Ultimate Man-Thing?

Guijllons said:
They were written without continuity in mind, they were introducing characters willy-nilly without really considering the consequences. More effort has had to go into working them into the main continuity because they were just lame and ill-thought out.

Throwing in vampires and and the Punisher's entire history into the books without any option for ultimisation is poor work, and I feel that they would be better off had they not been written. So, we're lumped with them, issue by issue. And when each issue is resolved, I'll add it to continuity, but until then, I don't see why we should.
I've always felt that Ultimate Team-Up IS continuity but is out of continuity the moment a more 'definitive' (hardly quantifiable, I know) take on the characters and concepts are out.

It's the same thing I guess as Peter Parker being into 'twist records' in the 60s but then later being a guilty fan of cheesy 80s rock, or Tony's experiences in the Vietnam War being corrected to take place in the Gulf War. I guess in that sense, comic book continuity follows a certain set of physics --- a fact is continuity until that factoid or story is retold.

The concept of Man-Thing's origin actually does not appear to have been brought up in any way other then the single panel in UFF. In the UMTU issue, he mostly has a walk on part, since the issue mostly deals with Doc Croc.

Assuming that the Man-Thing's origin continue to be linked to the accident in UFF, then isn't it a long way off from the 616 origin? I thought that there was a "mystical" component to it that was important to his creation...portals and power nexus and what not.

Anyway, most likely Ellis is holding onto his notes as to what he had intended to do with it and will come back to it at some point. Or he may pass it on to another writer...Miller's take on it could be very interesting considering how he has rewritten the Avengers like he has. I would think that Man-Thing would require a dark author to make a story with him in it believable...which was why it sucked so much when Bendis did it in UMTU.

OH, and if Man-Thing was created at the same accident as the FF, than Reed is serious messing up...not to mention that military, to have a guy go missing from that event and not mention it to anyone. Even assuming that the person got swept into the n-zone, his body would have appeared on the mapping gear the military had been using in UFF #1...

I'm babbling now...

Yes, but I thought it was revealed that whoever became the Man-Thing drank some sort of poison that turned him into the creature... Also, if he appeared before the accident, that wouldn't make much sense at all.

Goodwill said:
Yes, but I thought it was revealed that whoever became the Man-Thing drank some sort of poison that turned him into the creature... Also, if he appeared before the accident, that wouldn't make much sense at all.

True...unless you assume that UFF occurs long before UMTU 10. Also, and I'm stretching my memory here becasue I never much cared for the character, but wasn't Man-Thing supposed to be something that was more then one person...basically anyone who died in the Bayou could become it if one wasn't currently roaming around. If that's correct (and I'm in no way saying it is) than that could explain how one was not only around before the accident in UFF but maybe (to stretch this much further then it deserves) could explain what the hell it was doing in the sewers of New York...although I kind of doubt it.

notTHATtodd said:
The concept of Man-Thing's origin actually does not appear to have been brought up in any way other then the single panel in UFF. In the UMTU issue, he mostly has a walk on part, since the issue mostly deals with Doc Croc.

Assuming that the Man-Thing's origin continue to be linked to the accident in UFF, then isn't it a long way off from the 616 origin? I thought that there was a "mystical" component to it that was important to his creation...portals and power nexus and what not.

Anyway, most likely Ellis is holding onto his notes as to what he had intended to do with it and will come back to it at some point. Or he may pass it on to another writer...Miller's take on it could be very interesting considering how he has rewritten the Avengers like he has. I would think that Man-Thing would require a dark author to make a story with him in it believable...which was why it sucked so much when Bendis did it in UMTU.

OH, and if Man-Thing was created at the same accident as the FF, than Reed is serious messing up...not to mention that military, to have a guy go missing from that event and not mention it to anyone. Even assuming that the person got swept into the n-zone, his body would have appeared on the mapping gear the military had been using in UFF #1...

I'm babbling now...
Man-Thing is Reeds dog.

And now for a real post. From what I've heard the 616 Man-Thing is the gaurdian of the dimensional nexus, among other things controling the passages between worlds. Makes sense for Ultimate Man-Thing to show up if he plays the same role in the Ultimate Universe.

Baxter said:
Man-Thing is Reeds dog.

And now for a real post. From what I've heard the 616 Man-Thing is the gaurdian of the dimensional nexus, among other things controling the passages between worlds. Makes sense for Ultimate Man-Thing to show up if he plays the same role in the Ultimate Universe.

good point, but why didn't Bass show up in the panel? (or did he....hmmmmm)?

notTHATtodd said:
True...unless you assume that UFF occurs long before UMTU 10. Also, and I'm stretching my memory here becasue I never much cared for the character, but wasn't Man-Thing supposed to be something that was more then one person...basically anyone who died in the Bayou could become it if one wasn't currently roaming around. If that's correct (and I'm in no way saying it is) than that could explain how one was not only around before the accident in UFF but maybe (to stretch this much further then it deserves) could explain what the hell it was doing in the sewers of New York...although I kind of doubt it.

Very true... Honestly, I do think this is a stretch, but could definitely work out in the UU. Good thoughts!

Goodwill said:
Very true... Honestly, I do think this is a stretch, but could definitely work out in the UU. Good thoughts!

Hey, thanks! If I'm not mistaken, I made that comment on 36 hours of no sleep. And people say exhaustion is bad for you.

I don't know what this thread is about, but I thought this site was supposed to be kid friendly! :wink:

notTHATtodd said:
Hey, thanks! If I'm not mistaken, I made that comment on 36 hours of no sleep. And people say exhaustion is bad for you.
Well, I don't know about Man-Thing, but what you said there fits Swamp Thing to a T. But then both characters were created at the same time, by people rooming together no less, so its entirely possible for them to be that similar.

marvelman said:
I don't know what this thread is about, but I thought this site was supposed to be kid friendly! :wink:

We are as kid friendly as people our age can manage without resorting to wearing diapers...wow the image that just conjured for me won't go away now... :shock:

marvelman said:
I don't know about you guys, but I've always been kid friendly on this forum. In fact, all the kids who participate can see how friendly I am by coming over to my house for a slumber party. :innocent:

Latest posts

Back