Ultimate Captain America mini-series

It will happen at some point I'm sure. Though it's not official yet.

What would it be about? Wartime story? Or Cap now? And what could he do that isn't part of the US masterplan? Will it be a solo mission that is little more than big fights, or something a bit more subtle?

Maybe we'll see this sometime after the Ultimate Iron Man mini wraps up. I'd like to see a mini of Ult. Hulk also, but I'd rather see this first. We may have to wait awhile though considering the Ult. IM mini has been extended to ten issues, and from the shipping schedules it looks like we may have a few months without Ult. IM shipping, so the earliest we'll probably see a Cap (or Hulk) mini would be sometime next year. Oh well, here's to hoping.

icemastertron said:
Nothing was ever said again after the brief announcement last summer.

Unless my memory is just going wonky - there was never an announcement. It was a rumor posted in Lying in the Gutters and may very well have been confused with Ultimate Secret (which Millar was supposedly supposed to be doing before Ellis took over).

No, I remember it was definitely announced as a future plan. San Diego Comic Con or something like that? I remember it was announced though. Might have gotten put aside to do UIM for now. But it could follow with their Origins-esque plans, especially if Wolverine wins that poll (and they actually decide to use the results), because they could publish all three under Ultimate Origins or somesuch. Do the story behind how Ultimate Steve Rogers became the Nazi-killing, Hank-smacking machine he is today.

jtg3885 said:
No, I remember it was definitely announced as a future plan. San Diego Comic Con or something like that? I remember it was announced though. Might have gotten put aside to do UIM for now. But it could follow with their Origins-esque plans, especially if Wolverine wins that poll (and they actually decide to use the results), because they could publish all three under Ultimate Origins or somesuch. Do the story behind how Ultimate Steve Rogers became the Nazi-killing, Hank-smacking machine he is today.

Link me if you have or can find one, but I'm pretty sure it was just a rumor, and an apparent misunderstood one at that.

I think it maybe just me. But cap doesn't strike me as being much more than he is.. a tool.
He's a 'person of mass destruction', he's a soldier.
I've known people who've come out of the army and back onto civvy street, and they aren't the same, they have massive trouble fitting in. perhaps that's part of the point of cap. The 'out of time' element works not just in the romantic era thinking as was first presumed.

But once a person has become something little more than a tool for killing, can they really have a story that will capture our interest?
And if it is his origins.. well, personally.. I don't care.

That's my point. I doubt he was like this to begin with. If he's anything like 616 Cap, he's far from being Chesty Puller or Audie Murphy when he gets into the program. That's why I'd like to see his origin story told.

As for the link, I coulda sworn it was brought up at San Diego Comic Con, but the links in the Ult. News forum are now dead.

Guijllons said:
If a story is to be told about cap then, then it's one of a man's downfall and dehumanisation. But willingly so.

But that will not sell.
And yet they've made a ten issue series out of the growth of a IUGM into a billionaire with a brain tumor. Five issues each out of Daredevil & Elektra, and Elektra solo. Five issues for the X-Men and Ultimates to dig to the center of a complex. You'd be amazed what sells.

I think Ed Brubaker's current run on the 616 Cap book is "Ultimate enough" already, in spirit. It qualifies as a modern retelling of the character, through a more grounded, mature lens ('mature' in the emotionally complex sense, not the t!ts-&-a$s 'Mature Readers' sense). The first arc has many extensive, gorgeous flashback scenes to World War 2 (described as "newsreel-like" in many reviews), rounding out his origin. It also throws in plenty of the more insane out-there elements of Marvel continuity: the evil Roxxon Corporation, Cap's 80s supporting cast, heck, even the Red Skull and the friggin' Cosmi Cube! But it handles these potentially goofy elements by applying them to a very real-world setting, for lack of a better phrase.

If there would be an Ultimate Cap mini-series, it would only serve to flesh out the details and particulars of his back-story, and how it ties into the larger role of the super-soldier project in the Ultimate universe. That might well be interesting, but it's hardly *necessary* at this point.

Again, if they put Logan on the front, they can sell anything.

I would be interested to see that story though. Cap has been used, all of his life, he was bullied, experimented on, thrown into war as a figurehead, brought back from the dead for chrissakes.

The guy doesn't know what's happened to his life. He's still the same weak kid on the inside that has let people use him for their own war games, whether it be in school or the treskillion.

Captain America is the stooge of the longest running gag in the 20th century and after.

Guijllons said:
Captain America is the stooge of the longest running gag in the 20th century and after.

Now that you put it *that* way, an Ultimate Cap mini sounds a whole lot more promising. Wow! I never thought I could be so easily sold on it.

I'm really not interested in an Ult Cap mini. If anything, give me an Ultimate Hulk or Ultimate Thor. There's a lot more depth, a lot more worth reading, with those two characters. Cap's badass in the Ults but alone he'de be awefully boring...IMO that is.

its true!!

jtg3885 said:

an ultimate cap america mini was rumored to be done and drawn by steve mcniven and an unknown writer in an issue of wizard, this is true....whatever became of that i dont know...but rest assured, when marvel runs out of ideas, that will be one of the first ones they suggest...

UltimateE said:
Unless my memory is just going wonky - there was never an announcement. It was a rumor posted in Lying in the Gutters and may very well have been confused with Ultimate Secret (which Millar was supposedly supposed to be doing before Ellis took over).

Nobody ever said that there was going to be an Ultimate Captain America series. I remember reading that Millar was involved in a project initaledl simply UCA and from there people just thought that it was going to be Ultimate Captain America, nobody said that it was going to be that.

René said:
Nobody ever said that there was going to be an Ultimate Captain America series. I remember reading that Millar was involved in a project initaledl simply UCA and from there people just thought that it was going to be Ultimate Captain America, nobody said that it was going to be that.

Right - it appeared in Lying in the Gutters. And I think the initials were something like UCALMS or something like that, and speculation was that it meant Ultimate Cap. America Limited/Mini Series. I don't remember the exact initals, but I'm 99% sure that LitG was the only place it was mentioned (or that no official announcement was made).

UltimateE said:
Right - it appeared in Lying in the Gutters. And I think the initials were something like UCALMS or something like that, and speculation was that it meant Ultimate Cap. America Limited/Mini Series. I don't remember the exact initals, but I'm 99% sure that LitG was the only place it was mentioned (or that no official announcement was made).

Yup, cause I think somebody posted it on the site too. I dont remember to well but it was something like that.

Latest posts

Back