Ultimate Defenders idea

Willverine

I've been re-reading Uv2 this week, putting all the pieces together and filling in any blanks the delays left me with.

After reading Ultimates v2 #6, I thought about them all congregating in that one apartment and the "Real World" nature of it. Then, I remembered a few episodes of Stan Lee's show on Spike TV "So You Wanna Be A Superhero?".

The idea jumped out at me. After the Liberators' invasion of the US, I would imagine superhero hype will be widespread. Some ambitious TV exec decides to cash in on it, and launches a nationwide casting call for a superhero-based reality show. The Defenders, being the outlandish characters that most seem to be, would be naturals and make up at least most of the cast.

To add some intrigue, the aforementioned TV exec could just be a SHIELD plant (or, if not SHIELD, an organization with more sinister intentions) who launched the show for the purposes of containing, training and getting the Defenders battle-ready.

The show would become a huge success, toppling all the competition in the ratings and elevating the individual Defenders to the role of superstardom. Aside from reality TV stardom and possible superhero adventures, Valkyrie would release her own supersexy pop album, Luke Cage would release his own fitness home videos (think Tae-Bo), Son of Satan could finally get his goth/metal band a record deal, Nighthawk would have his own comic book series and action figure line (out of that group, you can tell he's the biggest fanboy. this would be his wet dream.), Black Knight would use his fame to put his new RPG adventure game on the market (or whatever).

I really enjoyed these characters, I think it would be a shame just to let them go after Uv2#6, especially Luke Cage. I think this would be an interesting way to bring them back and even transform them from superhero wannabes into bonafide heroes.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah, he was the only one getting a beatdown from the Liberators' foot soldiers. Goes to show he's got some balls, though, which could play to his favor in the future.

I've been re-reading Uv2 this week, putting all the pieces together and filling in any blanks the delays left me with.

After reading Ultimates v2 #6, I thought about them all congregating in that one apartment and the "Real World" nature of it. Then, I remembered a few episodes of Stan Lee's show on Spike TV "So You Wanna Be A Superhero?".

The idea jumped out at me. After the Liberators' invasion of the US, I would imagine superhero hype will be widespread. Some ambitious TV exec decides to cash in on it, and launches a nationwide casting call for a superhero-based reality show. The Defenders, being the outlandish characters that most seem to be, would be naturals and make up at least most of the cast.

To add some intrigue, the aforementioned TV exec could just be a SHIELD plant (or, if not SHIELD, an organization with more sinister intentions) who launched the show for the purposes of containing, training and getting the Defenders battle-ready.

The show would become a huge success, toppling all the competition in the ratings and elevating the individual Defenders to the role of superstardom. Aside from reality TV stardom and possible superhero adventures, Valkyrie would release her own supersexy pop album, Luke Cage would release his own fitness home videos (think Tae-Bo), Son of Satan could finally get his goth/metal band a record deal, Nighthawk would have his own comic book series and action figure line (out of that group, you can tell he's the biggest fanboy. this would be his wet dream.), Black Knight would use his fame to put his new RPG adventure game on the market (or whatever).

I really enjoyed these characters, I think it would be a shame just to let them go after Uv2#6, especially Luke Cage. I think this would be an interesting way to bring them back and even transform them from superhero wannabes into bonafide heroes.

Interesting but what would do they on their show and what would the Defenders to be secretly preparing to fight? Most 616 Defender villains are either insanely powerful or hoplessly pathetic. IRemmber the Defenders have no powers, so there is a limit to out they can face. Some of the defenders villains could be revamped into actors hired to be jobbers that the defenders beat up (like the Headmen: http://www.geocities.com/marvel_megalomaniac/headmen/headmen.html in the ultimate universe they could just be actors, either mutants who are deformed and have no powers or people in costumes). After a while they can work their up to fighting really lame criminals, like the Ringer, then perhaps they can get experience to get someone who is somewhat threatening.

