Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v. 3.0)

Is the Man-Thing really Einstein?

i dunno if anyone's come up with this theory yet or if this theory's been answered already, i haven't read all the comics for the Ultimate Universe yet, i plan to in the near future, the only way i've been readin' issues is through Marvel Digital Comics and of course they haven't digitized everything yet

but if you've read Ultimate Fantastic Four, you might know that Reed owned a dog named Einstein, before the accident at the end of issue #2, you see Victor, Johny, Sue, Reed and Ben standin' on the steps of the device, and then you see Einstein laying on the step behind them. once the accident happens, i don't think we ever see Einstein again, if anybody has then this debunks this whole theory

now in issue #7 on page four during the flashback, in the middle frame you see six people: Reed, Sue, Ben, Victor, Johnny and then a sixth who resembles the Man-Thing, and remember it was Victor, Johnny, Sue, Reed, Ben and the dog Einstein who were the closest to the device when it went off in issue #2

and i did read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10 (Spider-Man & Man-Thing) and in the introduction/premise it tells you the origin of the Man-Thing which probably debunks the whole theory again, but we all know the Ultimate comics have a lot of continuity errors, retcons and such.

if anybody has any theories or other clues, please reply

im confused how come in the first issue of the apocalypse story Beast and Jean act like they have only just met after beasts 'death' but they met each other in the shadow king issue where stomr is with Amahl

Updated for Marvel Zombies 3 #4.

Also tentatively added Marvel Zombies 4 - Midnight Sons to the timeline (assuming it will actually happen and wasn't completely tongue in cheek, which I don't think it was).

DIrishB, I think you need a FAQ page for your timeline thread. You get a lot of the same questions over and over again.

I've been meaning to do one for years. Once Ultimatum is over and Ultimate Avengers starts, I'll be posting a new version of the timeline (v. 5.0...Joe Kalicki's been working on v. 4.0 for years, so 5.0 will be out before 4.0...heh). After 67 pages (and probably close to 80 by the time Ultimatum is over), its time to get rid of this one and start afresh.

But the new version definitely WILL include a FAQ, hence the new version (beyond just a need to tidy up this long *** thread).

So, my challenge to you all, is to post common questons (or even uncommon questions) pertaining to the Ultimate continuity and why I've placed things as I have. I'll probably go through this entire thread and copy and paste some of the questions and answers and add those in as well. But if there's anything you're wondering about or think others might wonder about post it (for instance why I placed the first twelve UFF issues before anything else, or how to explain the continuity discrepancies between UFF and UMTU, etc).

I dont think there is anything wrong with saying it has been going on for a year to be honest. Maybe we could all just accept the fact that ultimates 1,2 and 3 happened within a one years span.

Only USM has placed it at around only a year passing. UXM has never really made much mention of how much time has passed, but the UFF mentioned 1 and a half years had passed aroun UFF #21 (logically placing them at 2-3 years from their creation at this point). Ultimates has also run over a 2-3 year period of time. USM is the only title which screws up a cohesive passing of time in the Ultimate universe proper. And given Bendis' ignorance of his own continuity, I'm inclined to ignore the time references in USM and give more weight to those mentioned in Ultimates, UFF, and various mini series (like Ultimate Galactus, etc).

I was wondering... In Ultimate Power the Squadron Supreme from Earth-712 get sucked into the battle by the Scarlet Witch. Where does this take place in the 712 timeline? I can't seem to make it fit anywhere.

"It's magic; you don't have to explain it!" :lol:

Seriously though. I don't think that roster EVER existed.

i'm serious too. Don't try to make sense of Ultimate Power...it only leads to heartache!

Seriously. I can't make it fit in Ultimate continuity either without causing some problems.

i dunno if anyone's come up with this theory yet or if this theory's been answered already, i haven't read all the comics for the Ultimate Universe yet, i plan to in the near future, the only way i've been readin' issues is through Marvel Digital Comics and of course they haven't digitized everything yet

but if you've read Ultimate Fantastic Four, you might know that Reed owned a dog named Einstein, before the accident at the end of issue #2, you see Victor, Johny, Sue, Reed and Ben standin' on the steps of the device, and then you see Einstein laying on the step behind them. once the accident happens, i don't think we ever see Einstein again, if anybody has then this debunks this whole theory

now in issue #7 on page four during the flashback, in the middle frame you see six people: Reed, Sue, Ben, Victor, Johnny and then a sixth who resembles the Man-Thing, and remember it was Victor, Johnny, Sue, Reed, Ben and the dog Einstein who were the closest to the device when it went off in issue #2

and i did read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10 (Spider-Man & Man-Thing) and in the introduction/premise it tells you the origin of the Man-Thing which probably debunks the whole theory again, but we all know the Ultimate comics have a lot of continuity errors, retcons and such.

