Ultimate 2099

He did come from a time where they were rounding up all the Japanese people and putting them into camps. He mentioned how he missed the time where anyone who wasn't Christian was viewed as insane. Maybe if it happened slowly, with him surrounded by propaganda and government handlers, or if the only ones to object where hunted down and ended up revolting violently.

Exactly. Cap's a good guy, but he grew up in a very different time. Everyone's got to remember that isolationism was an incredibly popular idea around World War II, when Cap was still kicking. And the 2099 world I'm aiming out isn't a totalitarian, fascist state. Mutants aren't locked in internment camps. I could easily see Cap seeing the changes that are being made as necessary evils. I always saw him, Stark, and Thor as a sort of ideological trinity in the mainstream Ultimate Universe, and 2099 would be an opportunity to take this to an extreme. Stark is an omnipresence concerned with the peace and security of all America's citizens, regardless of the consequences. Cap is a begrudging patriot who's trying to hold together America's ideals in the wake of all these changes. Thor is a liberal who uses his god-like powers to ensure the peace of his people, but has realized he has to sacrifice some rights to make a vast community really work. Ultimates 2099 would continue to be the political book, addressing the difficulties of politics in a dystopian society. Fantastic Four 2099 would be a travel guide to the Ultimate 2099 Universe (and I think a future version of Doom and Latveria could be VERY cool. Maybe I'll expand all of this). Ultimate Spider-Man would take a clone of the Peter we all know and love and give us a ground's eye view of 2099 America.

TwilightEL said:
Wow, Zombipanda, that's a really cool idea. I like it. It ties all the titles together in a way they aren't being tied together today.

Thanks Twilight! :D

TwilightEL said:
The X-men idea would have to tie in Cable somehow. Maybe when Xavier dies, the mutants don't have a strong leader anymore. His absence creates a massive power vacuum and no charismatic leader is able to fill it. He's used his mental powers and leadership to control all the mutants, but he never set up a successor. Cable brings him to the future not because he doesn't want him in the past, but because they need him more there. They need someone who can help the mutants rise up... or if they don't want to, make them. He's viewed as the messiah returned by the mutants around him, but Cable and his lackeys view him as a tool.

hm..... Interesting idea. The problem is, I think Cable's just a generation or two from the future, which would place him earlier than 2099 in the timeline. What I was thinking is that the Legacy Project, which has already been mentioned, is a means to monitor and neutralize the mutations of omega level threats like Magneto, and that this project planted the seeds for the Sentinel Program. I'd leave Cable just twenty of thirty years in our future, and have the main Ultimate X-Men series cover how he fails to save the future. And then start off Ultimate X-Men 2099 with an all-new cast.

Exactly. Cap's a good guy, but he grew up in a very different time. Everyone's got to remember that isolationism was an incredibly popular idea around World War II, when Cap was still kicking. And the 2099 world I'm aiming out isn't a totalitarian, fascist state. Mutants aren't locked in internment camps. I could easily see Cap seeing the changes that are being made as necessary evils. I always saw him, Stark, and Thor as a sort of ideological trinity in the mainstream Ultimate Universe, and 2099 would be an opportunity to take this to an extreme. Stark is an omnipresence concerned with the peace and security of all America's citizens, regardless of the consequences. Cap is a begrudging patriot who's trying to hold together America's ideals in the wake of all these changes. Thor is a liberal who uses his god-like powers to ensure the peace of his people, but has realized he has to sacrifice some rights to make a vast community really work. Ultimates 2099 would continue to be the political book, addressing the difficulties of politics in a dystopian society. Fantastic Four 2099 would be a travel guide to the Ultimate 2099 Universe (and I think a future version of Doom and Latveria could be VERY cool. Maybe I'll expand all of this). Ultimate Spider-Man would take a clone of the Peter we all know and love and give us a ground's eye view of 2099 America.

And he'd be trying to find out what actually happened to him, and there'd be a whole Spider-Man clone army... would Carnage show up?

hm..... Interesting idea. The problem is, I think Cable's just a generation or two from the future, which would place him earlier than 2099 in the timeline. What I was thinking is that the Legacy Project, which has already been mentioned, is a means to monitor and neutralize the mutations of omega level threats like Magneto, and that this project planted the seeds for the Sentinel Program. I'd leave Cable just twenty of thirty years in our future, and have the main Ultimate X-Men series cover how he fails to save the future. And then start off Ultimate X-Men 2099 with an all-new cast.

I want this to happen. I want this to happen SO BAD. They should just cancel the Ultimate line and replace it with this.

I have nothing to add, except that the original 2099 universe are some of my favorite comics ever.

I just wanted my 2099th post to be in this thread!

