Ultimate costumes, which ones worked, which ones didn't and what should be changed?

Re: Ultimate costumes, which ones worked, which ones didn't and what should be change

just the day?

Hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

And don't call me a horse.

Re: Ultimate costumes, which ones worked, which ones didn't and what should be change

Hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

And don't call me a horse.

I'm your dentist, dammit!

Maybe YOU shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Horse dentists are hard to find.

Edit: Anyway, the solution to the X-Men pouch problem is to have them all carry messenger bags. X-MESSENGER BAGS FOR EVERYONE!

Last edited:

That was the point. They weren't superhero uniforms. They were "people" uniforms, to show the world that they were not threats.

Well the X-Men don't need costumes, they don't have an iconic look like Spider-Man.

Anyway to be fair to the UU, most of the Ultimates looked cool. Cap was a nice streamlined version of the 616 Cap, taking all the good elements, while leaving out some of the sillier things (like the wings). Thor looked less boyish and more like a warrior. Most the Liberators were decent redesigns of some obscure villains.

I gotta say one thing though, Ultimate Electro looks kinda boring, he lacks any flare or style.

Now Bruce Timm, he knew about make villains look scary, creepy or just more interesting:

Last edited:

The Ultimate Fantastic Four have had costumes which I consider better than most of their 616 costumes.

I liked Ultimate Beast's uniform.

Everyone from Ultimates had good suits except for Wasp's second suit and Scarlett Witch.

Ultimate Psylocke's new uniform might be the actual worst costume in the whole UU.

The Ultimate Fantastic Four have had costumes which I consider better than most of their 616 costumes.
I think generally speaking it's really hard to **** up a Fantastic Four costume.

First of all, they have to have a coordinated fashion ensemble, which isn't what you have for The Avengers, which is essentially an eclectic group of the best of the best. As a a result, Hercules looks completely out of place next to Sersi or Spider-Woman.

Second, there is an actual aesthetic rule in place --- it just needs to be blue, and have a 4 on it somewhere --- whereas the X-Men don't really have any kind of rule, sure there have been X's but they break that rule as often as they apply it.

This isn't to say that there haven't been any bad Fantastic Four costumes in the past --- the infamous 4-gap on Susan's boob is probably more idiotic than what Power Girl has had to endure. But at the very least, there is 1) the maintenance of the aesthetic and 2) the general lack of exceptions to the rule.

As such, most of the costumes that look 'bad' now are really just dated fashion concepts that have been replaced with modern line-work and patterns. I love the fact that Ultimate Sue has a jacket and shirt ensemble, and wish more artists would actively go in that kind of design direction.

Or maybe Bryan Hitch is just that awesome.

I agree.

I wish they would have done an arc about them being made from unstable molecules. They could have borrowed a few things from Mark Waid, because he handled that masterfully.

Everyone from Ultimates had good suits except for Wasp's second suit and Scarlett Witch.

I thought Scarlet Witch's was WAY better than her 616/current costume, and that idiotic headpiece.

And the cape. Ugh. Nobody except Superman, Sentry, or Batman should have a cape.

Regarding Ock, the trench coat is an improvement over the jump suit, but I still think this is Ock's best look

doctor_octopus1001.jpg

Ock just looks silly in spandex, especially the out of shape 616 version.

droc00.jpg

Trench coat is good, business suit is better and spandex is the worst. Ock doesn't need a costume, the bowl cut, shades and robot arms are enough of a trade mark.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back