Ultimate Mephisto

Well, as long as Marvel seems to have captured Lucifer's Mike Carey....

*shrug*

I'm iffy about Mephisto.

I would like to see more of Dameon Haelstrom, Agent of SHIELD. I mean, he might be in his crazy outfit now, but I'd like it if he really honestly was some sort of powerful character.

But if they had someone who's good with Demons and Horror, ie - Neil Gaiman, or someone else who has a penchant for good Horror stories... I'd be totally up for it.

compound said:
In this *particular* case, even a well-funded, technologically-advanced sub-office of the Vatican would make more sense getting involved than SHIELD.

ooooh. I missed that first time around....

Maybe they've got Ultimate John Constantine working for them :p, but seriously, thats a really good idea...

Ultimate Stryker? (not the movie version, the minister from the comics)

They should do Mephisto crazy and totally off the wall different. Like how about this. There's a kid who suffers from paranoid schiztophrenia and epilepsy (conditions that are often attributed to being the real source of demonic possessions) and is also very devout. He's also a mutant though, but his mutation is purely cerebral. His fantasies are tangible to him, but in no way take place in the material world. Basically, Mephisto is the thing the boy dreams up and has to face and confront every day. But its all him, or is it? If the fantasy is real, is it still a fantasy? I would of course go INCREDIBLY dark and disturbing.

Entropy said:
They should do Mephisto crazy and totally off the wall different. Like how about this. There's a kid who suffers from paranoid schiztophrenia and epilepsy (conditions that are often attributed to being the real source of demonic possessions) and is also very devout. He's also a mutant though, but his mutation is purely cerebral. His fantasies are tangible to him, but in no way take place in the material world. Basically, Mephisto is the thing the boy dreams up and has to face and confront every day. But its all him, or is it? If the fantasy is real, is it still a fantasy? I would of course go INCREDIBLY dark and disturbing.
And we have a winner. ****in' brilliant.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Well, as long as Marvel seems to have captured Lucifer's Mike Carey....

*shrug*

I'm iffy about Mephisto.

I would like to see more of Dameon Haelstrom, Agent of SHIELD. I mean, he might be in his crazy outfit now, but I'd like it if he really honestly was some sort of powerful character.

But if they had someone who's good with Demons and Horror, ie - Neil Gaiman, or someone else who has a penchant for good Horror stories... I'd be totally up for it.

I though Dameon was an agent of SHIELD, due to the Ultimates Annual. They open with the defends having fury say that they've got spies in the other super-cliques (something along those lines) and at the end, Dameon says "Who ever put me on this assignment is going to pay". I though Dameon was the spy.

Hawkeye101 said:
I though Dameon was an agent of SHIELD, due to the Ultimates Annual. They open with the defends having fury say that they've got spies in the other super-cliques (something along those lines) and at the end, Dameon says "Who ever put me on this assignment is going to pay". I though Dameon was the spy.

He is Fury's spy. No doubt about that.

And I agree, I like Entropy's idea. Maybe a little too parallel to Ultimate Thor in a way, but still very cool and would work well.

Hawkeye101 said:

I'm saying he should be an Agent of SHIELD, but still have ties to the Black Arts...

Dr.Strangefate said:
I'm saying he should be an Agent of SHIELD, but still have ties to the Black Arts...
Well sorry that Millar burst your bubble too but I doubt any of the Ultimates Defenders at this point have powers. Especially SOS because they're doing more with him at the moment with this whole mole thing they got going.

I just had an awesome thought/idea but I'll post it in the appropriate thread.

Frankly, after Angel, Charmed, Carey's Lucifer, Devil's Advocate, Millar's Chosen, Mignola's Hellboy, Witches of Eastwick... I really don't think there's any interesting way to Ultimize Mephisto anymore that hasnt already been attempted. At least, not without severely compromising the tone of the Ultimate Universe.

For what it's worth, I'd strip the character of any sense of menace, and play him as a comedy figure, penned by Kyle Baker. No, really...

