Ult. She-Hulk idea ("teen-oriented")

compound

My proposal for an Ultimate She-Hulk mini-series, in keeping with Marvel's current push for more "teen-oriented" books:

Ultimate She-Hulk: "Mean, Green, and Seventeen"

Welcome to posh Simonson High, a private school in Byrne County, Southern California, where the campus social heirarchy is dominated by a clique of sentior girls known as The Sensationals.

Their leader is Jen Walters, a champion debater with her eyes on law school, whose keen fashion sense and girl-next-door looks belie a wicked intelligence, and guiltless capacity for manipulating others. Her popularity "inspires" numerous copy-cats among the school's female population.

At Jen's side is Louisa 'Weezy' Mason, VIP of the girls basketball team. Her stealth on the court has earned her the monicker, "The Blonde Phantom". Because of her insecurity about her looks, she exists in a mutually parasitic friendship with Jen: Weezy hopes for beauty-by-association, Jen wants a leuitenant who will never steal attention from her.

Then there's Mallory Book, daughter of Byrne County's Mayor. She got a nose-job for her 16th birthday, and wears Manolo Blahniks to homeroom class -- but finds that everybody's still more interested in Jen, Jen, Jen. Mallory hopes to change that, eventually...

And finally, Marsha Rosenberg: "people-smart", genuinely friendly, open-minded. A good judge of character -- most of the time. She joined the Sensationals, after "blossoming" in sophomore year. She likes their camaraderie on an *individual* level, but she keeps quiet about her reservations about their cruel group behavior. But for how much longer?

At the bottom of the high-school feeding order is Mary 'Skeeter' MacPherran: academic scholar and Shakespeare lover (her fave character, naturally, is Titania, vengeful Queen of Faerie). She is desperate to cut ties with her 'white trash' family. She and Marsha were best friends until eigth grade.

Currently, the entire Byrne County is abuzz with scandal. There's a maximum security penitentiary just outside of Slott, where pharmaceutical manufacturer Brand Med is allegedly conducting involuntary vaccine experiments on inmates serving life sentences, with the tacit approval of chief warden, Morris Walters (who is Jen's dad). Blurry leaked photographs suggest that one convict has already reacted negatively to a prototype hormone treatment, becoming some kind of uncontrollable "abomination".

During the regional inter-school debate championships, Jen successfully argues that criminals serving life sentences can help pay their debt to society, during the remainder of their lifetime, by participating in the controversial experiments. (When Marsha asks jen if she really meant that, her reply is "Like I would care about a bunch of stupid criminals -- I just needed one more award to beef up my transcript.")

One fateful evening, while joyriding outsude city limits in Jen's SUV, the Sensationals decide to give Skeeter a good scare, by trailing her pick-up truck, as she drives home alone. A high-speed chase begins, and the girls crash into a Brand Med van transporting plasma samples from the infected prisoner. Jen, Marsha, and Skeeter incur bloody flesh wounds in the accident.

Jen awakens the following day with green skin, extra muscle mass, and heightened strength and reflexes. Much to the suprise of her family and loved ones (not to mention therapists and conselors), Jen is not traumatized by her new-found "uniqueness" -- in fact, she loves it!

Brand Med CEO Malachai Donalbain hails Jen's case as an "unexpected miracle", and she returns to school, even *more* popular -- and self-centered -- than ever!

I'm not sure *exactly* what happens next, but I know for sure that Marsha and Skeeter will develop powers, similar to their 616 selves (Volcana and Titania, respectively), except with the ability to change back into their original forms. They end up conspiriing to cut Jen down to size. Mallory gets jealous that she didn't get any powers from the accident, and begins plotting to ursurp Jen through more conventional means: gossip, under-handedness, sabotaged five-way phone calls, etc.

Somewhere in the middle of the story, the so-called Abomination is freed from a holding cell, after somebody hacks into the prison's security system. The guilty party is a nerdy, introverted sci-fi geek named Wesley 'Crusher' Creel, who works as a data entry clerk in the Simonson High library by day, and spends his nights "absorbing" conspiracy theories and pseudo-science from gonzo news websites.

In the end, She-Hulk ends up saving the town from the rampaging Abomination, and further cementing her 'local hero' role.

But just when things look perfect for Jen, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter turns up with some awful news -- she can forget about law school. Once Jen turns 18, she must become a member of the Ultimates!

Comments? Reactions? Feedback please!

Last edited:
compound said:
Somewhere in the middle of the story, the so-called Abomination is freed from a holding cell, after somebody hacks into the prison's security system. The guilty part is a nerdy, introverted sci-fi geek named Wesley 'Crusher' Creel, who works as a data entry clerk in the Simonson High library by day, and spends his nights "absorbing" conspiracy theories and pseudo-science from gonzo news websites.

In the end, She-Hulk ends up saving the town from the rampaging Abomination, and further cementing her 'local hero' role.

But just when things look perfect for Jen, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter turns up with some awful news -- she can forget about law school. Once Jen turns 18, she must become a member of the Ultimates!

Comments? Reactions? Feedback please!
Hm. My only problem is that there is no explicit reason as to why Wesley 'Crusher' Creel is responsible for freeing Emil Blonsky/Abomination.

ourchair said:
Hm. My only problem is that there is no explicit reason as to why Wesley 'Crusher' Creel is responsible for freeing Emil Blonsky/Abomination.

