Ultimate Annuals Poll

What was your favorite Annual issue?

• Total voters
Spidey was best though.

I personally liked all the Annuals.

I don't expect the world in a little issue of a comic book, no matter what it's called, so I don't have to ***** about it for hours on the internet.

Spider-man was definately the best. It was the only one that was really good. The X-Men one was alright, and the other 2 were just meh.

I don't know what is wrong with you people. Maybe it's because I don't regularly read Ultimate Spiderman, but the idea of spending the entire annual showing Kitty and Spidey dating is like watching an episode of Dawson's Creek. I didn't think the two audiences were that similar. The annual was the second worst thing any comic book issue can be, filler. Second only to bad filler. It did nothing to advance spidey's character, because they're only going to mention his "relationship" in passing in either comics and then after about ten issues they'll mention that "things just didn't work out." I'm not saying that the other annuals were as great as they could have been, but how can you enjoy reading spidey going on a date more than reading the introduction of the Ultimates' reserves(possibly the future Ultimates). Come on people have some standards.

MaxwellSmart said:
because they're only going to mention his "relationship" in passing in either comics and then after about ten issues they'll mention that "things just didn't work out." I'm not saying that the other annuals were as great as they could have been, but how can you enjoy reading spidey going on a date more than reading the introduction of the Ultimates' reserves(possibly the future Ultimates). Come on people have some standards.

I agree but we're gonna see how it's handled when Silver Sable comes on the scene. I think it's ridiculous the solicitations say "And Peter gets advice from his new girlfriend" That's like saying and "Aunt May tells him to eat his vegetables". Regardless of how much everyone loves this relationship, MJ is always right around the corner and there's only so much people can do with a character when she's in another title.

As for The Reserves. Possibly The future Ultimates? As in their own title? I am not getting that. I don't how much of a completist I am. They're fine progressing Fury's ideals and The Ultimates story but I don't find them interesting on their own at all. Just like I don't give a **** about The Union and The Defenders, who I would rather see over these reserves.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But do you agree that as future arcs progress these annuals may become more important than they are now?

Yes, I agree that they create a continuity that may create future stories, but my point is that on their own, they don't matter much. UXM, UF4, and USM just don't matter at all on their own, and could've just been a single issue, they didn't need to be "annuals". Just because the events will have ramifications later doesn't make them good. Episode I had ramifications, but it's still mediocre.

The only annual to take advantage of the annuals was The Ultimates. It fleshed out lots of the background of the series, introduced many new characters, put Nick Fury in the foreground, and jumpstarted the war that will play a big part of the Grand Theft America. It did what it was supposed to do, which is do an event important to the Ultimates storyline, but something that was stand-alone and not required reading for the series. It did its job very well. The other three, did not for one reason or another.

I have to agree with Maxwell to some extent here. UF4, UXM, and USM were fillers, not events. They were fill-in issues, but they just called them "annuals" so they'd sell better.

Bass said:
I have to agree with Maxwell to some extent here. UF4, UXM, and USM were fillers, not events. They were fill-in issues, but they just called them "annuals" so they'd sell better.

I agree with this point, but I don't think its fair to call the Annuals fillers, merely because I think the idea of the Annuals came about before the actualy stories did. Because they're self-contained stories, it gives that impression of being a filler, and mainly because none were spectacular is that the case. But like you said about the Ultimates Annual, that one did the job the best.

I define "filler" as a storie(most likely one issue) that doesn't perminantly develop a character or storyline. One of the major standards I put on all arcs is how different would the series be if it hadn't happened. Since these Annuals were so supposed to be "events" I say that they should have been complex enough and important enough for an "event." By this measure I say that the only annual that couldn't have been wrapped up in half an issue of their respective series would have been the Ultimates annual and to a lesser degree the UXM annual. I have to admit that the we can't quite pass judgement on the annuals yet, but unless the Inhumans play a major role in the Namor arc and/or Spidey's and Kitty's relationship plays a prominent role in future arcs these annuals might as well have not happened. I would say if gambit hadn't died, then this would also be true of the UXM annual.

DIrishB said:
I agree with this point, but I don't think its fair to call the Annuals fillers, merely because I think the idea of the Annuals came about before the actualy stories did. Because they're self-contained stories, it gives that impression of being a filler, and mainly because none were spectacular is that the case. But like you said about the Ultimates Annual, that one did the job the best.

I do not call any of the Annuals fillers. All of them have self-contained stories that connect to the upcoming events that will occur in the lives of the characters. The USM Annual gave Spidey a new girlfriend which is hardly insignificant. The UFF Annual introduced the Inhumans which Millar has already mentioned will tie into the Namor arc and the UXM Annual may have the least significance, but this has totally changed Rogue's life with the turmulous events that happen in the annual and you can't deny that. The Ultimates Annual has already been mentioned and the Reserves will play an integral part of SHIELD.

