Ultimate Fantastic "Meh"

E

Excelsior Club
Am I the only one completely uninterested in this book?

I enjoyed the first arc, and Ellis's run was pretty good. I loved the Millar/Land run. But God War was so uninteresting that I couldn't even make it through the first issue, and I just find myself totally uninterested in the current arc - as I type this, I can't even remember what it's about.

I don't think Mike Carey is a horrible writer, but there is just nothing interesting or appealing to me about this book right now. I haven't even tried to read an issue since part one of God War.

Am I the only one who just doesn't care about this book right now? Anyone else?

I stopped reading after God War. I don't care anymore.

I got the same feeling from the Diablo arc. It was like, "What? That's it? That's the end?" Of course, you don't want everything to be ZOMG EARTH-SHATTERING, it's just that we didn't learn anything new about the characters or have any really stunning plot twists like with the zombies. It was just... meh.

You read all of God War?

Well, I downloaded it all at once so it was like a trade. It was alright, but it was just Fourth World put into the Fantastic Four.

I stopped reading halfway through Millar's run. The series just seemed to be getting too ridiculous and I was getting tired of Land's art. Plus, I felt guilty about giving any percentage of my money towards Land. I don't really support plagarism.

Ellis's run was excellent though. The first Ellis book I ever read, I believe.

I stopped reading halfway through Millar's run. The series just seemed to be getting too ridiculous and I was getting tired of Land's art.

I really liked the way the zombies and Doom came together (that was Millar, right?) but the Namor arc was unworthy of Namor's greatness. It's not that I don't like Ultimate Namor, but they didn't do anything with him and... wait, was that where you stopped reading? Because the Namor arc was typical Millar over-the-top technology, with the Ultimates Babies (is Reed turning into Mojo?) and robot that can be whatever Reed wants.

Plus, I felt guilty about giving any percentage of my money towards Land. I don't really support plagarism.

Good for you. I hate Land so much. It's particularly painful that he stayed on for three or four arcs while good artists like Immonen left after just one.

I really liked the way the zombies and Doom came together (that was Millar, right?) but the Namor arc was unworthy of Namor's greatness. It's not that I don't like Ultimate Namor, but they didn't do anything with him and... wait, was that where you stopped reading?
Yeah. The zombie stuff was great, but Namor was just ****.
Good for you. I hate Land so much. It's particularly painful that he stayed on for three or four arcs while good artists like Immonen left after just one.
I'm surprised no one other than the fans have called him out about copying pictures and what-not. The man has no artistic integrity whatsoever.

I'm surprised no one other than the fans have called him out about copying pictures and what-not. The man has no artistic integrity whatsoever.

There was some discussion of it on the variant cover of Ultimates 2 #13 thread because I brought up Wasp's dancing as a proof that Land's disease was spreading. It's probably been mentioned in Ultimate Power threads. I hate his art more than Liefeld art because it's like the difference between evil and incompetence. Filthy tracer.

I loved Millar's run the most. I even love Land. I don't care that he copies pictures or whatever. It still looks great and that's what matters.

I loved Millar's run the most. I even love Land. I don't care that he copies pictures or whatever. It still looks great and that's what matters.
But he traces. Any 3rd grader can trace a picture. Why does he deserve to be paid for it? He even traces other artists' art.

Not only that, but he has absolutely no sense of storytelling. He has like, 5 different stock page layouts that he uses for EVERY SINGLE PAGE.

"I'm going to spice things up a bit, by doing slanted panels! How innovative!"

*tracetracetrace*

Go get a 3rd tracer to trace as good as Land then, if that's all he does.

I cannot disagree with you enough. A search on "Tracing" turned up no similar threads, so I have started a thread in General Comics Discussion for this debate rather than derail this topic.

But he traces. Any 3rd grader can trace a picture. Why does he deserve to be paid for it? He even traces other artists' art.

Not only that, but he has absolutely no sense of storytelling. He has like, 5 different stock page layouts that he uses for EVERY SINGLE PAGE.

"I'm going to spice things up a bit, by doing slanted panels! How innovative!"

*tracetracetrace*

Word.

I stopped reading anything Ultimate the moment I dumped UFF after "Tomb of Namor". I do plan to pick up "President Thor" and "Frightful" since E says thy're great, but Carey's work just bored me to tears when flipping through it at the LCS, and the fact that they can't hold down a stable art team is just painful.

Okay, the first sentence is a lie. I'm still picking up Ultimates 2. But only because I have 12 issues already and I'm just resigned to finishing it.

I miss the days when I actually couldn't stop posting about the Fantastic Four here.

President Thor's alright, but pretty much pointless at the end. Frightful is worth reading just because Doom proves why he's awesome.

the UU as a whole is meh, they lost a lot of direction in the past year or two. Hopefully FF can get out of their slump, which is nowhere near as bad as USM's

I stopped Ultimate Fantastic Four during Millar's President Thor arc. It was just crap. It was supposed to be 'crazy' and jam-packed with 'outrageous concepts' but was in fact, a rehash of every episode of Star Trek I've seen. Mark Millar is a writer who writes pretty cool action adventure with moving vehicles and flaming bridges. He doesn't do crazy sci-fi well at all. His mind just doesn't seem hardwired in a way that lets him create new worlds and strange devices. That's not to say he's bad, but he seemed incapable of doing what he wanted to do with F4.

For a second time. His original run with Bendis was dire.

And I haven't picked it up since. The only runs I liked on it were Ellis. I never read Carey's run but I did like his two-part Mad Thinker story after Ellis.

Latest posts

Back