if anybody has any theories or other clues, please reply

Very interesting theory. I'd start a thread about that in the UFF section. It'd be a much more interesting idea than the 616 clone that is the current Man-Thing (seen only once in UMTU #10). They should totally retcon it and go with your idea, its awesome. Seriously, start a thread about that. That could lead to some interesting discussion.

im confused how come in the first issue of the apocalypse story Beast and Jean act like they have only just met after beasts 'death' but they met each other in the shadow king issue where stomr is with Amahl

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I read them in single issues each month and had forgotten their standing next to each other by Ororo's bedside at the end of #89, and then Jean being surprised and Beast explaining his "resurrection" halfway through #90 when I read it a month later. Its an obvious continuity goof on Kirkman's and the editors' parts. I'm surprised I missed that. There's no explanation for it, though, and is just one of those things you have to ignore (Ultimate continuity is full of those).

Good catch.

Last edited:
FAQ's (I know these, but others might not.)

You have the three main universes on the timeline (Ultimate: Earth-1610, Marvel Zombies: Earth-2149, and Supreme Power: Earth-31916.) Why don't you include the other Earth's that are included in the continuity? Such as Squadron Supreme (Earth-712), Mainstream Marvel (Earth-616), or Army of Darkness (Earth-818793)? And why aren't all their crossovers listed?

Ultimate Civil War Spider-Ham isn't on the timeline, why not?

More to come!

In reference to DiB's mention of MY timeline. . .

I was well into it when my harddrive went out on me and I lost it. I still have my paper notes for 90% of it, and I intend to finish it, but when that happened it kind of makes me sick to think about it now.

FAQ (Some of these were brought up by my wife)

I bought the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game because of the name Ultimate. Why doesn't the timeline reflect the game? Why is there two different Galactuses?

For that matter, why are there like 14 different Silver Surfers?

Why does Northstar die every other arc?

What was the point of Ultimate Adventures?

Why doesn't Ultimate Iron Man follow the plot of the Iron Man movie when Nick Fury was fashioned after (or played by) Sam Jackson?

In reference to DiB's mention of MY timeline. . .

I was well into it when my harddrive went out on me and I lost it. I still have my paper notes for 90% of it, and I intend to finish it, but when that happened it kind of makes me sick to think about it now.

Pfffttt. Let us all know when you can hang with the big dogs.

FAQ (Some of these were brought up by my wife)

I bought the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game because of the name Ultimate. Why doesn't the timeline reflect the game? Why is there two different Galactuses?

They were merely cashing in on the Ultimate name and look. While fashioned after the Ultimate universe in some respects, that game has nothing to do with the Ultimate universe or its chronology. Hence the two Galactus'.

For that matter, why are there like 14 different Silver Surfers?

Why does Northstar die every other arc?

What was the point of Ultimate Adventures?

Why doesn't Ultimate Iron Man follow the plot of the Iron Man movie when Nick Fury was fashioned after (or played by) Sam Jackson?

These aren't timeline questions...write a letter to Marvel Editorial for those.

I don't think that Mainstream Marvel (Earth-616) or Army of Darkness (Earth-818793) should fit into the timeline because no characters from either universe have ever interacted with a character from the Ultimate Universe. However, I do think that the original Squadron Supreme universe (Earth-712) should be included, however it really doesn't seem possible to do so. If I recall, the roster had Nighthawk, Moonglow and Shape on it, which doesn't make any sense since Moonglow and Shape have never been on the team at the same time as Nighthawk. I MIGHT be wrong about this since I don't own everything Squadron Supreme though. I'd really like it if it made sense...

I don't think that Mainstream Marvel (Earth-616) or Army of Darkness (Earth-818793) should fit into the timeline because no characters from either universe have ever interacted with a character from the Ultimate Universe. However, I do think that the original Squadron Supreme universe (Earth-712) should be included, however it really doesn't seem possible to do so. If I recall, the roster had Nighthawk, Moonglow and Shape on it, which doesn't make any sense since Moonglow and Shape have never been on the team at the same time as Nighthawk. I MIGHT be wrong about this since I don't own everything Squadron Supreme though. I'd really like it if it made sense...

Maybe it's the current Squadron roster. When's the last time they appeared, Busiek's Avengers? There've probably been a lot of changes since then.

And I blame Marvel Zombies for affecting this whole timeline. When I finish mine it'll just have the stuff that takes place in the Ultimate Universe. At least at first.

Very interesting theory. I'd start a thread about that in the UFF section. It'd be a much more interesting idea than the 616 clone that is the current Man-Thing (seen only once in UMTU #10). They should totally retcon it and go with your idea, its awesome. Seriously, start a thread about that. That could lead to some interesting discussion.

i'm new to this but i did start a new thread titled "Is Einstein really the Man-Thing?" like i said before, if any of you has any new info or theories, all is appreciated

"Maybe it's the current Squadron roster. When's the last time they appeared, Busiek's Avengers? There've probably been a lot of changes since then."

