Ultimate Crisis

Matt Linton

I give it five years before we get an Ultimate Crisis, where Marvel has the Ultimate universe/continuity take over the 616. If they do so, I hope they do it better than DC did. Here's what I would do. Ultimate X-Men, Spider-Man, FF, and Ultimates continue. This covers all the major bases for the Marvel universe. Solo books spin out of these, based on the Ultimate continuity (Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, Thor, Daredevil, Punisher, Dr. Strange, etc.). This allows Marvel to publish close to the same number of books, while streamlining their comics to make them more accessible, and more in line with their other media incarnations (notice how much closer the Spider-Man films, X-Men films, and the latest video games and cartoons (the upcoming FF cartoon, the Ultimates DVDs) are to the Ultimate versions of the characters than they are to the 616 universe.

While many readers say they'd quit reading Marvel comics if they ever did this, I doubt most of them really would. Crisis didn't kill the DC, and an Ultimate Crisis wouldn't kill Marvel.

Matt Linton

Hmm, not sure I agree with your idea with lots of seperate books.

But welcome! I'm also on Millarworld as one of the many "Craig's".

Yeah, I'm Matt Linton over there :D

Caught your (Luis C) link on the X-Men Legends 2 thread so I thought I'd check this place out. Looks pretty cool. I'll probably post some reviews later tonight.

Matt Linton

Welcome Matt!

As Millar said (paraphrasing) "it'll never happen because this way they get to sell Avengers twice a month".

On the other hand, I am curious. Does this five year timeframe include the inevitable and alarming numerous delays that will face the Ultimate Crisis?

Matt Linton said:

Caught your (Luis C) link on the X-Men Legends 2 thread so I thought I'd check this place out. Looks pretty cool. I'll probably post some reviews later tonight.

Matt Linton
Awesome! Great to have you here, Matt!

There's a thread in the SITE NEWS forum where you can introduce yourself in the Who'ss Who thread, so drop by there whenever possible for you!

Again, Welcome!

Matt Linton said:

Matt Linton

Not much bloody choice though, is there?

Bass said:
Welcome Matt!

As Millar said (paraphrasing) "it'll never happen because this way they get to sell Avengers twice a month".

On the other hand, I am curious. Does this five year timeframe include the inevitable and alarming numerous delays that will face the Ultimate Crisis?

Right now, yeah, but down the road when (if) they think they can get more readers by keeping things simpler? Say someone sees X-Men, thinks "I want to read an X-Men comic" walks into a comic book store and sees 5 comics with the word X-Men on the title and says "nevermind". Or actually picks one up, and finds out it has absolutely nothing to do with the movie, and in fact has a 50 year backstory.

Plus, people are leaving comics faster than they're coming in, so the need to cater to the existing fanbase over potential new readers decreases every year.

Matt Linton

Matt Linton said:
Huh?

Matt Linton

Matt Linton. You put it at the end of each posts, reminding me of.... well, I won't say it, cuz it's starting to get on everyone's nerves. Welcome Matt.

Oh what the hell, MATT DAMON!!!

ProjectX2 said:
Well, we have to have our real name.

Oh, yeah. I actually started doing it, oddly enough, because of a John Byrne rant about people posting on the net and not using their real names, thereby not standing behind what they write. I figured, okay, and now I use my name everywhere. The signing my name at the end thing...I don't know why I do that, but it's such a habit it be a pain to stop now.

Matt Linton

I find the Matt Damon thing less annoying than the Box Office thing.

Bass said:

...without having to have one of them be West Coast Avengers!

Matt Linton said:
Oh, yeah. I actually started doing it, oddly enough, because of a John Byrne rant about people posting on the net and not using their real names, thereby not standing behind what they write. I figured, okay, and now I use my name everywhere. The signing my name at the end thing...I don't know why I do that, but it's such a habit it be a pain to stop now.

Welcome Matt. Heh...I made a funny.

Seriously, welcome though. :D

Latest posts

Back