Ultimate Bugle

compound

ourchair said:
I think you should precede this arc with a single issue story featuring Ultimate Jonah. I'm not sure, but to my knowledge he hasn't been given solo stories in USM like Aunt May has, and it could be an Ultimate take on a familiar story trope of "Spider-Man and the Marvel Universe through the eyes of...".

Problem is, I feel Jonah hasn't been sufficiently Ultimatized enough to deserve an issue all to himself, in the first place. Granted, a solo story might be a good excuse to develop him as a unique character. After all, he's working in the context of the Ultimate zeitgeist, where superhumanity is far more integrated into society-at-large than it was in 616.

However, there's another crucial stumbling block here: the two titles where 616 Jonah is a recurring character -- Pulse and Young Avengers -- have a setting that feels very 'Ultimate' already (for lack of a better word), even within the framework of existing Marvel continuity.

So, with that in mind, how would you execute an original Ultimate JJJ story?

You know, I really think that JJJ should have been the underling to (damn, don't know his name), the black guy who currently works under him.

It's very clear from the books that the assistant editor is far more qualified to be the editor, and would have been editor if only he was white. In this day and age, that isn't an issue as it was when spiderman first appeared. So the roles should have resolved themselves appropriately. Pity that they didn't.

Guijllons said:
You know, I really think that JJJ should have been the underling to (damn, don't know his name), the black guy who currently works under him.

I believe his name is Sam Robertson or Robinson.

Guijllons said:
It's very clear from the books that the assistant editor is far more qualified to be the editor, and would have been editor if only he was white. In this day and age, that isn't an issue as it was when spiderman first appeared. So the roles should have resolved themselves appropriately. Pity that they didn't.
I wouldn't be so certain. The assistant editor is certainly qualified but Ultimate JJJ, while still an ***, isn't quite a one dimensional idiot hack. He's focused on certain things but he is running a newspaper fairly successfully.

But he is a one dimensional reporter. Sam Robinson has suspicions about Peter Parker, whereas JJ has never seemed to look that far ahead.

But, if the roles were reversed, then the whole situation of the Daily Bugle hating Spider-Man's guts for no reason wouldn't really work out either.

But I do think that the Bugle as a whole could have done with a little more Ultimisation.

Guijllons said:
But I do think that the Bugle as a whole could have done with a little more Ultimisation.

This should have been addressed when USM first started, really. If it were Ultimized, at this point, it would inevitably attract unfavorable comparisons with Pulse, unless its tone shifts drastically from its existing representation.

Of course, we're now waaaay off topic :p

I'll leave it up to the mods to decide if a split is necessary.

compound said:
I'll leave it up to the mods to decide if a split is necessary.
If you want to continue discussing the Bugle, I'll split it off otherwise it'll be ok.

Guijllons said:
But he is a one dimensional reporter. Sam Robinson has suspicions about Peter Parker, whereas JJ has never seemed to look that far ahead.
ROBBIE! Robbie Robertson! (/Spider-Man geek mode)

But, if the roles were reversed, then the whole situation of the Daily Bugle hating Spider-Man's guts for no reason wouldn't really work out either.

Absolutely. My only problem really is that some aspects of Jemas/Bendis' Ultimatizations for USM weren't really as bold as they could've been, and as such, the idea that The Daily Bugle is a tabloid that trades itself on news of ill repute is a step in the right direction, but still missing something...

...probably because even the worst tabloids tend to be just as celebratory of what they criticize. To put it more lucidly, the trashiest rags on celebritiy gossip tend to LOVE and CELEBRATE Tinseltown's most glamorous as much as they run them into the ground, and there's no indication that the Ultimate Daily Bugle is anything like that.

Latest posts

Back