Ultimate Comics Presents

Jferriell

Just curious...but what would you guys think if the 5th series was sort of like the old "Marvel Comics Presents" ? That way we could have stories about all these really cool differant characters. Maybe it wouldn't have to be small 3 stories in each issue like MCP but it could do arcs on characters...say 3 issues is a daredevil story, 4 issues is a Dr. Strange story etc etc.

Also it could also do stories to tie up loose ends or what not in the UU. My biggest wonder is what does Nick Fury does when he is off work. Does he ever go home? Does he have a home? Ah well...just an idea I had...

What do you all think? And what stories would you guys put in a series like this?

They'd have to get a really good writer.

I didn't really care for Ultimate Marvel Team Up, and what you're saying sounds a little like that, It doesn't seem to leave much room for Character developement if's just one short story after another.

But I could be wrong...

Ah hell no...UMTU sucked. Besides It was a book based on basic just team-ups with spiderman.

What I was sorta heading at was not necessarily a book to bring in New Ultimitazations. We have plenty of characters already that have had little to no character work done too. One only has too look at USM to get a list of them lol. But alot of characters don't also warrant there own monthly. Imagine an issue where it looks back on what Punisher was doing when he was chasing..ummm what was his name? shocker? in the issue of spiderman. What happened before and after that with Ole Frank Castle? What about a story that looks at things from the Villians side of it? Maybe a small arc on someone like the vulture or something.

We could do an arc on Deadpool. We could do arcs on a single individual from the ultimates or x-men. You know anything would be possible.

As far as a writer....who says you only need one. You could just have differant writers for each arc or somethin.

I'd kind of like to see some arc on what alot of the "b-list" type chracaters are doing during the galactus stuff...or how they react to whats going on in U2.

I dunno. Maybe its a good idea just thought up poorly. I wish I could just get one or two Ultimate comic books a week lol. The 4 series and various mini's just aren't enough for me anymore. It seems like lately I have been introduced to so many new characters "good and bad" and then they just sorta vanish. They could do so much with some of these guys in small story arcs of there own. A pipe dream perhaps...

MCP wasn't necessarily about Team-Ups. You guys have the entirely wrong impression.

MCP was golden back in the day, and under these terms and conditions, it would be so much better suited to the ULTIMATE universe, where the books are intentionally kept at a minimum. People want to read about their favorite characters, and they get a kick out of it when one of 'em's ultimized. I suggested an anthology book like MCP in one of the threads here on the board in my first few days here, and I stand by the statement. Not just ONE writer, but a team of writers, telling a two or three serialized tales every issue. One might have three parts or less, one might have ten... That's how the old MCP worked and I loved it.

Last edited:
Jferriell said:
Just curious...but what would you guys think if the 5th series was sort of like the old "Marvel Comics Presents" ? That way we could have stories about all these really cool differant characters. Maybe it wouldn't have to be small 3 stories in each issue like MCP but it could do arcs on characters...say 3 issues is a daredevil story, 4 issues is a Dr. Strange story etc etc.

Also it could also do stories to tie up loose ends or what not in the UU. My biggest wonder is what does Nick Fury does when he is off work. Does he ever go home? Does he have a home? Ah well...just an idea I had...

What do you all think? And what stories would you guys put in a series like this?

It's been brought up before. I wouldn't mind it but I would feel very cheated only because I want a series that centered around a specific character(s).

I wouldn't like it. The UU is very much event-oriented, and I don't think a series like that (which I do think would be very much like UMTU) would fit very well.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they did somethig like that though.

Ice said:
It would seem just like UMTU, just minus the TU's.

That's what it seems like to me too. I could come out really good, but it could also come out really bad. I don't think there's any room for a middle ground, just one extreme or another.

The original Marvel Comics Presents wasn't all team-up oriented. Where do you think we got the WEAPON X story from? We're not talking ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP here, as I tried to say before, we're talking an anthology book ULTIMATE MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS... You guys keep orienting back on TEAM-UP and it wouldn't be like that at all. Just like the manga companies do overseas, chapters of a larger story collected issue-by-issue, with a bunch of different stories happening in the same book. SHONEN JUMP has had massive success with this formula. Marvel has too, really, and with so many different opportunities to tell so many stories, some of the background characters or villains everybody's railing on Bendis for coming up with but not fleshing out COULD be fleshed out.

Think of it as a book of 10- to 15-page backups.

jeremiahvedder said:
The original Marvel Comics Presents wasn't all team-up oriented. Where do you think we got the WEAPON X story from? We're not talking ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP here, as I tried to say before, we're talking an anthology book ULTIMATE MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS... You guys keep orienting back on TEAM-UP and it wouldn't be like that at all.
Ice said:
It would seem just like UMTU, just minus the TU's.
It would still be a comic with a rotating cast moving from character to character.
jeremiahvedder said:
Think of it as a book of 10- to 15-page backups.
I actually think the idea of an anthology comic could work, but wasn't Marvel Comics Presents a single story each issue? I figured there would be one story per arc, hence
Jferriell said:
3 issues is a daredevil story, 4 issues is a Dr. Strange story etc etc.
Basically UMTU without as Ice said the "Team-Up".

Last edited:
It could work, but it would get boring after a while.

Latest posts

Back