackdowns strategically cut off the Omega supply on the streets, with the help of files seized during the raid.

Several weeks later, a man who suspiciously resembles a clean-shaven Nord welcomes a crew of construction workers and youth volunteers (including Peter, Scott, Jean, and Ororo) to the site of Rossovich's former headquaters. With funding from Arkady's seized assets, it will be turned into The Haven, a regional community center, where Russian youth can make use of low-cost artists' studios, rehearsal spaces, Internet access, cheap room and board, etc. -- a kind of legitimized version of the bohemian squatter colonies of Paris.

In a sinister twist, it is revealed that Professor Xavier induced Nord's change of heart, at Colossus' request. Peter reintroduces himself to Nord, and tells him that he is "really inspired" by what he's doing. A flattered Nord seems to have no memory of thier little tryst.

In a coda to the story, the Russian Prime Minister is being given a tour of the maximum-security prison where Arkady Rossovich is being held. When they reach his cell, they find it empty, apart from several heavily-drugged guards, foaming at the mouth...

I forgot all about these guys. Ultimate Omega Red, Ultimate Maverick, Ultimate Deadpool. Ah, those were the days. :nostalgia:

Bass said:
I forgot all about these guys. Ultimate Omega Red, Ultimate Maverick, Ultimate Deadpool. Ah, those were the days. :nostalgia:
I have no shame in admitting that I was impressed with all these self-consciously 'Kewl' characters from the early 90s... Why should I be? I was 12 or 13, in the immediate pre-Image era. That kind of big-guns, cyborg super-soldier fluff appealed to the basest interests of a young adolecent boy, and I bought into it, hook, line, and sinker (not to mention polybagged variant die-cut cover).

Having said that, I obviously recognize the blatant ridiculousness of most of these characters. That doesn't mean they can't be made into credible Ultimizations, within the ground-rules established by the more 'realistic' continuity, while still remaining true to their basic premise. It's just a matter of reinterpreting the goofier elements -- like Rossovich's "death spores", into a more acceptable form, i.e. a lethal party drug.

I actually have a couple more, where these came from, including an Ultimate Xtinction Agenda. No, really. ;)

Now that I've read it, WOW! That is some cool storyline. Looking forward to the next part.

:shock:

It feels like I've typed this before.

DEJA VU!

This is a fantastic idea. I particularly love the way you set Maverick up, the darker element of Xavier (he wiped someone's mind without their permission. Asked or not). It was interesting that you chose to pair up Maverick and Colossus and sexually rather than the traditional Wolverine/Maverick friendship-assosciation thing. But then, Colossus will have to find somebody SOMETIME. Seriously.

I also liked the drug references. Mikhail's envy was an interesting thing but it might work better if he was made the younger sibling rather than the older. Its a lot harder for an older sibling to be envious and how much does Colossus tell his family anyway? I know they were flown over in a SHIELD helicopter to his school but really..

Caduceus said:
It was interesting that you chose to pair up Maverick and Colossus and sexually rather than the traditional Wolverine/Maverick friendship-assosciation thing. But then, Colossus will have to find somebody SOMETIME. Seriously.
Yeah, it's about time that Colossus actually gets some. I know repressive angst is like THE most popular way of playing up almost any character's homosexuality (in and out of comics), but realistically a strapping teen Russian of his proportions (and the ability to turn his body into finely chiseled organic steel :wink:) should be scoring more times than zero.

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that Peter would request that Xavier change Nord's mind with little visible remorse, unless that's something compound just neglected to mention.

Caduceus said:
Mikhail's envy was an interesting thing but it might work better if he was made the younger sibling rather than the older. Its a lot harder for an older sibling to be envious and how much does Colossus tell his family anyway?
Point well taken. It did occur to me that it would read more credibly if Mikhail was the junior sibling, but I felt a bit constrained by a need to be *somewhat* faithful to the source material. If it's any consolation, think of it this way -- the eldest of the rural brood selflessly opts to tend to family matters back home, while a more youthful, able-bodied sibling goes off to earn his keep abroad.

ourchair said:
I find it hard to believe that Peter would request that Xavier change Nord's mind with little visible remorse, unless that's something compound just neglected to mention.
In all sincerity, I am totally blessed to have 'peer editors' like you, keeping my ideas in check. Guilty as charged -- this is yet another case of my fingers moving quicker than my brain, in my eagerness to share half-formed ideas with the rest of the world.

Reading it again, it *does* seem horribly uncharacteristic, and largely under-motivated. But no credible explanation immedaitely comes to mind. Any suggestions?