And he'd be trying to find out what actually happened to him, and there'd be a whole Spider-Man clone army... would Carnage show up?

I want this to happen. I want this to happen SO BAD. They should just cancel the Ultimate line and replace it with this.

Wait until I've got a little free time and some weed. Insomnia's been killing me recently, so that will probably be tonight, after work. I'll hammer out some details.

I think marvel could think about doing this...like the Marvel Knights 2099...I wouldn't mind it just as a 5th week event...try out some Ultimate 2099 comics..which we wouldn't consider canon...or ultimate 3099 comics which we would...whatever..as long as there's not too many (think 4 or 5 for the ongoings and maybe gah lak tus) and they've all got creative ideas I'd be up for it.

Alright, so, ideas.

So, if I plotted it out, here's how the general history would roll out. The Legacy Project would be a virus that triggers the element causing mutation in the human body. The idea would be to have strains of different strengths. Lighter strains would merely trigger the mutation in the body of the human, making it possible to cheaply create an independent mutant army. Stronger strains would trigger mutation and then force it out of control, until (most of) the victims are either physically killed by the mutation, or forced into psychosis from the overload of the sudden and rapid exposure to the virus. The death rate for the virus is less than 30% but the damage done by spontaneous mutations multiplies those deaths and adds an extra chaos to the scene. The man with the plan would be Apocalypse, a mutant terrorist from Egypt who claims to be born at the creation of the earth, and who only appears publicly or in the media behind huge and imposing looking armor. The attack is unified in that it's fought simultaneously on practically every continent. Europe, Asia, and Africa are savaged. The Americas manage to survive generally unscathed, due to the development of the SHIELD cure for the Legacy Virus. While they don't have a chance to get any help out to the other continents, the US manages to stymie any catastrophic disasters within the states, and manages to contain the attacks throughout Canada and South America to particular areas. The United States quickly goes onto the defense. The rest of the world is considered "under quarantine" and all flights and boats in and out of the country are cut off. Shortly thereafter, about half of the South/Central American countries and all of Canada begrudgingly cede to the United States, out of need for a unified front (by the time of 2099, all of South and Central America except for a few hot spots have been forcibly taken under control). The idea here is to take Millar's political tilt in the Ultimates and twist it a little. The New United States is still the one global superpower, but here it's forced to be aggressively defensive instead of just outright aggressive. It would also be an interesting twist for the Cap/Thor/Stark triumvirate. Apocalypse would be trying to initiate the next evolution by forcing everyone to involve and building an empire out of the wreckage. He would use devoted followers and the remnants of HYDRA (who would turn out to be the criminal terrorist organization who primarily funded the attacks by the Liberators) to launch his plan into motion. His Horsemen would be generals, picked from major players within the organization. By the time 2099 rolls around, many of them would have passed their dynasty on to ancestors. Maybe the Mandarin and his powers are a title and dynasty, rather than just a supervillain name.

Apocalypse claims the Middle East as his throne of power. Alexandria is renamed Apokolips (Okay. Maybe not). He insists that the Age of Apocalypse is totally on. He's so right. The rest of his lands are consolidated between his Four Horsemen (one of which I figure would be the Mandarin, to twist the Stark/Mandarin feud and making it an international military feud). Ultimate Fin Fang Foom would be involved in this plot, also. In the New USA, Reed Richards, his family/team, and the kids underneath Nevada are conscripted to head the New United States Defense Project. Doctor Doom returns to find Richards missing (government protection) and his kingdom in disrepair. Without Reed Richards there to distract his attentions, he manages to fashion Latveria into a well-maintained, if mildly oppressive techno-magical empire, which stretches through the Balkans.

As for USM 2099...

When SHIELD wrested control of the US, the structure of the complex completely changed. The CIA has taken a considerably larger role (and probably a more sinister name, but I can't think of one now), most of which was wrested forcibly by the late Doctor Otto Octavius. So the CIA drops off the face of the map. Huge chunks of government funding go into it, but seemingly nothing comes out. Dr. Otto Octavius is at some point replaced, and then replaced again, then a third time, each by people who carry his name. They're rarely seen. The reason why is, they're building clones, creating identities for them, and sending them out into the world for various intelligence purposes. The problem is, the researchers discover that for some reason, Parker's genetic material is the only source of DNA that can be cloned with a large amount of effectiveness. So, they keep producing all of these clones of Peter Parker's DNA - sometimes with powers, sometimes without, sometimes with different powers spliced in - that are each tweaked with to look and operate different (They're all not exact clones of Parker, but they're all derived from the same DNA base). Except, Doctor Octopus is shaving a few extra clones off the inventory and using them for its own purposes. Octopus has managed to install Parker clones in major positions of power throughout the United States.

