Ultimate 2099

No, I'm pretty sure it's Morrison with two Wildstorm books on indefinate hold and who needed a break four issues into his Batman run.

And I'm pretty sure it's Millar who's had a delayed issue for seven months, and it's Miller who released, what is it, one issue of All Star Batman in all of 2006?

And I'm pretty sure it's Millar who's had a delayed issue for seven months, and it's Miller who released, what is it, one issue of All Star Batman in all of 2006?

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where that somehow invalidates Morrison's lateness.

Although it does bring up All-Star Superman (also late).

All Star Superman is just fine. It's bi-monthly, for one, and greatness is expected to be a little late.

Unlike All Star Batman and Robin.

All Star Superman is just fine. It's bi-monthly, for one, and greatness is expected to be a little late.

Unlike All Star Batman and Robin.

It's highly debatable that greatness is expected the be late. And it doesn't even keep a bi-monthly schedule.

But I'm not really complaining about it anyway.

Just saying. Morrison's really late a lot these days. And now he's writing a movie too.

It's highly debatable that greatness is expected the be late. And it doesn't even keep a bi-monthly schedule.

But I'm not really complaining about it anyway.

Just saying. Morrison's really late a lot these days. And now he's writing a movie too.

All-Star Superman is a creator pet project. I think there's definitely some allowable lenience on when the issues come out.

I think the problem with Batman is squarely on Kubert's shoulders. The fact that Grant managed to put out an issue that was completely in prose when they put in a (ugly) fill-in artist is a pretty big sign of that. And then Wildcats has Jim Lee, the same Jim Lee who can't keep *** Batman and Robin running. Meanwhile, Morrison's co-writing a weekly comic.

I wouldn't be TOO worried about Grant keeping deadlines.

Authority is Grant's fault. Gene Ha's got so much free time he's doing a Justice League fill-in. He doesn't have any Authority scripts to work on.

Seven Soldiers was extremely late.

I'm willing to blame A-SS on Quietly because he has a horrible track record, but I'm not willing to dismiss is for being a "creator pet project" or whatever.

The guy's books are coming out late. That's not even debatable.

Please, please. I think we can take this debate to another thread. I didn't mean for it to spread out like this.

On subject: will there still be Prozac-popping wife beating traitors in 2099?

In 2099, the Ultimate Universe will be the Ultimate Age of Ultimate Apocalypse, as the Ultimate Legacy Virus killed off most of the superheroes.

Only one will be able to save the day: Ultimate Ravage 2099.

Authority is Grant's fault. Gene Ha's got so much free time he's doing a Justice League fill-in. He doesn't have any Authority scripts to work on.

probably. I don't know much about Ha.

Seven Soldiers was extremely late.

Seven Soldiers was also an extremely ambitious mega-project.

I'm willing to blame A-SS on Quietly because he has a horrible track record, but I'm not willing to dismiss is for being a "creator pet project" or whatever.

All I'm saying is, when you're trying to distill the essence of an American icon into a comic book, you can't expect it to be out like clockwork.

The guy's books are coming out late. That's not even debatable.

And when the guy has so many books on the shelf, it's hard to lay the blame on him. Most of his late projects are either incredibly ambitious projects or have artists with a history of not getting the job done.

So maybe he's late, but he's also the most ambitious creator out there, and if there's one thing an "Ultimate 2099" project would need, it's ambition.

I think someone should ultimize Grant Morrison. You can never have enough Grant Morrison.

And with that, let's get back to 2099.

I think I'll be too ambitious to go to work tomorrow.

On topic, Kirkman's 2099 stuff was pretty much Ultimate 2099. Unless you actually mean the Ultimate Universe in the future. I've forgotten what this thread is even about.

Anyway, in response to Doc Comic, he wasn't married but Captain America 2099 was a drug addict. . .

I wonder if the Ultimate Universe will continue being published by 2099.

I presume the Ultimate Universe will have been ultimized already, by this generation's most hottest writers. And by this generation's most hottest writers, I mean the deformed clone of the son of Bendis.

He will do battle with Ultimate Grant Morrison, who is a black Willy Wonka.

The one thing I like about the Ultimate Universe (and there are very few things I'm liking about it these days) are that, when they work best, they all share a universe, and have a unifying undercurrent of major themes and motifs. That's what I'd like to see in 2099 - take the four major lines and extrapolate their central themes to the extreme.

We have a superhuman arms race, but the biggest threat to that are the mutants. With mutants around, any dirt poor country or group of crazies can cause devastating amounts of damage pretty much anywhere they want with the help of mutants. As a result, the United States becomes increasingly and rapidly more insular. Alternate power sources discovered by Reed Richards wean America off of foreign oil, and allow pretty much everything America needs to be produced internally. The borders are cut off completely, with defense devices created by Dr. Storm's think tank and the Ultimates cutting off the borders from everyone. American citizens are prohibited from traveling abroad, and citizenship is offered rarely and exclusively, only when petitioners have something amazing to offer the government. With all of America's defense internalized, S.H.I.E.L.D. eventually subsumes the rest of the military programs and accounts for the whole Defense Department. The Ultimates become legendary, the highest high of celebrities, and are gradually increased to serve as the standing army of the United States. Their sole purpose is to protect the United States from external threats and to provide defense in the rare cases where American interest is forced to venture beyond the mainland. The second arm of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the Sentinel Program, an intelligence agency that interfaces its agents like computers to monitor any and all mutant activity, and to combat the internal threats of gene manipulation. The only open government persecution is the fact that any and all mutants are subjected to complete surveillance. Meanwhile, public sentiments towards mutants are rapidly turning violent. Outside, the world is in chaos. With superhumans running rampant, regimes flip by the week. Each book would deal with a different facet of the universe.

