Ultimate Mary Jane?

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
I read on another site that a novel written about Mary Jane is suppose to be set in the Ultimate Universe. The pics I seen look like USM #1 when Peter got his powers. Does anybody know about this?

thee great one said:
I read on another site that a novel written about Mary Jane is suppose to be set in the Ultimate Universe. The pics I seen look like USM #1 when Peter got his powers. Does anybody know about this?

Yeah, it's basically Mary-Jane's life. I've seen it advertised in a couple of trades.

thee great one said:

Yup. There were actually two of them written, and they sport the Ultimate Spider-Man logo down in the bottom corners, but trust me, they don't work. Not only are they aimed at young girls, but continuity wise they much up the entire early run of USM. The first one sort of fits into continuity (there are only minor discrepancies), but the second one screws it all up. I bought and read them to see if they'd fit into continuity, but they don't, and I'm glad they don't. Terrible, terrible books. On an interesting note, however, it seems Bendis did take an idea from one of the books. Peter and MJ go out on a date to some fancy restaurant in one of the books, and its the same restaurant which is used in the Dr. Strange 2-issue crossover arc.

DIrishB said:
Yup. There were actually two of them written, and they sport the Ultimate Spider-Man logo down in the bottom corners, but trust me, they don't work. Not only are they aimed at young girls, but continuity wise they much up the entire early run of USM. The first one sort of fits into continuity (there are only minor discrepancies), but the second one screws it all up. I bought and read them to see if they'd fit into continuity, but they don't, and I'm glad they don't. Terrible, terrible books. On an interesting note, however, it seems Bendis did take an idea from one of the books. Peter and MJ go out on a date to some fancy restaurant in one of the books, and its the same restaurant which is used in the Dr. Strange 2-issue crossover arc.

Well that's good to know. Thanks D.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:

I've read the first one. It was terrible.

These are the only Ultimate books I don't own simply because they don't fit at all. Ultimate Iron Man was better then these books.

Not that I've read the book, but the whole point of the book was merely to write a teen-oriented/girls young-lit approach to the Ultimate characters.

I hardly think that it can be faulted for not getting continuity details straight since many novelists writing books based on comic book characters take such liberties. Hell even the guys who write novelizations of movies do the same thing.

In my opinion, slapping the Ultimate Spider-Man logo was never a promise of continuity faithfulness, but rather a gimmick meant to associate the book with what Marvel considers their prestigiously reader-friendly brand.

This I think is similar to how the graphic design of movies based on books end up on new editions of the book in question being adapted, even if the connection between the book and the movie is tenuous at best. (e.g. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, High Fidelity and Blade Runner)

thee great one said:
Well that's good to know. Thanks D.

Anytime, TGO.

Lynx said:
I've read the first one. It was terrible.

These are the only Ultimate books I don't own simply because they don't fit at all. Ultimate Iron Man was better then these books.

Entirely appropriate assessment.

UltimateE said:

I didn't think they'd be as terrible as they were, and I also thought they'd fit into continuity, so I was trying to add them into the timeline. Luckily they don't fit and I didn't have to do so.

ourchair said:
Not that I've read the book, but the whole point of the book was merely to write a teen-oriented/girls young-lit approach to the Ultimate characters.

I hardly think that it can be faulted for not getting continuity details straight since many novelists writing books based on comic book characters take such liberties. Hell even the guys who write novelizations of movies do the same thing.

In my opinion, slapping the Ultimate Spider-Man logo was never a promise of continuity faithfulness, but rather a gimmick meant to associate the book with what Marvel considers their prestigiously reader-friendly brand.

Very true, but it took me reading it to know it wouldn't fit into continuity. Just as there are many of these sorts of novels which don't fit into their respective continuities, there are just as many that do. Hence me actually buying and reading these crappy novels. By the way, if you know any pre-teen girls who might be interested, I think I still have them packed away in a closet somewhere. Had it worked out in terms of the continuity, I'd have included it in the timeline, as I want it to be as comprehensive as possible.

This I think is similar to how the graphic design of movies based on books end up on new editions of the book in question being adapted, even if the connection between the book and the movie is tenuous at best. (e.g. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, High Fidelity and Blade Runner)

Good point.

Latest posts

Back