Ultimate Iron-Man #3 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 27.3%

Votes: 5 45.5%

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I was hopeing that this would bring the mini back to some kind of interest to me but it hasn't. Again, too much science fiction and too much added to Tony Stark. Jim Rhodes is a plain basic relationship that doesn't really have any special bond between the two. I like the character but it just feels like an "all right" kinda of relationship. And of course we have the school bullies... again, nothing special.

What I did like...
Stark's development of the suit...
and Loni's return and an appearance by Obediah, like I predicted. I'm sure there's going to be an interesting relationship between Obediah and Tony... Which is why I'm going to continue getting this mini. Oh, and because it's "Ultimate".

I'm really not suprised with the Science Fiction spin on things we are getting. To me, Iron Man is the personification of Science Fiction. There's no magic, no wierd genetics, nothing but good ol' human inginuety in the Iron Man suit. Plus, OSC has made a very large portion of his living writing Sci-Fi stories, and I think that may be part of why Marvel got him to write this one, rather than any of the other Ultimate Characters they could have fleshed out. Anyway, just my $.02. Oh, and I really liked the relationship between Tony and Jim. It makes much more sense than them meeting and becoming instant friends. That doesn't happen too much in real life, usually your best friends are ones you meet and really get to know, and as you get to know them, they become better and better friends. I really liked the Watermellon/Dancing joke. Its nice to know that people can make that kind of joke and not have everyone jump on them for it. Sure its a little racist, but then again, it was the '60s, and that kind of belife was still very previlent.

Uh, duh, no surprise to the science fiction. Marvel hired a science fiction writer to do that! :D

But the issue was pretty cool. Not the best, but not bad either. I do agree that the relationship could have been introduced better. And the "metal fly" scene, that really wasnt needed. Tony couldve just explained that when he used it the other time.

I did like how Tony treated Loni. I know I wouldve done the same. But his dad does have a point with the "element of surprise" thing. Wish we didnt have to wait another 2 months for the next part. Feels like time is passing longer here than in the book.

Any interest that I still had for this book yesterday is gone today. I just did not like this issue at all. I mean, I didn't really like 1 or 2 either, but this just made me wanna go to sleep. It doesn't have the hold that other comics have that make you want to turn the page. And also, that has to be one of the crappiest cliffhangers ever.... :(

ultimatedjf said:
It doesn't have the hold that other comics have that make you want to turn the page. And also, that has to be one of the crappiest cliffhangers ever.... :(

Agreed and agreed.

This might have been the worst Ultimate issue I've ever read.

The worst part I think was the dialogue - it was so choppy and jerky...it didn't read like people actually talk. But on top of that, the plot was just all over the place and didn't make any sense. Why did he cut his own foot off? Why does it grow back? Maybe it's just been too long between this and #2 and I forgot.

One star. Blech.

UltimateE said:
Why did he cut his own foot off? Why does it grow back? Maybe it's just been too long between this and #2 and I forgot.
He didnt cut off his own foot. It came off when Tony kicked Stane in the nuts. Why does it grow back? Most likely an unknown side-effect of the bio-armor.

icemastertron said:
He didnt cut off his own foot. It came off when Tony kicked Stane in the nuts. Why does it grow back? Most likely an unknown side-effect of the bio-armor.

Unknown...ugh.

And I could have sworn his dad was giving him crap for cutting off his own foot - his words.

UltimateE said:
Unknown...ugh.

And I could have sworn his dad was giving him crap for cutting off his own foot - his words.
Look at the page again. Tony kicks Stane in the nuts. Two panels later, his foot is on the floor. There is no way for Tony to reach his foot. And Stane didnt do it either, because both his hands was on the helmet. The guards immeadiately thought that it was sliced off. Maybe thats why ya think that.

icemastertron said:
Look at the page again. Tony kicks Stane in the nuts. Two panels later, his foot is on the floor. There is no way for Tony to reach his foot. And Stane didnt do it either, because both his hands was on the helmet. The guards immeadiately thought that it was sliced off. Maybe thats why ya think that.
Look here

See! Told you so! :p

Sorry, I just looked at Marvel Directory and found out he has his own listing. I had never heard of Iron Monger. I guess that's because I don't read any other Iron Man titles.

MaxwellSmart said:
Sorry, I just looked at Marvel Directory and found out he has his own listing. I had never heard of Iron Monger. I guess that's because I don't read any other Iron Man titles.
It's cool, me neither. I just have linked the site before in the past. I was only busting. Much love for your Avatar and your awesome Username.

Latest posts

Back