C'mon, a group of untrained heroes with a reality tv show. What could possibly go wrong? It's not like it would spark some big huge crossover event.

C'mon, a group of untrained heroes with a reality tv show. What could possibly go wrong? It's not like it would spark some big huge crossover event.

Well if you want to make things interesting, they could run into some real dangerous characters and do a show fighting them, instead of actors pretending to be villains.

So you're thinking of the Ultimate version of the latest New Warriors mini? That would be interesting.

So you're thinking of the Ultimate version of the latest New Warriors mini? That would be interesting.

That's what I was thinking. It's a shame that Marvel took the route they did with New Warriors because I genuinely liked the mini and was totally digging Young's art.

I see the comparison between this idea and the New Warriors mini... okay.

Throw the Taskamster into the mix as a trainer and maybe someone like the Powerbroker (remember the Super Patriot arc from Captain America comics) and the Defenders' reality show might actually mean something in the UU. Think of it as part Real World, part Survivor, part American Idol and part So You Wanna Be A Superhero.

New Warriors' reality show was more of a COPS style show, with a camera crew following their crimefighting adventures.

Also, you could throw a few 616 Defenders characters into this. Namor, for example. He could whip on the UU Defenders until Valkyrie catches his eye, for example, then carry on a brief romantic encounter with her to not only give the Ultimate Defenders some credibility but to boost ratings of their TV show. Dr. Strange could show up and call them crazy for ever expecting he'd back them up. Etc, etc.

Also, you could throw a few 616 Defenders characters into this. Namor, for example. He could whip on the UU Defenders until Valkyrie catches his eye, for example, then carry on a brief romantic encounter with her to not only give the Ultimate Defenders some credibility but to boost ratings of their TV show. Dr. Strange could show up and call them crazy for ever expecting he'd back them up. Etc, etc.

Do you really think that Valkyrie thing would happen? I think it is highly unlikely but it could work, but only because it seems that Namor likes blondes :D. The reason I don't think it would work out is because Namor wants a strong girlfriend like Sue, not some hot non-superpowered girl.

The only way this would work is if people like Namor didn't show up.

I see the comparison between this idea and the New Warriors mini... okay.

Throw the Taskamster into the mix as a trainer and maybe someone like the Powerbroker (remember the Super Patriot arc from Captain America comics) and the Defenders' reality show might actually mean something in the UU. Think of it as part Real World, part Survivor, part American Idol and part So You Wanna Be A Superhero.

New Warriors' reality show was more of a COPS style show, with a camera crew following their crimefighting adventures.

I still think some of the Defenders 616 foes, like the Headmen should be used as actors who pretend to be super villains on the show. it be funny if they act like over the top super villains in the show, then act like whiney actors off camrea. Plus it be interesing when then the defenders take on a real threat on their show, like perhaps on Ultimate version of the Sons of Serpent:
http://www.geocities.com/marvel_villains/serpent/serpent.html

I would do an Ultimate Spider-Man story that contains Ultimate Defenders :)
That would be Ultimately funny and exciting to read :)
(USM Annual #3) why not??

That fat guy from the Defenders goes to the bank to pay the bills, Herman aka The Schocker breaks in and tries to rob the bank.Of course naturally this kind of things take some time.Spidey enters the bank , makes a few lame jokes about shocker, Herman gets angry and somehow shocks Spidey.The fat defender somehow hits Herman with something hard and takes him down.

Spidey comes to himself , talks to the defender , makes a few more jokes and swings away , all the media focuses on the fat defender , he starts bragging about how he beats Shocker , how he saved everyone in the bank while even spider-man failed.And finally he tells everyone he has a team of super hero wannabes.

That night someone from some tv comes to the house of the defenders , offering them a TV show.

*This is just an idea.And it just came up , if anyone likes even a little part of it , or if anyone hates a part of it , tell me abut it so we can modify.

Latest posts

Back