Ultimate Mockingbird idea

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
Ultimate Marvel Presents: Mockingbird
"Hum", Parts 1-4


Barbara "Bobbi" Morse has spent her entire life attempting to live down her reputation as the niece of respected SHIELD director Nick Fury. Even as a spunky bi-racial child prodigy (displaying Mary Sue-level talents), she established that her mission in life was to become a SHIELD operative, and prepared herself accordingly, inteding to grow along with the fledgling organization.

Despite having a natural genius-level intellect and possessing the same technical know-how and intelligence-gathering skills as her famous uncle, she is regarded with suspicion of nepotism, after graduating with top honors from SHIELD's training program. (She's an excellent marksman and can hold her own in field combat, despite the fact that a gimp leg -- disfigured by polio since childhood -- requires her to walk with the use of a cane.)

When an inter-agency dispute with Interpol forces SHIELD to back away from an investigation into Irish arms dealer Tom Cassidy, Bobbi snoops around, hacking into Interpol's database, with Fury's tacit approval. But her intrusion is detected, and Fury mercilessly leaves his niece to take the rap, trusting her to be able to take care of herself.

Bobbi escapes Interpol custody, and officially goes rogue.

On the lam in upstate New York, she is tracked down by Lee, the silent driver/emissary of billionaire Jack Danner, a.k.a. Hawk-Owl (from Ultimate Adventures), who has been conducting his own private investigation into Black Tom, who is dealing weapons to Danner's corporate rivals, Fenris International.

Danner gives Bobbi full access to his workshop in his headquaters, The Nest, and she crafts a gimmicked version of her cane that separates into two smaller staff-like weapons, as well as her own new costumed identity, Mockingbird, to match the 'bird of prey' theme. ;)

Bobbi uses the Nest's computer to decrypt an Interpol file, attempting to cover up Fenris' plan to disrupt the world economic system by launching simultaneous terrorist attacks on major financial institutions -- the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and so forth.

Racing against time, Hawk-Owl, Woody, Mockingbird, Lee, and Tolliver split up to the raid the various Fenris offices from which the attacks are being coordinated. They are pursued intently by SHIELD, Interpol, as well as rogue Interpol agents on Fenris' payroll.

Mockingbird and Lee end up in Fenris' Hamburg headquaters, facing both Andrea and Andreas Strucker, whose last-ditch effort to salvage their plan ends with a crippling bioelectric blast that severs the nerves in Bobbi's good leg. The heroes' combined efforts averts disaster -- for now -- but for wheelchair-bound Bobbi, it's a Pyhrric victory.

She says 'thanks but no thanks' to her uncle's offer to rejoin SHIELD as a full-time intelligence officer, moving in with her new-found allies.

She resolves to carry on keeping the world safe by using The Nest's computer system to transmit encrypted intelligence reports -- her Mockingbird's Hum -- to a network of independent crime-fighters, functioning as a information broker for heroes that refuse to play by SHIELD's rules.
 
Last edited:

The Overlord

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
2,464
compound said:
Ultimate Marvel Presents: Mockingbird
"Hum", Parts 1-4


Barbara "Bobbi" Morse has spent her entire life attempting to live down her reputation as the niece of respected SHIELD director Nick Fury. Even as a spunky bi-racial child prodigy (displaying Mary Sue-level talents), she established that her mission in life was to become a SHIELD operative, and prepared herself accordingly, inteding to grow along with the fledgling organization.

Despite having a natural genius-level intellect and possessing the same technical know-how and intelligence-gathering skills as her famous uncle, she is regarded with suspicion of nepotism, after graduating with top honors from SHIELD's training program. (She's an excellent marksman and can hold her own in field combat, despite the fact that a gimp leg -- disfigured by polio since childhood -- requires her to walk with the use of a cane.)

When an inter-agency dispute with Interpol forces SHIELD to back away from an investigation into Irish arms dealer Tom Cassidy, Bobbi snoops around, hacking into Interpol's database, with Fury's tacit approval. But her intrusion is detected, and Fury mercilessly leaves his niece to take the rap, trusting her to be able to take care of herself.

Bobbi escapes Interpol custody, and officially goes rogue.