Ultimates 2099: Captain America, who has yet to age a day, heads the Ultimates Intiative, the soul purpose of which is to combat external threats to America. Iron Man is the genomic makeup of Tony Stark patterned into AI. This AI conjointly operates the Triskelion (headquarters of the Ultimates), Stark Tower (headquarters of the Sentinel Program), and a veritable army of Iron Man soldiers. Thor is considered by some a god, and by some a madman, who governs over the territory of Scandinavia, which has become a series of small, earth-friendly communes.

Ultimate Spider-Man 2099: 15 year old Peter Parker wakes up in a laboratory with all his memories intact. An internal terror agency called HYDRA is operating within the United States, headed by a mysterious scientist with robotic arms. Using cloning technology that has been slowly perfected over the last 100 years, they are creating an army of clones to overthrow the United States government, clones with startling intelligence and superhuman ability, but all with the same genetic makeup, making their personalities predictable and tweakable. But something goes wrong, and Peter Parker finds he has to shoulder great responsibility and take down the organization. His only ally is the Black Widow, a deep undercover Sentinel agent using the code name of a long forgotten precursor.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 2099: After a fallout with the United States government over their methods, the Fantastic Four disappear into the N-Zone, to explore the unknown quantities of the universe. That is, until they fall back into the year 2099, barely aged, to find a world completely changed. With their vast experience, they have become near-gods, manifestations of the elements they represent. They venture into the savage world beyond America to try and find some way to fix the universe, and before all is said and done, they'll end up tangling with SHIELD.

Ultimate X-Men 2099: People sure hate mutants, yeah? Not quite sure where this one would go without it feeling like retreaded territory.

I'm curious. Why did you decide to have all of them travel forward in time instead of creating new characters like the regular 2099?

I'm curious. Why did you decide to have all of them travel forward in time instead of creating new characters like the regular 2099?

I figured the characters of the UU are at the core of the books. I think, taking characters that are so embedded in the incubation of the UU would make for more interesting protagonists/antagonists in the future incarnation, and give readers a hook into it. None of it is really time travel, either. The new Spider-Man is just a clone of the original Parker, who, through a stroke of luck, has free will and the memories of the original Parker. Cap, Stark, and Thor make for a good mythological Triad to make the crux of Ultimates. The super-soldier serum gives us a perfectly feasible reason for why Cap doesn't age and provides us with a lens to see how the "spirit of America" has changed in a hundred years. Stark's transformation really higlights the Technocratic bent of this new world order, and Thor's a god. I think it's a setting that would lend itself well to the conflict of these three ideologies. Part of what makes Fantastic Four great is the sense of wonder and freshness in the characters, and by thrusting them, still youthful and explorative, into a world they don't understand, means that the characters and the readers are both exploring the brave new world. As for X-Men, the only character I could feasibly seeing still alive would be Wolverine.

I figured the characters of the UU are at the core of the books. I think, taking characters that are so embedded in the incubation of the UU would make for more interesting protagonists/antagonists in the future incarnation, and give readers a hook into it. None of it is really time travel, either. The new Spider-Man is just a clone of the original Parker, who, through a stroke of luck, has free will and the memories of the original Parker. Cap, Stark, and Thor make for a good mythological Triad to make the crux of Ultimates. The super-soldier serum gives us a perfectly feasible reason for why Cap doesn't age and provides us with a lens to see how the "spirit of America" has changed in a hundred years. Stark's transformation really higlights the Technocratic bent of this new world order, and Thor's a god. I think it's a setting that would lend itself well to the conflict of these three ideologies. Part of what makes Fantastic Four great is the sense of wonder and freshness in the characters, and by thrusting them, still youthful and explorative, into a world they don't understand, means that the characters and the readers are both exploring the brave new world. As for X-Men, the only character I could feasibly seeing still alive would be Wolverine.

I don't think Ultimate Cap would help turn the US into a fascist state. Cap is a die hard conservative and a bit of a jerk, but he isn't a fascist.

I don't think Ultimate Cap would help turn the US into a fascist state. Cap is a die hard conservative and a bit of a jerk, but he isn't a fascist.

He did come from a time where they were rounding up all the Japanese people and putting them into camps. He mentioned how he missed the time where anyone who wasn't Christian was viewed as insane. Maybe if it happened slowly, with him surrounded by propaganda and government handlers, or if the only ones to object where hunted down and ended up revolting violently.

Wow, Zombipanda, that's a really cool idea. I like it. It ties all the titles together in a way they aren't being tied together today. The X-men idea would have to tie in Cable somehow. Maybe when Xavier dies, the mutants don't have a strong leader anymore. His absence creates a massive power vacuum and no charismatic leader is able to fill it. He's used his mental powers and leadership to control all the mutants, but he never set up a successor. Cable brings him to the future not because he doesn't want him in the past, but because they need him more there. They need someone who can help the mutants rise up... or if they don't want to, make them. He's viewed as the messiah returned by the mutants around him, but Cable and his lackeys view him as a tool.

Latest posts

Back