I should have been clearer about this... He's a bit like the Troika from Buffy, or the Lone Gunmen from X-Files, in that he's motivated by a commitment to bringing paranormal secrets out into the open. However, he's also a stupid kid in his early 20s who has never quite outgrown his own sense of youthful invincibility, so he's very cavalier and gung-ho about it, taking matters into his own hands. So he thinks he's doing a greater good by freeing Blonsky, without considering the kind of threat he's loosing upon the greater population.

I would imagine that by series' end he winds up being found out by one of the various insituations involved (the prison, Brand Med, or S.H.I.E.L.D.) and detained or recruited, leaving open the possibility for his return (later and elsewhwere) as Ultimate Absorbing Man.

compound said:
I should have been clearer about this... He's a bit like the Troika from Buffy, or the Lone Gunmen from X-Files, in that he's motivated by a commitment to bringing paranormal secrets out into the open. However, he's also a stupid kid in his early 20s who has never quite outgrown his own sense of youthful invincibility, so he's very cavalier and gung-ho about it, taking matters into his own hands. So he thinks he's doing a greater good by freeing Blonsky, without considering the kind of threat he's loosing upon the greater population.
I can see what you're getting at and it's ultra cool, but this doesn't strike me as explicit as it should be.

And I would argue that it isn't so much as youthful invincibility that justifies his senseless righteousness in freeing Blonsky so much as a misguided and wrongheaded sense of idealism in that he sees every cause towards "exposing unethical post-human incidents" as the end that justifies his actions, actions like freeing Blonsky while overlooking the kind of safety threat he is and the immediate collateral damage he can cause.

Although Banner stated that his cousin Jen was younger than him, she'd be well out of high school now. The Ultimates are all thirty-somethings really. We could go back in time for an origin of course, but that mean she hulks out before banner does. And the 616 She-hulk series right now is great already for that quirky comic element.
Also, the Abomination is far too an important bad guy in Hulks history to have him trivialised in such a way.
It would work in a sense of a 616 quirky what-if.. but currently it would tread on the toes of of said current she-hulk series.

Continuity and product placement aside..
It seems like a fine yarn, on the New X-Men Academy tip.

Its an interesting scheme, one that could be appropriate for any number of characters since its slightly less feasible for She-Hulk (not premise wise, possibility of it happening wise). I think it could turn out very well if it was written by the right person.

Guijllons said:
Although Banner stated that his cousin Jen was younger than him, she'd be well out of high school now. The Ultimates are all thirty-somethings really.

Oh, I admit I'd forgotten that Jen had even been mentioned in the Ultimate Universe! Where exactly did he name her, specifically? :?

And if he never specified that she's Jen *Walters*, then I suppose a little retconning wouldn't hurt, for the sake of telling a relatively self-contained Ultimate story ;)

It was in the Ultimates 2 #2, Banner mentions in the memory walk with xavier, that he used to enjoy going to his cousins place, and that jenny was five years younger than him.

Guijllons said:
It was in the Ultimates 2 #2, Banner mentions in the memory walk with xavier, that he used to enjoy going to his cousins place, and that jenny was five years younger than him.
Compound overlooking this is my fault. I still haven't let him read the entirety of the past four issues of Ultimates 2.

But I like to justify all future Ultimate fan treatment oversights by saying that they are all purely fictitious and any resemblance to existing Ultimate characters is clearly coincidental. (In the same sense that all representations of celebrities in "true story" films are meant to be "fictitious")

Guijllons said:
Ah, well that explains it -- I'm planning to read Ultimates 2 in TPB form. And though I occasionally sneak peeks at the singles that ourchair buys, I haven't read that particular issue yet.

Damn you write a heap of good ideas. When I have time I'll read through them all. Marvel should hire you as a plotter.

Just read it and seen that this is another great plot. I would gladly read this. And don't worry about the mistake, Bendis makes them all the time. Eddie Brock was a journalist for the Planet, and then was a scientist at Uni. :roll:

Jen is 18. Bruce is about 25+. Perhaps shes at university or in some law school course or something?

ProjectX2 said:
Damn you write a heap of good ideas. When I have time I'll read through them all. Marvel should hire you as a plotter.
As I often love to tease compound, "It's one thing to plot comics, it's another to script them and lay them out. See also: Kevin Smith." :twisted:

ourchair said:
As I often love to tease compound, "It's one thing to plot comics, it's another to script them and lay them out. See also: Kevin Smith." :twisted:
Lol.
But you do have to admit he's got the plotting down well

Caduceus said:
Out of interest, do you write fanfic Compound?
No, I'm afraid I just don't have the focus or dedication to write full-on fan-fic :p

I might consider writing my plots as full scripts that could be interpreted in comic form, but I doubt I would 'novelize' them as conventional fan-fic. I would rather see them end up as sequential art as their final form, if only because that's how I see them in my head -- in a visual way that I unfortunately don't have the skill to create on my own.

That's not meant to be slight against fan-fic, in general -- it takes talent and effort to write full-fledged fic the way you do, and I'm afraid I fall short, in that respect.

Latest posts

Back