On the lam in upstate New York, she is tracked down by Lee, the silent driver/emissary of billionaire Jack Danner, a.k.a. Hawk-Owl (from Ultimate Adventures), who has been conducting his own private investigation into Black Tom, who is dealing weapons to Danner's corporate rivals, Fenris International.

Danner gives Bobbi full access to his workshop in his headquaters, The Nest, and she crafts a gimmicked version of her cane that separates into two smaller staff-like weapons, as well as her own new costumed identity, Mockingbird, to match the 'bird of prey' theme. ;)

Bobbi uses the Nest's computer to decrypt an Interpol file, attempting to cover up Fenris' plan to disrupt the world economic system by launching simultaneous terrorist attacks on major financial institutions -- the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and so forth.

Racing against time, Hawk-Owl, Woody, Mockingbird, Lee, and Tolliver split up to the raid the various Fenris offices from which the attacks are being coordinated. They are pursued intently by SHIELD, Interpol, as well as rogue Interpol agents on Fenris' payroll.

Mockingbird and Lee end up in Fenris' Hamburg headquaters, facing both Andrea and Andreas Strucker, whose last-ditch effort to salvage their plan ends with a crippling bioelectric blast that severs the nerves in Bobbi's good leg. The heroes' combined efforts averts disaster -- for now -- but for wheelchair-bound Bobbi, it's a Pyhrric victory.

She says 'thanks but no thanks' to her uncle's offer to rejoin SHIELD as a full-time intelligence officer, moving in with her new-found allies.

She resolves to carry on keeping the world safe by using The Nest's computer system to transmit encrypted intelligence reports -- her Mockingbird's Hum -- to a network of independent crime-fighters, functioning as a information broker for heroes that refuse to play by SHIELD's rules.

That's a cool idea, I like it.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Nice. I like how you seem to mix in Hawk-Owl as a more serious vigilante type.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
I probably ought to throw in some early sparring sequences with a younger Hawkeye as her mentor, too. Partly for the sake of consistency with 616, but also to establish that she's trained alongside the best SHIELD has to offer.

And to show that Bobbie's maternal instincts are not *completely* absent, she probably baby-sat for Clint's kids, as toddlers.
 

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
5,491
Location
Australia
thee great one said:
Genius as always.
What he said.

compound said:
I probably ought to throw in some early sparring sequences with a younger Hawkeye as her mentor, too. Partly for the sake of consistency with 616, but also to establish that she's trained alongside the best SHIELD has to offer.

And to show that Bobbie's maternal instincts are not *completely* absent, she probably baby-sat for Clint's kids, as toddlers.
It would be very in tone with the little nods to 616.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
DIrishB said:
I like the idea Compound, except the ending. The super-vigilante turned wheel-chair bound super-hero aide is a bit too reminiscent of Oracle/Batgirl/Barbara Gordon, but its still a good idea.
That was *precisely* what I had in mind -- since Danner/Hawk-Owl was intended to be a Batman analog for the Ultimate Universe, I designed my version of Mockingbird to be his eqivalent of Batgirl (and, mind you, even the 616 Mockingbird had Barbara as her real name).

That's also why I picked Fury to be Bobbi's uncle, as a nod to Barbara Gordon's parentage.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
compound said:
That was *precisely* what I had in mind -- since Danner/Hawk-Owl was intended to be a Batman analog for the Ultimate Universe, I designed my version of Mockingbird to be his eqivalent of Batgirl (and, mind you, even the 616 Mockingbird had Barbara as her real name).

That's also why I picked Fury to be Bobbi's uncle, as a nod to Barbara Gordon's parentage.