Speaking of the doctor - I'd try to explain away the old magnetic powers. My angle is that Doc Octopus made his claws out of vibranium - a metal that sympathetically responds to nearby thoughts. With the right technology, he figured he could calibrate this technology to his nervous system, and the metal would respond to his thoughts, acting as tools. It worked a little too well. The vibranium responding strongly to his thoughts, becoming dead obsessed with scientific curiousity. It would regularly operate either on its own, or with Octopus unconscious, on upgrades to its equipment. The magnetic field control was one. Another was a sort of battery pack that allowed him to operate independently for a short time while it tries to find a host. It's now on its fourth body, and she's a hot chick. She's also way corporate evil. I'd twist the design of the tentacles, making them pliable nano-machines that comes from a disc grafted in place of several vertebrae.

So, out in the middle of this crazy 2099 world, a kid wakes up with Peter Parker's memories. He's been liberated from the clone tanks by an agent of HYDRA, who names herself after the legendary Black Widow. HYDRA in the United States has evolved into a sort of liberationist guerilla movement with violent tendencies. Anyway, our boy has all the memories of Peter Parker up to about 16 tears old, and he's thrown right in the middle of this dystopian future. You'd have to stick with the same old theme of great power/great responsibility. Whether he needs to be responsible to the moral compass of a teenager from a hundred years ago, or if he's responsible to the agency that created him, or the terrorists who saved him from becoming another drone. And right on the heels of that, he finds out that Peter Parker (who unmasked as Spider-Man) and Spidey himself are both huge counter-culture or teen icons, in the same way as Che Guevara or Kurt Cobain or maybe even Malcolm X. Spider-Man is a hero to the disenfranchised. An early story would have him breaking in to a Spider-Man museum to take a costume for himself, from somewhere later in Spider-Man's career.

The main plot would follow Spidey as he tries to unravel the new Doctor Octopus' fans, and have him becoming a huge hero to the general public, but a threat to both the CIA (who are planning on consuming SHIELD) and SHIELD. Carnage Mk IX would be a highly sophisticated evolution of the original Carnage created by Curt Conners. It's a highly adaptive, mobile, and destructive weapon that can annihilate a city block in moments that becomes stronger when stirred into frenzy, and is believed to actually initiate hallucinogens in the surrounding area, at the height of this frenzy. VENOM would be special police units run by SHIELD and operating as a futuristic SWAT team. I remember a really bad Venom storyline from back in the day (Separation Anxiety, maybe it was called?). From what I can recall, there were a bunch of symbiotes that split off of Venom, or Carnage, or someone, and they formed their own personalities. I also believe there was a team of hunters on Venom's trail who each had a justice gimmick. They all had silly court names. The Venom unit would be an ultimization of both of these ideas. The unit would be highly trained police officers with high-grade equipment (and silly themes and code names) who can activate symbiotes to take down larger threats. The symbiote of each character would synch up to the different symbiotes in that awful, awful story. Oz has become an illegal street drug, popular among criminals for the physical boosts it gives you. A gang called the Goblins pops up, with a whole subculture of goblin-esque body modification and heavy use of the drug. Hierarchy is determined in part by who's been made most grotesque by the Oz. Maybe there'd be a civilization of lizard men in the sewers, spawned by Curt Conners. But there'd definitely be a new Ultimate Knights - a bunch of freedom fighter punk kids who try to fight corporate oppression in the city. Mayday Parker (AKA, The Amazing Spider Girl) claims to be the great grand-daughter of Peter Parker. Daredevil would be a riff on the Universe X version. He can suffer any form of injury and survive. He makes his living as a street performer during the day. The great grandson of Wong, who claims he attended by Doctor Strange before the Sorcerer Supreme left for other worlds, would be the team's magician. There'd also be a Scarlet Spider, maybe. Perhaps he could be a clone implanted in the team by Doc Ock.

We are all beings with a sense of right and wrong. We all respect justice. I think it's our duty as creatures with souls to correct a cosmic wrong. We must travel back in time, grab baby Zombipanda, go back to the moment of Bendis' birth, and switch the two. It's the only way to make this right.

We are all beings with a sense of right and wrong. We all respect justice. I think it's our duty as creatures with souls to correct a cosmic wrong. We must travel back in time, grab baby Zombipanda, go back to the moment of Bendis' birth, and switch the two. It's the only way to make this right.

That's sweet. You don't think they'll notice that there's a dead (albeit adorable and dashing) panda bear cub instead of, y'know.... a baby giant slug?

I've got ideas for the other books, but I'm too ****ed up at this moment to post any of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back