Ultimate Iron Man #2 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
It's not all bad but I don't really feel right about the whole thing. There's some twisted Science Fiction elements (The Lid) that I think is cheapening Tony Stark's entire character. The kid was blue the first four years of his life... mmmhmmm. I am enjoying the whole battle between Stark's father and Zebediah. That's pretty cool and shows a lot about Stark's father and just how clever he is being. Stane already has created a monster through his son who will probably be appearing later in the 2 part minis. I'll keep reading because it's Ultimate but I just have this vibe like Card is bordering the line and is willing to cross it to make this look really stupid.

Spade said:
ok i never relli read iron man i would c one an i would get into it, but i am buyin the ultimate so i dont know who Stane is would anyone like 2 fill me in plez?? (i think its crimson D. but not sure)

Dude I dont know if this has been told to you before or not, but it's hard to understand your posts. As far as Stane goes, I think he is in 616 Marvel but I have no idea who he is.

I thought Issue #1 was uneven at best, with some strange choices in pacing and time jumps. It's been long enough that I had to go back and re-read issue #1 to figure out who some of the people in Issue #2 even WERE or why coating the baby made any sense at all. I like the art and the colors very well, but I am not crazy about the plot, nor do I like the strange, jumpy feel it has, as though the plot has been heavily edited and the transition that would have helped us get from scene to scene have been cut.

There are a number of "wtf?" plot revelations - such as the brain-damaged former henchman of Stark's at the dock waiting for them. That made no sense. He couldn't have gotten there on his own and if Stane sent him, why didn't he have an entire herd of evil henchmen waiting for Stark and the sailboat to dock? Or, if he's been tracking the boat at sea as suggested by Stark, it'd have been a lot easier just to stop the boat and board it.

And no one is supposed to notice a little blue bald boy with toxic skin in suburbia? Huh?

All in all, a fairly dissappointing issue, though I have the feeling that Card is just getting warmed up. And, again, Kubert, Miki and Isanove do a GREAT job.

Last edited:
Spade said:
Does anyone know who the villian will be? or will they save that for the second arc and have the first be an origin story?
OMG! YOU FOUND GRAMMAR!!!!!!

Anyways, not sure if there's an actual villain. Maybe Stane can be accounted as such, to a degree.

Spade said:
Does anyone know who the villian will be? or will they save that for the second arc and have the first be an origin story?

I don't think anybody knows where this is going or how long it'll take to get there. Many of Card's novels deal with precocious, gifted adolescents/teens though, it's a topic he likes, so it could be some time before we get to adult Tony, or even the Iron Man in a suit we know.

Rhyo said:
I don't think anybody knows where this is going or how long it'll take to get there. Many of Card's novels deal with precocious, gifted adolescents/teens though, it's a topic he likes, so it could be some time before we get to adult Tony, or even the Iron Man in a suit we know.
I'm trying to find what I remember reading somewhere but I believe the gist was that the first series/arc/whatever is about Tony as a child and the second deals more with Tony in the business world and the Suit

Spade said:

*Sigh* I know you're new but I'm disappointed that no one has the energy to explain to you what has been found. So here I go for the 3rd time...

There is a 616 Iron Man villain known as The Master or Iron Monger. This is Obadiah Stane.

So we have Zebadiah as Howard Stark's nemisis. We also know that he has a child that he's already neglecting. Dysfunctional upbringing anyone? I think you know where we're going with this Obadiah's probably going to be a thorn in Tony Stark's side at some point.

Obadiah Stane

For more, click on the link above.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Also take notice that 616 Stark's name is Anthony... Ultimate Tony is short for Antonio...

ANTHONY
T ONY.

Tony is short for both. Anthony and Antonio. My middle name is Antonio.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You know I really do need a drink tonight... :oops:

If you do try and get me one too. But dont try to make it a habit like Tony Stark.

bad joke... Im sorry.

I'm really jumpy with this story. There are so many times where Card really describes the science but sometimes the science is just so bad, the plotholes are really irritating me. And the net gun that Howard used made me want to check if this was an ultimate book. I'm considering not letting a friend of mine who likes Card read this.

TheManWithoutFear said:
It's not all bad but I don't really feel right about the whole thing.

EXACTLY how I feel about it. The story itself is actually pretty good. I'm enjoying it. But it just isn't fitting for Tony Stark. I can't even describe why it seems that way - it's just not right. It doesn't fit. His origin doesn't need a ton of sci-fi mumbo jumbo.

But like I said, it is a good story. I'm not seeing the plot holes Ultxon is talking about; in just 2 issues Card has shown that nothing we're seeing is a closed door plot-wise; I don't know how anyone can complain this early about plot holes.

I liked the twist with Tony ending up owning the bio armor.

Latest posts

Back