Gotcha...so is your's also in the same vein as a parody, or more along the lines of a respective nod to that title? Makes sense though either way. But as I said about the Hawk-Owl thing before, there's a fine line between parody and rip-off. I still like the idea though.
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
680
Location
Iowa
Actually, Ultimate Mockingbird could make an excellent entrance as a vigiante type who makes an impression on Hawkeye now that Hawk's girl and kids are dead. Hawkeye could resort to alcohol or something, and as the rest of the Ultimates try to bring him out of his funk, he sees Mockingbird kick the crap out of some thungs at a bar and their relationship goes into full swing. You could have an Ultimate Hawkeye mini, like the ones from 616.
 

shadowcleric

Active Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
41
Location
hawaii
compound said:
Ultimate Marvel Presents: Mockingbird
"Hum", Parts 1-4


Barbara "Bobbi" Morse has spent her entire life attempting to live down her reputation as the niece of respected SHIELD director Nick Fury. Even as a spunky bi-racial child prodigy (displaying Mary Sue-level talents), she established that her mission in life was to become a SHIELD operative, and prepared herself accordingly, inteding to grow along with the fledgling organization.

Despite having a natural genius-level intellect and possessing the same technical know-how and intelligence-gathering skills as her famous uncle, she is regarded with suspicion of nepotism, after graduating with top honors from SHIELD's training program. (She's an excellent marksman and can hold her own in field combat, despite the fact that a gimp leg -- disfigured by polio since childhood -- requires her to walk with the use of a cane.)

When an inter-agency dispute with Interpol forces SHIELD to back away from an investigation into Irish arms dealer Tom Cassidy, Bobbi snoops around, hacking into Interpol's database, with Fury's tacit approval. But her intrusion is detected, and Fury mercilessly leaves his niece to take the rap, trusting her to be able to take care of herself.

Bobbi escapes Interpol custody, and officially goes rogue.

On the lam in upstate New York, she is tracked down by Lee, the silent driver/emissary of billionaire Jack Danner, a.k.a. Hawk-Owl (from Ultimate Adventures), who has been conducting his own private investigation into Black Tom, who is dealing weapons to Danner's corporate rivals, Fenris International.

Danner gives Bobbi full access to his workshop in his headquaters, The Nest, and she crafts a gimmicked version of her cane that separates into two smaller staff-like weapons, as well as her own new costumed identity, Mockingbird, to match the 'bird of prey' theme. ;)

Bobbi uses the Nest's computer to decrypt an Interpol file, attempting to cover up Fenris' plan to disrupt the world economic system by launching simultaneous terrorist attacks on major financial institutions -- the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and so forth.

Racing against time, Hawk-Owl, Woody, Mockingbird, Lee, and Tolliver split up to the raid the various Fenris offices from which the attacks are being coordinated. They are pursued intently by SHIELD, Interpol, as well as rogue Interpol agents on Fenris' payroll.

Mockingbird and Lee end up in Fenris' Hamburg headquaters, facing both Andrea and Andreas Strucker, whose last-ditch effort to salvage their plan ends with a crippling bioelectric blast that severs the nerves in Bobbi's good leg. The heroes' combined efforts averts disaster -- for now -- but for wheelchair-bound Bobbi, it's a Pyhrric victory.

She says 'thanks but no thanks' to her uncle's offer to rejoin SHIELD as a full-time intelligence officer, moving in with her new-found allies.

She resolves to carry on keeping the world safe by using The Nest's computer system to transmit encrypted intelligence reports -- her Mockingbird's Hum -- to a network of independent crime-fighters, functioning as a information broker for heroes that refuse to play by SHIELD's rules.


question who's mockingbird?
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
680
Location
Iowa
shadowcleric said:
question who's mockingbird?

When Hawkeye would go on Solo advwentures without the Avengers, He'd occasionally run into Mockingbird. She was to Hawkeye kind of what 616 Black Cat was to 616 Spider-Man. Over time a love interest sparked, Hawkeye ever skeptical because of his prior relationship with Black Widow. Finally, Mockingbird, tired of waiting, proposed to Hawkeye, and the two were married. To witch then the Avengers wanted a west coast team, which they put HAwkeye in charge of. Mockingbird was his first recruit, and was key in finding other members of the West Coast Team.

Mockingbird herself was a level 4 or 5 combatant, using two billy clubs with the capability to extend to four feet. Also of which could attach and become a bow staff. According to the 'Official Marvel Handbook: The Book of the Dead' Mockingbird's super-human powers was super-farsightedness. The draw back, was that to read things up close, she'd have to have reading glasses.
 

