Ultimate Power artist to be Greg Land

MoS

According to the Cup o' Joe panel at WW Philly:

Greg Land has been named as the artist on the October-launching Ultimate power miniseries that has the Ultimate Universe meet the world of J. Michael Straczynski's Supreme Power.

For those coing in late, Ultimate Power will run nine issues, and will be written by (three issues each) Jeph Loeb, Brian Bendis, and Straczynski.

Ah, well, another Ultimate series I don't have to buy. There aren't many artists that I won't buy, but his current style of photo-real puts him on that (very short) list.

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate Power: artist to be Greg Land

ultimatedjf said:
I like his artwork. :?

We've gone over this before on this board, but his stuff looks too static and posed to me - rather than helping to tell the story, it's just sort of "freeze-frame" like a movie still. Plus, about 90% of the time, the women he draws look like "spokesmodels" about to reach for a product to pitch, rather than characters in the story. I actually liked his stuff on the old Birds of Prey issues he did - I just can't stand this new "super Photoshop" looking stuff.

Rhyo said:
We've gone over this before on this board, but his stuff looks too static and posed to me - rather than helping to tell the story, it's just sort of "freeze-frame" like a movie still. Plus, about 90% of the time, the women he draws look like "spokesmodels" about to reach for a product to pitch, rather than characters in the story. I actually liked his stuff on the old Birds of Prey issues he did - I just can't stand this new "super Photoshop" looking stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But in UFF #30, the only page I thought it looked really bad was where Johnny was rescuing that girl. I mean, did you see how weird her face was? But other than that, I don't mind if he's "photoshopping" -- it still looks way better than most artists. I guess it just depends upon whether it qualifies as "cheating" on his artwork.

ultimatedjf said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. But in UFF #30, the only page I thought it looked really bad was where Johnny was rescuing that girl. I mean, did you see how weird her face was? But other than that, I don't mind if he's "photoshopping" -- it still looks way better than most artists. I guess it just depends upon whether it qualifies as "cheating" on his artwork.

Nope, I stopped reading it because of Land after the first "Namor" issue.

It's not that I think he's cheating by using Photoshop - there are many artists who do strictly digital work. Plus, even some of my favorites use photo references to various degrees. (Hitch in the scene where Pietro and Wanda are in Venice, Epting in a castle scene in Captain America.) It's that the degree to which he uses it makes the art seem like a strange combination of three dimensional yet lifeless.

I'm. . .underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong, I like Land, but I was expecting a fresh Ultimate U artist. I'm still getting the mini, as the premise sounds good (And I'm a completist), but, it's not what I was expecting.

On a side note: Who the hell are those girls in the preview? Villians the SS and Ultimate U have to take down? And what Universe are they from?

Last edited:
Wasn't this supposed to be some big blockbuster reveal? And it's just Land? We already know about him!

Oh, well. At least it should have good art.

Rhyo said:
According to the Cup o' Joe panel at WW Philly:

For those coing in late, Ultimate Power will run nine issues, and will be written by (three issues each) Jeph Loeb, Brian Bendis, and Straczynski.

they tried that with "the other" and look how that turned out....... evn in Wizard Magazine they knew they screwed it up because of to many creative writers
It was in the J Straczynski interview about Spider-man issue 176

jtg3885 said:
Great. So we can look forward to more females who all look like Emma Frost.
Is that scarcasm????

jtg3885 said:
Great. So we can look forward to more females who all look like Emma Frost.

I'm surprised that you, of all people, would have a problem with that.

Ice said:
You know this so means that Silvestri is doing whatever they changed the title of "Ultimate Invasion".

Bendis just thinks he's clever by lying.

I bet its still called Ultimate Invasion, too.

Ice said:
You know this so means that Silvestri is doing whatever they changed the title of "Ultimate Invasion".

Absolutely.

Lynx said:
Bendis just thinks he's clever by lying.

I bet its still called Ultimate Invasion, too.

I would almost bet on it.

E said:
I'm surprised that you, of all people, would have a problem with that.
In my dirty dreams, more Emmas is never bad. When you have Sue Storm, Emma Frost, and Jean Grey all looking relatively identical (distinguishable only by outfit in the Sue/Emma case and coloration in the Emma/Jean case), it's bad. I'd honestly be surprised if they DON'T bring models in and pay them to do pictures while posed to resemble each panel Land has to draw.

jtg3885 said:
In my dirty dreams, more Emmas is never bad. When you have Sue Storm, Emma Frost, and Jean Grey all looking relatively identical (distinguishable only by outfit in the Sue/Emma case and coloration in the Emma/Jean case), it's bad. I'd honestly be surprised if they DON'T bring models in and pay them to do pictures while posed to resemble each panel Land has to draw.

That is my only major complaint with Land's work. ALl the women look the same. The exact same. And in some panels...Johnny Storm looks like Emma Frost.

I agree with Rhyo though too because it doesn't look like a comic book....more along the line of a freezeframe if a movie.

I guess I gotta take the good with the bad.

I would say that the only thing I don't like about his art is how he only draws beautiful people.

Victor Von Doom said:
That is my only major complaint with Land's work. ALl the women look the same. The exact same. And in some panels...Johnny Storm looks like Emma Frost.
I used some white-out on an issue of UFF and was like... "Look, it's Emma Frost getting her tonsils scraped by Namor's tongue!"

Latest posts

Back