Ult. Wolvie: false memories?

compound

False memory implants have long been a part of Wolverine's backstory, as a character in 616. Should these carry over into the Ultimate Universe?

Is there any reason to believe that he has them, based on what we know, so far?

He's obviously been around as far back as World War 2 (see meeting with Cap during Ultimate War). Of course, that was another person's recollection of him. To what extent does he remember these experiences?

Last edited:
I don't think they would make him with false memories. I can accept loss of memory and no memory at all. Cap already said that he met Jim in WWII so i guess at least this part of his life is true...

I wonder if the ring he received and the files burnt by Sabretooth were nothing more than parts of a false history. Suggesting that Wolverine had a life before, where in reality he may not have.

compound said:
False memory implants have long been a part of Wolverine's backstory, as a character in 616. Should these carry over into the Ultimate Universe?

Is there any reason to believe that he has them, based on what we know, so far?

He's obviously been around as far back as World War 2 (see meeting with Cap during Ultimate War). Of course, that was another person's recollection of him. To what extent does he remember these experiences?
I'm under the impression that Wolverine doesn't really have false memories, but rather a side effect of being long-lived is being completely forgetful.

I think of his condition as something akin to Powers' Christian Walker, who has lived since monkeys were fighting for snatch-territory. He has the memory span of a normal life, but has lived experiences that exceed that memory.

Fess up, boy!

ourchair said:
I think of his condition as something akin to Powers' Christian Walker, who has lived since monkeys were fighting for snatch-territory. He has the memory span of a normal life, but has lived experiences that exceed that memory.
Admit it -- you just contributed to this thread so you could use the phrase "monkeys were fighting for snatch-territory" in a post.

I'm onto you. :evil:​

Last edited:
Re: Fess up, boy!

compound said:
Admit it -- you just contributed to this thread so you could use the phrase "monkeys were fighting for snatch-territory" in a post.
I am glad that whatever I have attempted to contribute to this discussion has been completely invalidated by 'snatch-territory'.

Watch as this thread dies.

Re: Fess up, boy!

ourchair said:
I am glad that whatever I have attempted to contribute to this discussion has been completely invalidated by 'snatch-territory'.

Watch as this thread dies.

Great, you did it, you really need to remind me of that Bendis' monkey sex comic? Why? You are not a human being, you unhearted *****!

Last edited:
No, seriously, the reason I ask is because the whole "false memory" schtick is practically a license to retcon Wolvie's backstory, whenever it seems convenient to do so. Oh, no, that didn't really happen; it was just Howlett misremembering things again!

But it's also ripe for lots of casual throwaway Easter Egg type scenarios, where a psionic/telepathic character delves into Wolvie's subconscious and yanks out some familiar-looking but unnamed figures from his alleged past, like some kind of covert government equivalent of a scrapbook: Look, it's Wolvie and the Six Pack htting on peasant women in Guatemala! And here's Wolvie and Maverick sharing a cigarette at the Berlin Wall! This is Wolvie and Cyber delivering Fidel Castro's Marxist-Leninist Vibrator to Guantanamo Bay!

Presumably, Wolverine must have SOME kind of memory blocks in place, or else why doesn't he just get Xavier to pry into his memory and extract whatever it is he needs to remember about his past? (Actually, this question MAY have been answered during "Return to Weapon X" -- I need to re-read that.)

Last edited:
ourchair said:
I think of his condition as something akin to Powers' Christian Walker.

That's an interesting theory. It could be that Wolvie eventually "regenerate" old brain cells which leads him to forget things periodically.

But we know that Weapon X specifically erased his memory and wanted to do the same to all the X-Men.

Just because we know for a fact that Wepon X erased Wolverine's memories doesn't mean he wouldn't eventually forget like Christian Walker does, but it makes that theory unneccessary to explain his current condition and unverifiable.

Compound said:
Presumably, Wolverine must have SOME kind of memory blocks in place, or else why doesn't he just get Xavier to pry itno his meory and extract whatever it is he needs to remember about his past?

The one time Xavier really dug in Wolverine mind and manage to overcome the blocker (in Blockbuster) he went as far back as the "birth" of Wolverine as we now him (Adamantium and all). We could assume that he can't go further back because there is nothing left. For Xavier to extract memories that Wolverine has forgot would imply that these memories haven't been erased but merely suppressed, and so far we have no evidence that it's the case at this point.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
The one time Xavier really dug in Wolverine mind and manage to overcome the blocker (in Blockbuster) he went as far back as the "birth" of Wolverine as we now him (Adamantium and all). We could assume that he can't go further back because there is nothing left. For Xavier to extract memories that Wolverine has forgot would imply that these memories haven't been erased but merely suppressed, and so far we have no evidence that it's the case at this point.
Ah, well, that answers it -- "Blockbuster" is the only UXM arc that I haven't bothered to read yet.

Was there any evidence of how long ago (i.e. which time period) he was "born", based on the technology used, and the physical appearances (hairstyles, clothing) of the people in his memories?

compound said:
Ah, well, that answers it -- "Blockbuster" is the only UXM arc that I haven't bothered to read yet.

Was there any evidence of how long ago (i.e. which time period) he was "born", based on the technology used, and the physical appearances (hairstyles, clothing) of the people in his memories?
Don't think so.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I hope there's no false memories. I don't need the entire run of the Ultimate Universe (I'm talking about when I'm 50 years old) dealing with the sob sob story of Wolverine's past. Just get it over with ... and make it quick and painless.
I'm with you on that, I'd like an arc to deal with his past and then get it over and done with for good. If they do need to create some intrigue for wolverine then they can invent something new.

Latest posts

Back