Doc Comic

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
2,869
Location
Crown Point, IN
Hawkeye101 said:
(%^** %^*)^*( R%^*^&()%^^ ^&*^ JUSTICE LEAUGE! I HATE THEM! ESPECIALLY GREEN ARROW! Hawkeye could mop the floor with him!
It seems somebody has an inferiority complex.

P.S. DC rules.
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
680
Location
Iowa
DC is the most childish way to portray super-heroes. The DC world is almost completely Totolitarian, the Super-Team isn't even feared by the government, and no one openly opposes them, or at least not often enough. Each of the heroes are either too indestructible, or never seem to get shot.

Prime example: Superman. Too FREEKING indestructible. One could make the same argument about Thor, yet you saw what happened to him in "The Passion". You couldn't do that to Superman. The only thing that can hurt him is Kryptonite, and there isn't enough of it around to keep him killed. Otherwise it all like: 'Hey, an army has made it to US coast, oh, well, WE don't have to do anything, because Superman is super-indestructible and can take care of all Twenty-thousand of them himself.

Like wise with Wonder Woman now with flight instead of her jet. And all of them for that matter. And who said that the DC heroes are supposed to have the upper hand on the Marvel heroes? When ever the two face off, DC always has the upper hand. ARG! They are stupid childish and should be left for the toddlers.

Someone once said to me, 'Anyone can write Marvel, but if you want to write DC you have to read the odessy or the illiad for insparation'. DC storues are epics."

BULL ****. In order to be an epic you need three things, The hero must have a characteristic flaw (not a physical weakness), they must be on a journey to make themselves a better person, and you must have Deus Ek Machina (machine of the gods, or the gods must interfere). In comics the 'gods' are the super powers that the hero stumbles apon. So both DC and Marvel have Deus Ek Machina. But DC lacks the other two. Again, Superman has no characteristic flaw and does not go on journeys to better himself. Neither does Wonder Woman, the Greeen Lantern, Flash, etc. They don't follow the giudelines to be an epic.

Marvel, on the ohter hand, does. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Professor Xavier to an extent, all have some kind of flaw and do what they do to make themselves a better person in order to correct their character flaw.

And that is why DC blows sooooo much ***.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
Re: 616 Mockingbird. Because it's a slow day here at the homestead.

Hawkeye met Mockingbird (Barbara "Bobbi" Morse) in the Mark Gruenwald (written and drawn) Hawkeye miniseries (4 issues, circa 1986, I think). He was still in the Avengers and working as chief of security for Cross Technologies (around Avengers V1 #240), but was "on leave" from the Avengers because he'd broken his leg and was recuperating. Hawkeye was romantically involved with Gail (something), an employee of Cross Tech who turns out to be a decoy to keep him from looking too closely into Cross Tech's activities. Hawk meets Mock when she breaks into Cross Tech - Mock is a former SHIELD agent who exposed corruption inside SHIELD and saved Fury's life, but has since gone solo. (She was also has a PhD in biology - though you'd never know it - and was briefly called the Huntress until DC protested. In addition to being a top SHIELD agent, she was also sent to the Savage Lands to be Ka-Zar's requisite-blonde-in-distress for a bit.)

Mockingbird likes him from the get-go, but Hawk is still hung up on being betrayed by Gail (at this point the relationship with the Black Widow has been over for YEARS, even by Marvel Time standards). It turns out, of course, that Cross Tech is really run by (dun.. dun.. DUN!) Crossfire, an evil villain dressed in red who turns out to be one of the most expositionally didactic villains EVER. ("Yes, Hawkeye! I am CROSSFIRE, Master Subversive, Brainwasher, and Entrepreneur!" - interesting business school this guy went to.) He has his very strange underlings - Oddball, who juggles explosive balls (honest!) and the very buxom Bombshell and Silencer, who is, ummm, silent - capture Hawkeye and Mockingbird. Crossfire has one of those insane villain plots - he has a "sonic ray" which drives men mad and causes them to fight each other to the death and he decides to try it out on Hawk and Mock. He wants them to kill each other, and then he'll dump their bodies. He also just HAPPENS to run the largest mortuary in New York, and he's counting on the fact that the Avengers will bring Hawkeye's body to him. Then, when all the Avengers and the rest of New York's superhero community are at the funeral home, mourning poor dead Hawkeye, he'll turn the sonic death ray on all of them and they'll all fight each other to the death (this "dream sequence" is shown in a 2 page splash panel.)