I probably ought to let this one stew for a bit, huh? :p

I'll post a 'correction', once i've thought of a good way to remedy it.

compound said:
Point well taken. It did occur to me that it would read more credibly if Mikhail was the junior sibling, but I felt a bit constrained by a need to be *somewhat* faithful to the source material. If it's any consolation, think of it this way -- the eldest of the rural brood selflessly opts to tend to family matters back home, while a more youthful, able-bodied sibling goes off to earn his keep abroad.

That would probably work. Of course, how self-constrained eldest got into the life as a dealer in Moscow is another story. Although rearranging the sibling order probably isn't too far out. Its the creating extra siblings that can trip you up.

compound said:
In all sincerity, I am totally blessed to have 'peer editors' like you, keeping my ideas in check. Guilty as charged -- this is yet another case of my fingers moving quicker than my brain, in my eagerness to share half-formed ideas with the rest of the world.
Reading it again, it *does* seem horribly uncharacteristic, and largely under-motivated. But no credible explanation immedaitely comes to mind. Any suggestions?
I probably ought to let this one stew for a bit, huh? :p
I'll post a 'correction', once i've thought of a good way to remedy it.
Hey, don't worry about it. These threads you make are some of my favourite parts of the site so keep doing it. Its always entertaining to read through such fleshed out ideas rather than the vague speculation we normally keep too.

But a solution? In the chat Nord and Colossus have, before the tryst, you'd have Nord express a lack of morals, (not immorality, recognition that what he is doing is "wrong" but just not caring.") Colossus has gotten more into Xavier's dream since World Tour and he's placing more and more faith in Xavier and the side of the good. So he goes to Xavier with this problem, serious feelings for this guy and asks if there was no way Xavier could help him to regain his morals. After all, he's helping Wolverine who was a victim of a similar program to Nord but Nord needs a different kind of help.

Maybe I'm rambling but I think it could work.

I don't think there would be a problem with changing the sibling's relative ages, since Alex is older than Scott in the UU.

also, this is really cool. :D

compound said:
Elsewhere, in an 'undisclosed location', Russian army black-ops leader Yelena Belova awaits clearance for use of the Beta version of her new Crimson Dynamo armor!

Whoa! Kindly permit me to blow my own horn for just a second -- when I first came up with the idea of casting Ult. Yelena Belova as the UU's version of Crimson Dynamo, I had not yet known about Ult. Black Widow/Natasha being given her War Machine-like stealth armor.

Now my concept feels appropriately prescient. Go me! :rockon: *shameless fanboy pride*

compound said:
Whoa! Kindly permit me to blow my own horn for just a second -- when I first came up with the idea of casting Ult. Yelena Belova as the UU's version of Crimson Dynamo, I had not yet known about Ult. Black Widow/Natasha being given her War Machine-like stealth armor.

Now my concept feels appropriately prescient. Go me! :rockon: *shameless fanboy pride*
I told you man, we're freaking prophets. Now let's go out and proclaim that fact shamelessly and self-importantly to the world.

*sigh*

It's a shame that Bendis' treatment of Ultimate Omega Red has pretty much ruled out any possibility of a different writer penning a story similar to mine.

I wonder if this plot would actually work with any other existing X-men villains who haven't been Ultimized yet...

Amazing. Waiting for the rest of the story (impatiently)
Keep up the good work Compound.
Um, i'm afraid this is no "res tof the story". The arc was resolved, as far as the X-Men's involvement is concerned.

There was a resolution to the immediate storyline (Arkady's drug empire was destroyed). Maverick was given the closure he deserved (and frankly, I'm not sure whether his character would have been interesting enough to merit more than a single arc, anyway). And I just threw in the epilogue with Omega Red's escape as a way for other writers to use the character, rather than having to explain why he was no longer in Russian custody. It's a closed book, as far as I can see. Sorry if that disappoints you! :?

The Tinkerer was really inspired by Doc Ock after seeing him on TV fighting spidey.So he creates a new set of arms.But this time there are only 2 arms.And they are only used for fighting.Not for energy stealing and stuff.

An ex-military guy named XXX starts working as a mercanary.Kingpin hires him to take down spider-man.After a few attempts (i will write this part later , this is just an idea) , Kingpin and XXX decides that normal weapons wont do any good even with military training , so kingpin asks help from The Tinkerer (you can replace the "Silver Sable" arc with this one).Tinkerer sells them the arms , and tells them even a scientist nearly took down spidey with this technology.

XXX attacks somewhere(to be written later if i can, or if anyone can) to catch spidey's attention , but he also gets Shield's attention.Spidey fights omega red* gets nearly beaten up as usual.Shield dudes come and take XXX down.Then they start searching for who created the arms and they catch the Tinkerer

The Omega Red name , might come from military.XXX can be a part of a team "Omega" and he gets the "Red" for his awful behaviour and stuff.Then he gets kicked from military because of the same behaviours , and becomes "omega red".

any part u guys wanna change?

Latest posts

Back