Ultimate Iron Man #5 cover revealed.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
It's up on the CBR report version of the Ultimate Panel.

UIM05.jpg

Why would he be fighting his future C.E.O.?

If they were sparring, then I'd be pretty annoyed judging by their facial expressions.

It would be even worse if they didn't even interact in this issue. :D

ProjectX2 said:
If they were sparring, then I'd be pretty annoyed judging by their facial expressions.

It would be even worse if they didn't even interact in this issue. :D
Well, as much as it might upset you, that IS possible. As you said, many an Ultimate cover is symbolic, so it's possible that Rhodey and Tony don't spar in this issue. But it's possible they do.

It's also possible that they just have some kind of disagreement that makes them butt heads in a later issue. Just as the Green Goblin and Spider-Man don't really kick each others butts in several issues of USM featuring Spidey-fighing-Goblin covers and Venom and Spider-Man not really duking it out in several issues of USM featuring Venom-fighting-Spidey covers.

ourchair said:
It's also possible that they just have some kind of disagreement that makes them butt heads in a later issue. Just as the Green Goblin and Spider-Man don't really kick each others butts in several issues of USM featuring Spidey-fighing-Goblin covers and Venom and Spider-Man not really duking it out in several issues of USM featuring Venom-fighting-Spidey covers.

Or the issue of UXM where Scott is seen on the remains of a downed sentinel and sentinels weren't even in the issue.

MaxwellSmart said:
Or the issue of UXM where Scott is seen on the remains of a downed sentinel and sentinels weren't even in the issue.
Not that today's comic covers are bad, but I miss the days when comic covers were advertisements for what was actually inside the comic. I liked it when comic covers were their own kind of cliffhanger that screamed at you saying, "Don't you want to know what's going to happen?"

Last edited:
I don't think covers have changed all that much. I remember getting comics as a kid with all the "How will the strangest team ever escape the grasp of the vile [villain name here]", only to not have a scene anything lke what was shown on the cover within the book.
They've always been a dramatic sales tactic, as much as the 'next ish' blurb, when we were told week after week that we would "never expect what's going to happen next".

Guijllons said:
I don't think covers have changed all that much. I remember getting comics as a kid with all the "How will the strangest team ever escape the grasp of the vile [villain name here]", only to not have a scene anything lke what was shown on the cover within the book.
They've always been a dramatic sales tactic, as much as the 'next ish' blurb, when we were told week after week that we would "never expect what's going to happen next".
Well, I can't say that I never had such a cover pull the wool over me before, but as far as I know such covers were at least related to the story inside.

I mean, perhaps the entire team is decimated before the feet of the "strange new villain" yet no such scene exists but there is some degree of a connection. The point is today's covers are more dramatic and less "advertising"esque and my fondness for the latter is not a slight against the former but just a case of silly nostalgia.

I bought a lot of Amazing Spider-Man when I was a kid and most of the time I bought them in scattered issues rather than continuously. It was covers like, "Introducing --- the young Vulture and the old Spidey!" or "Spidey finally catches the Black Fox --- but someone else wants him! Yes! It's exactly who you think it is!" or "Venom's back! And this time he's got Peter's parents!" were what served to draw me in.

ourchair said:
The point is today's covers are more dramatic and less "advertising"esque and my fondness for the latter is not a slight against the former but just a case of silly nostalgia.
As with all nostalgia, it wouldn't be nostalgic if things were still the same. And certainly, nostalgia is the twin of kitsch.

Guijllons said:
As with all nostalgia, it wouldn't be nostalgic if things were still the same. And certainly, nostalgia is the twin of kitsch.
I always thought kitsch was like the autistic older brother of nostalgia. Kinda like the Dustin Hoffman to nostalgia's Tom Cruise.

ourchair said:
I always thought kitsch was like the autistic older brother of nostalgia. Kinda like the Dustin Hoffman to nostalgia's Tom Cruise.
If the dayglo wigged 70's night enthusiasts that knock around provincial city-centres on a Saturday night are anything to go by, then yeah, I think you may just be right.

Latest posts

Back