So... Hawk and Mock get tossed into a room, Crossfire turns the ray on, and they start to mindlessly fight (not, of course before they admit to each other that they are mutually attracted). Hawk is stronger than Mock, but Mock is better trained in serious (ie: deadly) fighting skills. For reasons that neither Hawkeye nor I can figure out, Crossfire turns the sonic ray (yeah, okay, I LOVE the stupidity of that phrase) off in mid-fight, giving them a moment to recoup. Hawkeye finds that he has a sonic arrowhead left, puts it in his mouth, and when the sonic ray starts up again, is able to withstand it. It renders him virtually deaf, though (more about that later). He manages to knock Mockingbird out and then appears to pass out. The henchpersons come to collect their bodies, and he knocks both of them out and goes after Crossfire. In the controlroom (where he had been observing the fight), Crossfire is waiting for him, ready to shoot him, fittingly, with his own bow. One problem - the bow is strung to 250 lbs (yeah, yeah, don't start. I know) and Crossfire can't pull the bow and the arrow falls harmlessly and Hawk defeats him.

At the end of the comic, the police are rounding up all the bad guys and Hawkeye is trying to pretend he isn't now deaf. Mockingbird gives him the "we're such a good team; shouldn't we continue our teamup somewhere more comfortable?" speech. (Okay, I paraphrase.) Hawkeye nods, says something like "thanks, pal" and walks off.

Last scene of the comic is a honeymooner's cabin off in the woods - his costume and hers are on the bed and they are - I kid you not - nekkid in a heart-shaped pink hot tub (with appropriate strategic bubbles). She's telling him what an idiot he is for trying to hide the problem and that he needs to be grateful to her for approximately the rest of his life that she was annoyed enough to chase him down and make him tell her what was wrong. He calls her "Mrs. Hawkeye" and agrees with her.

Say it with me now - awwwwwwwww.

Unfortunately the wedded bliss did not last, for a variety of reasons. They went on to the West Coast Avengers but split up for quite some time, and shortly after they got back together again, Bobbi was sacrificed to the stupid gods of comic book marketing ("An Avenger Dies This Issue!") in WCA #100.

As for Hawkeye's deafness, it was one of those continuity things that writers either didn't want to use or forgot about, because that didn't last long, either. Kurt Busiek did some fancy-footed explaining - in one of the Annuals? Giant-sized Avengers? I forget which - but the final explanation is "he got better."
 
Last edited:

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
680
Location
Iowa
Rhyo said:
Re: 616 Mockingbird. Because it's a slow day here at the homestead.

Hawkeye met Mockingbird (Barbara "Bobbi" Morse) in the Mark Gruenwald (written and drawn) Hawkeye miniseries (4 issues, circa 1986, I think). He was still in the Avengers and working as chief of security for Cross Technologies (around Avengers V1 #240), but was "on leave" from the Avengers because he'd broken his leg and was recuperating. Hawkeye was romantically involved with Gail (something), an employee of Cross Tech who turns out to be a decoy to keep him from looking too closely into Cross Tech's activities. Hawk meets Mock when she breaks into Cross Tech - Mock is a former SHIELD agent who exposed corruption inside SHIELD and saved Fury's life, but has since gone solo. (She was also has a PhD in biology - though you'd never know it - and was briefly called the Huntress until DC protested. In addition to being a top SHIELD agent, she was also sent to the Savage Lands to be Ka-Zar's requisite-blonde-in-distress for a bit.)

