Ultimate Fantastic Four # 17 discussion (spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
How come on other websites people are saying that this issue was "bleh". I so totally thought it rocked.

I thought it was bleh too. Nice action out of Ben but overall...bleh.

icemastertron said:
Thing was the MAN of this issue! I totally love him, how he acted and all. We FINALLY got the cloberring time line, and how he ripped Nihil's wing off....damn, that was cool!

I flipped through the issue, i liked some parts, would have been better had i actually read what was going on in the comic store...

and whats up with the saved by the bell-like pic in your sig??? the quote was waaaaaaaaay better...

TheManWithoutFear said:
So says the guy who doesn't think Apocolypse is real :roll:

Not sure what one has to do with the other...but yeah, that's right.

One of my favorite parts in the issue was when Reed explains how/what their guns work/do and the Thing doesn't understand and just asks again what it does. (Old I know but still funny.) :D

Well, I just got the issue, and, as I've promised, I have stayed out of the discussion until I've read it to avoid spoilers. Have fun without my silly remarks about something that's probably going to end up wrong?

First of all, let me start by saying that I really enjoyed the issue (Well, kind of). I thought that the writing was awesome and the characters were terrific, especially Ben who seemed to take the cake this time around. His little comments about everything that was going on seemed to be perfect. I also liked Reed, who seems to be getting used to this super hero thing pretty fast. I like that about him. He can definitely think on his feet. The only thing character-wise that I don't like is that Johnny is on his death bed. With him not included in the equation, the Fantastic Four seems a little off-kilter, if you will. I hope he comes back soon.

Secondly, the action was extremely impressive. It played out like an elaborate space epic that I really, really enjoyed reading. Here we've got suspense with Reed's face getting sucked about while Ben takes care of Annihulus and his minions and all that stuff and, meanwhile, we've got Sue erging them to leave. In terms of entertainment, this issue won big with me.

The only thing that I can really complain about is how obscure the setting, the N Zone is. I know this is a comic book, but if we're trying to keep the UU as realistic as possible this is a little bit of a turn off. It's completely irrelevant to what I think the FF should be doing, but that's just me. If I were Kubert I would have at least made it look similar to our universe and stuff like that and make it less like Aliens, which I don't really appreciate art-wise. Hopefully, the next issue will be better since it looks like it will be back in our universe.

Also, is Warren Ellis' last issue a standalone?

It's alright. #19-20: Mike Carey's two part arc.

Also, GW, I'm not saying you're wrong on the alien space station comment of yours, but I would like if you would elobarate on it, if you would. I would like to know more on your thoughts of that.

I didn't say anything about the space station, but the entire universe. I thought that the whole universe hopping deal was stupid and I really didn't like how it diverted from that and getting their regular states back to this space epic with Annihulus pulling out all the stops to get back to a suitable universe. I think that's stupid. I think our speculation that Annihulus would comprise of all of the states that the Four could've turned into would've been better and it would've rounded out Ellis' run better because he spent a lot of time explaining their powers and, if that isn't resolved, it would be waste of time to have all of those explanations take place.

Latest posts

Back