Ultimate Fantastic Four #38 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
The conclusion...

New York and the other dimension did not get fused together physically. It's some form of astral projection, done by Ronan, so that the inhabitants of both worlds can witness the trial. The FF ask Ronan why there's a trial at all if they're already assumed guilty and Ronan goes on about rituals.

The Fantastic Four try in vein to fight Ronan off but he has in his power "the universal weapon" a stick that from the looks of it counters all the attacks made on it.

The Seed Children come to the rescue. The fight seems to head towards a stalemate and Ronan is pretty unstoppable until Terresact (sp?) finally wakes up (*This is the character whose been unconscious since issue #1 of this arc). At first he thinks he's supposed to fight aligned with Ronan but Dreamcatcher unlocks his actual memories and erases the the brainwashing Thanos did on him. He fights Ronan and begins to beat him but in the end is defeated. Reed then tells Dreamcatcher to do what he did with Johnny and Sue only this time combine everyone's powers. With their powers in unison Ronan drops the weapon and the group lays a beat down on him... Thing picks up the weapon and lays the final blow and he is defeated. As they're saying their goodbyes one of the seed children come on to Reed and explain is seed is too valuable to waste. Sue tells her off and his seed is none of her business. The worlds begin to seperate again but the FF are concerned about what lies ahead for The Seed 9 children. They explain that they're now able to contact farther worlds in their dimension and they'll have backup as the page shows various superhumanoid figures descending. They warn Reed that Thanos won't forget this...

Back in the Baxter building Reed is working on the cosmic cube... The others wonder why but Reed tells them it's just incase Thanos or anyone attacks and that it won't be a weapon as much as a "reset button". He says he doesn't know why he keeps going back to the design Thanos gave him but he's settled on it... The last page shows an astral projection of Thano's head over Reed grinning...

4/5

Great arc. Good art. I'm pleased with Carey's work here.

4/5

Great arc. Good art. I'm pleased with Carey's work here.
Will agree. I thought this was a great conclusion and really well done overall.

The issue made CBR's must buy pile, and they had posted this:

Ultimate Ronan has come to render judgement, and that's almost never a good thing. The team and their otherdimensional adolescent allies have to somehow fight against the son of Ultimate Thanos and his relentlessly powerful Universe Weapon. This leads to a complicated fight that's part magic, part science and part beat down, all rendered lovingly and fascinatingly by Pasqual Ferry. The idea that it gives Reed will add another classic Marvel element to the Ultimate universe, and Mike Carey has brought a level of stupefying wonder to this title that is wholly refreshing. What's next?

Last edited:
oooo... Sounds good. I'll have to pick this up.

I'm really digging Carey's run. I think it might turn out better than Millar's.

I hope that Pasqual will return after Mark Brooks' three issue stint. I'd hate for there to be a rotating number of artists like in Ultimate X-Men.

I thought this was a decent end to a good arc.

I'm not so familiar with the cosmic cube (Marvel Team-Up was my only exposure to it), but I don't want to be referred to Wikipedia; what did Reed mean by "reset button"?

4/5

DJF, I think of the cosmic cube as a deus ex machina in physical form - it can do anything you want it to, pretty much.

I just read the whole arc. It was pretty good, but the number of new characters with the strange names and the weird story kind of caught me off guard... I didn't have much idea of what was going on. Good art by Ferry though, and Carey can write the Fantastic Four pretty good. I'm glad to see that Thanos and the Cosmic Cube will be a lingering plot...

I'm looking forward to Diablo and the time travel and the alchemists, but not Mark Brooks. I'm not a fan.

While I had a negative opinion of this arc when it started, overall it was one of the best the Ultimate Universe has seen in a long, long time.

I can't wait for the Hardcover to be released in 2009:roll: :roll:

I can't wait for the Hardcover to be released in 2009:roll: :roll:

The Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk thread is in another subforum, dude. :wink:

Kidding aside, I still enjoy Millar's run more but it may be too many new characters caught me off-guard. Really anticipating the Diablo arc.

This was a very good arc. Best one of the series.

The ultimate cosmic cube. The way Reed explained it, it somehow works.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

I'm thinking the Cosmic Cube will be the reason UFF continuity is so screwed up. Reed calling it a "reset button" really seems to scream it. If that's ture, then this is the only thing I see this arc worth.

But I'll be generous to the ish. 3.5/5.

this was a great arc, im sad to see ferry leaving this book, even though i really like brooks, he's a horrible fit for this book

4/5

I'm thinking the Cosmic Cube will be the reason UFF continuity is so screwed up. Reed calling it a "reset button" really seems to scream it. If that's ture, then this is the only thing I see this arc worth.

Carey gains massive bonus points if this is true.

The cosmic cube fixing continuity is a damn interesting theory. I like it. I like it a lot.

:D Also, am I the only one excited about this Diablo plot coming up?

The cosmic cube fixing continuity is a damn interesting theory. I like it. I like it a lot.

:D Also, am I the only one excited about this Diablo plot coming up?

I'm interested in the story, but not the art.

Despite my XTREME H8 for God War, I am actually looking foward to the next arc. I've always had a thing for time travel and I think I'll appeciated Carey's work more if away from introducing uber-powerful Ultimate-exclusive characters and alternate dimensions (although as Crossover and N-Zone showed, it can be done well; this one just wasn't imo.)

The art is grade A fugly, though. Just look at Sue on the front cover of the next issue... :sick:

Last edited:
Oh.

Still disgusting.

EDIT: Ooooooh, Mark Brooks from New X-Men. Well, I retract my statement. I love his art. His style's great. The way he draws guys is pretty cute, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back