Mockingbird likes him from the get-go, but Hawk is still hung up on being betrayed by Gail (at this point the relationship with the Black Widow has been over for YEARS, even by Marvel Time standards). It turns out, of course, that Cross Tech is really run by (dun.. dun.. DUN!) Crossfire, an evil villain dressed in red who turns out to be one of the most expositionally didactic villains EVER. ("Yes, Hawkeye! I am CROSSFIRE, Master Subversive, Brainwasher, and Entrepreneur!" - interesting business school this guy went to.) He has his very strange underlings - Oddball, who juggles explosive balls (honest!) and the very buxom Bombshell and Silencer, who is, ummm, silent - capture Hawkeye and Mockingbird. Crossfire has one of those insane villain plots - he has a "sonic ray" which drives men mad and causes them to fight each other to the death and he decides to try it out on Hawk and Mock. He wants them to kill each other, and then he'll dump their bodies. He also just HAPPENS to run the largest mortuary in New York, and he's counting on the fact that the Avengers will bring Hawkeye's body to him. Then, when all the Avengers and the rest of New York's superhero community are at the funeral home, mourning poor dead Hawkeye, he'll turn the sonic death ray on all of them and they'll all fight each other to the death (this "dream sequence" is shown in a 2 page splash panel.)

So... Hawk and Mock get tossed into a room, Crossfire turns the ray on, and they start to mindlessly fight (not, of course before they admit to each other that they are mutually attracted). Hawk is stronger than Mock, but Mock is better trained in serious (ie: deadly) fighting skills. For reasons that neither Hawkeye nor I can figure out, Crossfire turns the sonic ray (yeah, okay, I LOVE the stupidity of that phrase) off in mid-fight, giving them a moment to recoup. Hawkeye finds that he has a sonic arrowhead left, puts it in his mouth, and when the sonic ray starts up again, is able to withstand it. It renders him virtually deaf, though (more about that later). He manages to knock Mockingbird out and then appears to pass out. The henchpersons come to collect their bodies, and he knocks both of them out and goes after Crossfire. In the controlroom (where he had been observing the fight), Crossfire is waiting for him, ready to shoot him, fittingly, with his own bow. One problem - the bow is strung to 250 lbs (yeah, yeah, don't start. I know) and Crossfire can't pull the bow and the arrow falls harmlessly and Hawk defeats him.

At the end of the comic, the police are rounding up all the bad guys and Hawkeye is trying to pretend he isn't now deaf. Mockingbird gives him the "we're such a good team; shouldn't we continue our teamup somewhere more comfortable?" speech. (Okay, I paraphrase.) Hawkeye nods, says something like "thanks, pal" and walks off.

Last scene of the comic is a honeymooner's cabin off in the woods - his costume and hers are on the bed and they are - I kid you not - nekkid in a heart-shaped pink hot tub (with appropriate strategic bubbles). She's telling him what an idiot he is for trying to hide the problem and that he needs to be grateful to her for approximately the rest of his life that she was annoyed enough to chase him down and make him tell her what was wrong. He calls her "Mrs. Hawkeye" and agrees with her.

Say it with me now - awwwwwwwww.

Unfortunately the wedded bliss did not last, for a variety of reasons. They went on to the West Coast Avengers but split up for quite some time, and shortly after they got back together again, Bobbi was sacrificed to the stupid gods of comic book marketing ("An Avenger Dies This Issue!") in WCA #100.

As for Hawkeye's deafness, it was one of those continuity things that writers either didn't want to use or forgot about, because that didn't last long, either. Kurt Busiek did some fancy-footed explaining - in one of the Annuals? Giant-sized Avengers? I forget which - but the final explanation is "he got better."

Thanks, I had only red one 616 Hawkeye/Mockingbird story, and assumed some of the things that I had put. Thanks for clarification. The rest of My info came from 'Marvel Universe Handbook: Book of the Dead'.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
Hawkeye101 said:
The rest of My info came from 'Marvel Universe Handbook: Book of the Dead'.

Does it really say that Mock has a superpower? Because nothing I've ever read (the West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast stories, the Solo Avengers spotlights) ever even hinted that.

The closest thing she has to a superpower is sarcastic wit, which she allegedly uses to enrage opponents into unwise attacks. That was the theory, anyway, but most writers had trouble with the "sarcastic wit" thing and she ends up sounding shrill or *****y. Her best zingers were usually used against Hawkeye. Gotta hand him that, he's always been attracted to women who were at LEAST his equal, if not even actually able to hand him his head. For the most part, male egos in the superhero world don't allow that.
 

Latest posts

Top