Because Millar has already done a brilliant job of writing Loki into the traditional Satanic role, as the self-interested, sinister-but-not-cartoonishly-evil figure who manipulates things from the background, and convinces the world that he doesn't exist. It's really difficult to top that!

compound said:
Frankly, after Angel, Charmed, Carey's Lucifer, Devil's Advocate, Millar's Chosen, Mignola's Hellboy, Witches of Eastwick... I really don't think there's any interesting way to Ultimize Mephisto anymore that hasnt already been attempted. At least, not without severely compromising the tone of the Ultimate Universe.

For what it's worth, I'd strip the character of any sense of menace, and play him as a comedy figure, penned by Kyle Baker. No, really...

Because Millar has already done a brilliant job of writing Loki into the traditional Satanic role, as the self-interested, sinister-but-not-cartoonishly-evil figure who manipulates things from the background, and convinces the world that he doesn't exist. It's really difficult to top that!

Yeah, but did you read Entropy's idea? I thought it sounded like it has a lot of promise:

Entropy said:

DIrishB said:
Yeah, but did you read Entropy's idea? I thought it sounded like it has a lot of promise:
Yes, it does, except it's already been done, in parts, mostly in Ultimate X-Men, but also in other pop cultural examples, as well as real life(!) Cases in point:

* epileptic symptoms interpreted as demonic possession: i'm sad to say that this scenario actually led to the death of a college student during a Vatican-approved 'exorcism', as recently as the late 80s, I believe. The whole sorry affiar will be allegedly documented (in fictionalized form, of course) in the upcoming horror movie The Exorcism Of Emily Rose

* mutant power, or magical/demonic force?: this is more or less a rehash of the Ultimate Jean Grey/Phoenix situation

* super-ability creates a personal halluciantion... or is it?: basically the same approach Vaughn used to write Ultimate Sinister/Apocalypse

So they're definitely good ideas, especially when executed together, in a potentially 'believable' kind of way, but they've already been addressed, even within the UU, in different forms.

compound said:
Yes, it does, except it's already been done, in parts, mostly in Ultimate X-Men, but also in other pop cultural examples, as well as real life(!) Cases in point:

* epileptic symptoms interpreted as demonic possession: i'm sad to say that this scenario actually led to the death of a college student during a Vatican-approved 'exorcism', as recently as the late 80s, I believe. The whole sorry affiar will be allegedly documented (in fictionalized form, of course) in the upcoming horror movie The Exorcism Of Emily Rose

* mutant power, or magical/demonic force?: this is more or less a rehash of the Ultimate Jean Grey/Phoenix situation

* super-ability creates a personal halluciantion... or is it?: basically the same approach Vaughn used to write Ultimate Sinister/Apocalypse

So they're definitely good ideas, especially when executed together, in a potentially 'believable' kind of way, but they've already been addressed, even within the UU, in different forms.

I'm sorry, but I haven't read Ultimate X-Men, can you explain the Sinister/Apocalypse thing? And just to clarify because I typed the idea in a rush, the kid most definitely IS a mutant and Mephisto IS a fantasy, but due to his mutation he's entirely real to the kid. I probably shouldn't have typed that questioning stuff, I'll edit it out. The basic idea's to explore though would be mind over matter and rational vs faith.

PS, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a horrible movie. The case of Annilese Michels (who was exorcised in the mid 70s in Germany I believe) which the movie is based on is just an example of an extreme case slipping through the cracks. The church usually diagnoses the large amount of reported possessions as some form of mental disorder, usually schizophrenia of a type, as the true cause to disturbance. I was simply running with the idea of what if the kid has the mundane symptoms but extraordinary circumstances that make it more akin to what they would deem true possession.

DIrishB said:
But then again, what doesn't fall into this category?
None of the Ultimate X-men have ever turned themselves into dinosaurs. Lots of stuff hasn't been done in Ultimate.

Latest posts

Back