You can only call a comic a "filler" if you can totally forget about the entire story within it and it has absolutely no impact on future events. For example if USM Annual contained Spidey and Kitty's entire relationship and it ended at the issue's last page, I would consider that a filler. The Annuals weren't. I've read a couple of 90's annuals before and I know what can be considered fillers.

MaxwellSmart said:
I define "filler" as a storie(most likely one issue) that doesn't perminantly develop a character or storyline. One of the major standards I put on all arcs is how different would the series be if it hadn't happened. Since these Annuals were so supposed to be "events" I say that they should have been complex enough and important enough for an "event." By this measure I say that the only annual that couldn't have been wrapped up in half an issue of their respective series would have been the Ultimates annual and to a lesser degree the UXM annual. I have to admit that the we can't quite pass judgement on the annuals yet, but unless the Inhumans play a major role in the Namor arc and/or Spidey's and Kitty's relationship plays a prominent role in future arcs these annuals might as well have not happened. I would say if gambit hadn't died, then this would also be true of the UXM annual.

Um, Kitty will be appearing in the next USM arc, the Silver Sable arc, and most likely for awhile beyond as Pete's girlfriend. As you said, Gambit's dead and Rogue has his powers and apparently his voice in her head, so that's a major character development. The Ultimates Annual was definitly more of a side-story, but I think in regards to the overall series it helped flesh out Nick Fury much more, especially his motivations. There's some more character development right there. The UFF Annual I wasn't too fond of, but I can guarantee we'll see the Ultimate Inhumans again at some point. Not necessarily in any of the next few arcs though they are said to have a link to Atlantis, but eventually, at which point this Annual will be that much more relevant.

cmdrjanjalani said:
I do not call any of the Annuals fillers. All of them have self-contained stories that connect to the upcoming events that will occur in the lives of the characters. The USM Annual gave Spidey a new girlfriend which is hardly insignificant. The UFF Annual introduced the Inhumans which Millar has already mentioned will tie into the Namor arc and the UXM Annual may have the least significance, but this has totally changed Rogue's life with the turmulous events that happen in the annual and you can't deny that. The Ultimates Annual has already been mentioned and the Reserves will play an integral part of SHIELD.

You can only call a comic a "filler" if you can totally forget about the entire story within it and it has absolutely no impact on future events. For example if USM Annual contained Spidey and Kitty's entire relationship and it ended at the issue's last page, I would consider that a filler. The Annuals weren't. I've read a couple of 90's annuals before and I know what can be considered fillers.

Yup.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You saw it coming. What was the best Annual this year?

Honestly, I expected more from all of them. Millar dumbed down the Fantastic Four. Vaughan killed Gambit. Millar diverted our attention from the Ultimates to the Reserves, characters that I don't believe are necessary. Bendis made Shadowcat and Peter an item - this was expected. These are contained stories, but most of the people involved with them assured us that these were going to be significant. I don't think any of them really were.

UltimateE said:
Fury's Rule: if there isn't a body....

Exactly.

And he's still bopping around rogue's head...

So woof.

The USP Annual still makes me uber-happy.

Peter and MJ don't make sense to me, because she's careless about his secret identity, and can't possibly understand what he's going through... Kitty can.

So yeah.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Exactly.

And he's still bopping around rogue's head...

So woof.

The USP Annual still makes me uber-happy.

Peter and MJ don't make sense to me, because she's careless about his secret identity, and can't possibly understand what he's going through... Kitty can.

So yeah.

I think the differences between Peter and MJ are what is interesting about their relationship and helps add the drama though. Think about it, there's not much story element to a relationship thats all hunkey-dorey. I'm sure Bendis can find some drama between Pete and Kitty, but I think its a given eventually (and probably not too far in the future) Pete will end up back with MJ. Its one of those almost inevitable things, you know?

Dr.Strangefate said:

So yeah.

But that's how she's written. She's written flawed so that she can overcome the stupidity later on. Bendis writes her pretty good.

The annual was the second worst thing any comic book issue can be, filler.
if the annual was released right before the silver sable arc where they would be linking in the two would you be saying that? i think that really bendis probobly wanted to launch that around the same time as the SS arc but had no choice but to release it with the rest.

Spidey's and Kitty's relationship plays a prominent role in future arcs
Bendis has said that they'll be together for awhile.
i hope so!!

i agree, but there is one thing you can almost certainly garantee, peter & MJ WILL get back together. i would rather they used her sparingly for a while, let the whole peter/kitty thing run it's course then bring her back in, but have her as a rival for his affections with a few others e.g. black cat etc

OOOOHHHH YEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!! 50th post!!!!

Last edited:
Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
i agree, but there is one thing you can almost certainly garantee, peter & MJ WILL get back together. i would rather they used her sparingly for a while, let the whole peter/kitty thing run it's course then bring her back in, but have her as a rival for his affections with a few others e.g. black cat etc

I agree with that. I'd like to see the Peter/Kitty relationship last awhile, but in the end Pete belongs with MJ. I know that might be adhering a bit too much to 616, but thats the way the entire relationship has been set up since the first issue.

Latest posts

Back