The last time they appeared was in Exiles #78. The current team is the original team. Amphibian, Doctor Spectrum, Hyperion, Nighthawk, Power Princess, Skrullian Skymaster and Whizzer.

The last time they appeared was in Exiles #78. The current team is the original team. Amphibian, Doctor Spectrum, Hyperion, Nighthawk, Power Princess, Skrullian Skymaster and Whizzer.

ladies and gents, we have our selves a bonafide Squadron Supreme (earth-712) nerd.

I don't think i've ever met one of those before.

welcome!

Last edited:
hey DIrishB, i dunno if you've seen my forum 'bout my theory yet, but this is what i've gotten so far:

You don't see six people. You only see two people: Reed and Sue. The three pairs of figures are transparent, stacked on top of each other and all holding hands. Reed could've been Man-Thing or rocky like Ben. Susan could've been metal like Doom or fiery like Johnny. They were shifting through all the possible permutations of themselves, just like the apple that Reed tells Ben about later in the arc. The last panel on the second page is a closeup of their hands as they settle into the stretchy/invisible forms that they'll stay in.

i've looked closer and TwightlightEL is right, it is just different variations of Reed and Sue, BUT it's obvious that the different variations went out to the others, you had Ben turn to stone, Victor into metal, Johnny into fire, and then of course (in theory) Einstein into the Man-Thing, whatever element Man-Thing may be

if you wanna check it out, here's the link: http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11850

i've also started this topic on the MySpace Comics forum: http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=8018570&categoryID=0&type=friendForum&friendID=92159514&IsSticky=0&Mytoken=147EC094-8BF7-48E3-A2EEEAF731CD4AF1117204351

FAQ's (I know these, but others might not.)

You have the three main universes on the timeline (Ultimate: Earth-1610, Marvel Zombies: Earth-2149, and Supreme Power: Earth-31916.) Why don't you include the other Earth's that are included in the continuity? Such as Squadron Supreme (Earth-712), Mainstream Marvel (Earth-616), or Army of Darkness (Earth-818793)? And why aren't all their crossovers listed?

Ultimate Civil War Spider-Ham isn't on the timeline, why not?

More to come!

Yeah, the Spider-Ham of Earth-7044 and Wolverine, Power-Man, Captain America, & Hulk of Earth-6195 were (I assume) infected with the same virus that infected Earth-2149. Plus I even went back and plugged those Characters into my first appearance thread.

Last edited:
So i have two points.

First i have just read Ultimates 3, an i thought it was great, not the best, but a pretty decent story, i think most of you are trying to find the smallest faults for it because it is nothing compared to millars run. I enjoyed Ultimates 3 and i'm enjoying Ultimatum, although i hated Ultimate Hulk Annual. But seriously, it was a decent read, and i loved how the characters have developed.
I mean when i first heard you all moaning about the changed, i was un-happy because they seemed like they never told how the changes happened. Well they have.
I mean we have a sort of explanation to Valkyries power(I think it has something to do with mephisto and Ghost Rider)
-Pyro mentioned he was in the X-Men.
-Thor explained why he spoke like that.

And there were others as well that were explained.

But don't have a go at me though, i am not trying to fight with people. It's my opinion.

Okay so next point. I was thinking, is it possible that time works differently in the Ultimate Universe. I mean like a year could actually be the lenght of three years, so it has like 900 odd days in one year in the ultimate verse. I mean this could explain the inconsistencies in the Universe. That means like every 300 days (an actual year) is when new ultimates series happens, seeing as they are supposed to be a year after the last one. We can explain the time references on the blurb as the writers simplyfing it down for us. I mean, you need to put some though in it to happen but it could make sense. This also then explains how
Ultimate Spider-Man has only gone thorough one year (actually 900 days, could be a 1000) in school. Also i was thinking about time jumps as we. In the Hollywood arc we get a time jump to a couple of months. I think i know how to make the timeline shorter, what we could do is place that time jump after some of the arcs that followed Hollywood. So the time jump coiuld be placed after Warriors or after deadpool.

Do you know what i mean?

Last edited:
ladies and gents, we have our selves a bonafide Squadron Supreme (earth-712) nerd.

I don't think i've ever met one of those before.

welcome!

Heh, yeah it's true I love Squadron Supreme, both versions. This Ultimate Power **** annoys me so much 'cause it really doesn't fit at ALL into 712. I also have no idea why Skrullian Skymaster was a telepath. Ugh.

Maybe they are not the actual squadron supreme, maybe are the squadron supreme from another universe. I know they mentioned meeting the the Avengers from 616, but then you could say that this Squadron Supreme met another universe version of the avengers.

That's another thing. I really don't think the current Nighthawk ever met the Avengers...so yeah, your explanation is pretty much the only one that makes sense...as stupid as it is. Argh I HATE Ultimate Power.

Latest posts

Back